Patient Comments: Agoraphobia - Symptoms

What were your agoraphobia symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: memep24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I've been struggling for years with what I believe to be agoraphobia! I cannot go out to eat or any social functions, even just being outside alone with my husband I get really anxious and feel nauseous. Most of my symptoms are nausea and racing heart. I take Prozac which helps only if I continually take it.

Comment from: thafantasy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I want to leave town so bad, but I haven't because of this fear I have of travelling on the highway, bridges, and going to unfamiliar places I never been before. I feel like this agoraphobia is controlling my life, and I feel very helpless and hopeless a lot of times. I don't know what makes me feel afraid to even get in a car, bus or train if I am about to travel on the highway; I am so scared that I have been just avoiding the whole situation all together. I need help, and I want to be set free from this!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am in my early 70s and after my second child was born almost 50 years ago, while shopping in a department store I suddenly got some strange feeling for no reason at all! It came on suddenly and was so scary that I had to call my husband to drive me home. Every agoraphobic person has a different story and I was quite a content woman at that time and you don't have to have problems or something traumatic or be a nervous person to get this phobia problem. Anyway, it went away for a while then while watching a program on TV on a book that explained what it was and that is how I found out I had panic attacks but still could go out. Then after moving to a different city I went right to a psychiatrist and he tried some medications that did not work. Then I got in touch with another clinic and I finally decided to take Nardil as a last resource pill and three weeks later I was driving and getting out alone. I still get panic attacks sometimes but know how to handle them and thanks to this pill, for me only one that worked. There are still certain things I can't do but all in all I am doing so much better.

10 Ways to Stop Stress