What happens after endolymphatic sac decompression surgery?
Endolymphatic sac decompression surgery is done to drain excess fluid from the inner ear. After this surgery, the operated ear is covered with a Glasscock dressing, which is a special dressing applied to keep the pressure on the site to reduce swelling. There is usually some tenderness and discomfort in the operated ear and throat (from the breathing tube inserted during surgery), which may be controlled by painkillers. Hospital admission is usually not required because the procedure may be done on an outpatient basis. The patient may receive a prescription for the following medications once they leave the hospital
- Pain medicines
- Antinausea medicine (not always)
- Antibiotics for four to ten days
- Steroid taper
- The bandage should be removed two days after surgery
Home care for the first few days
- Remove the cotton ball from the outermost part of the ear canal.
- Replace the cotton ball several times daily as needed to absorb drainage, if present.
- You may wash your hair three days after surgery.
- The incision behind the ear is typically covered with Steri-Strips and these should be left in place. These will remain on the wound for ten to twelve days.
- Do not blow your nose for four weeks after surgery. Sniffing is okay.
- You may only fly six weeks after surgery.
- Do not participate in vigorous physical activity, including sports, until you have a post-operative visit with your doctor. You may return to work or school if your overall condition permits. After three weeks, you may resume all of your activities, including sports and physical exercise.
- Your hearing may be worse immediately after surgery. This is due to blood accumulation within the middle ear space.
- You may hear various noises in the ear, such as cracking or popping. This is part of the normal healing process.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness, sometimes even true vertigo (spinning), is normal for up to two weeks following surgery.
Home care after the first few days
- Pain may subside gradually. Pain relief medications may be continued if the pain persists. It is normal for the top half of the ear to feel numb and this will take several months to return to normal.
- There may be a change in taste (usually described as metallic) on one side of the tongue and this usually improves within several months.
- Within two to three weeks, the Steri-Strips may be removed by the doctor.
- After the Steri-Strips are removed, the incision site may be cleaned gently with peroxide once or twice daily until no crusting is noted. A thin layer of antibiotic ointment is helpful for seven days after removing the Steri-Strips.
The patient may need to contact the doctor immediately if they develop any of the following
- Increased pain that is not relieved by prescription medications
- Large amounts of bleeding from the ear area
- Pus or foul-smelling drainage from the ear
- Redness in the ear area
- Temperature over 100°F on two consecutive readings
- Severe dizziness
What is endolymphatic decompression surgery?
An endolymphatic shunt or decompression surgery is a procedure that involves placing a small silicone tube in the inner ear to drain excess fluid. This procedure can reverse the damage to the ear due to fluid buildup. It can also provide relief from associated symptoms, such as hearing loss and dizziness. A small amount of bone is removed around the endolymphatic sac (the fluid-filled sac-like structure in the inner ear). This process reduces the pressure of the fluid in the sac. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. Decompression of the endolymphatic sac involves reducing pressure in this space. It is considered a conservative procedure because of the low rate of hearing loss and high success rate of vertigo control.
Reason for surgery
Endolymphatic sac decompression is the most appropriate for patients who are experiencing vertigo (dizziness and room spinning episodes) attacks associated with Meniere disease (a disorder affecting the inner ear). Meniere disease may present with the following symptoms
What is the outcome of endolymphatic decompression surgery?
Endolymphatic shunt surgery is considered a low morbidity procedure. It has been reported to achieve complete or substantial control of vertigo in 81 percent of patients, with significant improvement in hearing in about 20 percent. Overall, there is a 60 percent chance of curing vertigo, a 20 percent chance that the attacks will remain at the same level of severity, and a 20 percent chance that the attacks will get worse. The patient's vertigo usually improves even if the hearing does not improve.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top After Endolymphatic Sac Decompression Surgery Related Articles
Balance SlideshowWhat is vertigo? What causes dizziness? Understand different balance disorders and symptoms such as vertigo, motion sickness, nausea, and more.
Hearing LossHearing loss (deafness) may be present at birth or it may manifest later in life. Deafness may be genetic or due to damage from noise. Treatment of deafness depends upon its cause. Sensorineural hearing loss can be caused by conditions affecting the cochlea, eighth cranial nerve, spinal cord, or brain. Examples of conditions that can lead to sensorineural hearing loss include Meniere's disease, noise-induced hearing loss, hearing loss of aging (presbycusis), nerve injury from syphilis, hearing loss of unknown cause (idiopathic hearing loss), nerve tumors, and drug toxicity (such as aspirin and aminoglycosides).
Detecting Hearing Loss in ChildrenThere are many degrees of hearing, from normal hearing to deafness. Many states mandate the testing of newborns before leaving the hospital. The risk factors for hearing loss in children include
- a family history of hearing loss,
- frequent ear infections,
- diagnosis of a learning disability,
- syndromes associated with hearing loss,
- speech delay, and
- infectious diseases that cause hearing loss.
- the child not responding to his or her name,
- the child asking for words to be repeated, and
- the child not paying attention to what is being said.
DizzinessDizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness include low blood pressure, heart problems, anemia, dehydration, and other medical conditions. Treatment of dizziness depends on the cause.
Hearing Loss: Causes of Hearing LossProblems with your ears like ear infections can cause signs of hearing loss. This may be sensorineural hearing loss or conductive hearing loss. Learn how loud noises can induce hearing loss, the signs of hearing loss, and different ways you can prevent hearing problems.
Hearing Losss QuizCan hearing loss be reversed? Take this quiz to find out!
How Can I Unclog My Ears at Home?Clogged or stuffy ears may cause considerable discomfort that includes ear fullness, dizziness, muffled hearing, ringing in the ears and ear pain. Home remedies to unclog your ears include chewing, ear irrigation, performing the Valsalva maneuver, applying warm compresses, using OTC nasal decongestants or or putting oil drops or hydrogen peroxide into the affected ear.
Neck Pain and DizzinessNeck pain and dizziness are both symptoms that may result from several causes and risk factors. Check out the center below for more medical references on neck pain and dizziness, including multimedia (slideshows, images, and quizzes), related disease conditions, treatment and diagnosis, medications, and prevention or wellness.
Noise-Induced Hearing Loss and Its PreventionNoise-induced hearing loss may be an acoustic trauma, which causes temporary hearing loss, or it may be permanent due to an acute acoustic trauma. Experts agree that continual exposure to more than 85 dBs (decibels) is dangerous to the ears. Ear plugs and ear muffs can help prevent noise-induced hearing loss as well as decreasing exposure to loud noises.
Tinnitus is described as a throbbing, ringing, clicking, or buzzing in one or both ears. Tinnitus is caused by trauma to the ear, over exposure to loud noises, medication, and diseases or infections of the ear such as multiple sclerosis, TMJ, autistic neruoma, Meniere's disease, hearing loss, and aging. Treatments include medication, tinnitus masking, retraining therapy, and relief therapy.
Tinnitus QuizIs tinnitus just a nuisance or a symptom of a serious medical condition? Take the Tinnitus Quiz to find out!
Tinnitus SlideshowWhat is tinnitus? Explore tinnitus (ringing in the ears) causes, symptoms, relief remedies, treatments and prevention tips. Learn about pulsatile tinnitus.
How Do You Get Rid of Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)?
Tinnitus is not a condition in itself, but a symptom of some other condition that causes a high-pitched whine, a ringing, buzzing or clicking in the ears. It can come from any number of problems starting with the eardrum and cochlea – the organs that turn sound waves into electrical signals for the brain to interpret as sound.
Vertigo QuizTake the quiz and find out the causes, symptoms, treatments, and ways to prevent the confusing balance disorder called vertigo.
What Can Trigger Vertigo?Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or spinal cord or a problem within in the inner ear. Head injuries, certain medications, and female gender are associated with a higher risk of vertigo. Medical history, a physical exam, and sometimes an MRI or CT scan are required to diagnose vertigo. The treatment of vertigo may include medication, special exercises to reposition loose crystals in the inner ear, or exercises designed to help the patient re-establish a sense of equilibrium. Controlling risk factors for stroke (blood pressure, weight, cholesterol, and blood glucose) may decrease the risk of developing vertigo.
What Is the Most Effective Treatment For Tinnitus?Tinnitus is the perception of abnormal sounds in the ears. Tinnitus may sound like ringing, bussing, roaring, clicking, hissing, or humming in one or both ears. Tinnitus is not a disease itself. Tinnitus is usually a manifestation of an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss, ear injury, or circulatory system disorder. However, in many cases, there is no identifiable cause.