- Type 2 Diabetes: Learn the Warning Signs
- Diabetes Friendly Dining
- Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
- What is lixisenatide, and how does it work?
- What brand names are available for lixisenatide?
- Is lixisenatide available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for lixisenatide?
- What are the uses for lixisenatide?
- What are the side effects of lixisenatide?
- What is the dosage for lixisenatide?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with lixisenatide?
- Is lixisenatide safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about lixisenatide?
What is lixisenatide, and how does it work?
- Lixisenatide is an injectable drug that reduces the level of sugar (glucose) in the blood. It is used for the treatment type 2 diabetes and is similar to
- Lixisenatide belongs in a class of drugs called incretin mimetics because these drugs mimic the effects of incretins. Incretins, such as human-glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), are hormones that are produced and released into the blood by the intestine in response to food. GLP-1 increases the secretion of insulin from the pancreas, slows absorption of glucose from the gut, and reduces the action of glucagon. (Glucagon is a hormone that increases glucose production by the liver.) All three of these actions reduce levels of glucose in the blood. In addition, GLP-1 reduces appetite. Lixisenatide is a synthetic (man-made) hormone that resembles and acts like GLP-1. In studies, lixisenatide treated patients achieved lower blood glucose levels and experienced weight loss.
What brand names are available for lixisenatide?
- Adlyxin is the brand name available for lixisenatide available in the US.
What are the uses for lixisenatide?
What are the side effects of lixisenatide?
Common side effects of include:
- Hypoglycemia (when combined with insulin or sulfonyrea)
Other possible side effects of include:
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Upper abdominal pain
- Abdominal distension
- Abdominal pain
- Injection site reactions (pain, redness, itching)
Possible serious side effects of include:
Latest Diabetes News
Daily Health News
What is the dosage for lixisenatide?
- The recommended starting dose of Adlyxin is 10 mcg injected under the skins (subcutaneously) once daily for 14 days.
- The dose should be increased on day 15 to the maintenance dose of 20 mcg once daily.
Which drugs or supplements interact with lixisenatide?
- Adlyxin slows down transit of food and drugs through the intestine and, therefore, may reduce the absorption of drugs that are taken by mouth. Caution should be used when combining Adlyxin with oral medications that have a narrow therapeutic ratio or that require careful monitoring. If these medications are to be taken with food they should be taken with a meal or snack when Adlyxin is not administered.
- Oral medications such as antibiotics, or medications, for example acetaminophen (Tylenol) whose effects shouldn't be delayed should be taken at least 1 hour before Adlyxin injection.
- Oral contraceptives should be taken at least 1 hour before Adlyxin administration or at least 11 hours after an injection of Adlyxin.
- Combining Adlyxin with insulin or drugs that stimulate release of insulin, for example, glyburide (Micronase, Diabeta, Glynase, Prestab) may increase the occurrence of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The dose of insulin or the insulin release stimulating drug should be reduced.
Is lixisenatide safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What else should I know about lixisenatide?
What preparations of lixisenatide are available?
- Injection (Prefilled Pen): 50, 100 mcg/mL
How should I keep lixisenatide stored?
- Adlyxin pen should be kept in the package to protect it from light and it should be stored in a refrigerator at 2 C to 8 C (36 F to 46 F) prior to use.
- It should not be frozen.
- After first use, it should be stored below 30 C (86 F).
- The pen cap should be replaced after each use to protect it from light.
- The pen should discarded 14 days after first use.
When was lixisenatide approved by the FDA?
- The FDA approved lixisenatide in July 2016.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fat and Fats Quiz: Fatty Food & Body Fat Percentage
Take this online Fat & Fats Quiz to learn if you really are what you eat!...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Exercise and Fitness Quiz: Test Your IQ
Take our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
10 Tips for a Healthier Fast Food Diet
Losing weight is tough on the road. Fast food can't compare to the health of a well-planned, balanced diet. But if you must eat...
10 Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches: Unhealthy Choices in Pictures
Want to know what the good and bad fast-food sandwiches choices are? Our experts explore the nutrition facts of major restaurant...
Fat-Burning Foods in Pictures: Blueberries, Green Tea, and More
Learn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising...
Benefits of Exercise: Fitness Facts Prove the Benefits of Working Out
These fitness facts explain why to get in shape. Check out these health facts on the benefits of exercise....
No-Gym Workout in Pictures: Equipment, Routines, and More
Learn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and...
Exercise and Fitness: 10 Budget-Friendly Exercise Gadgets
There are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes,...
Worst-Appetizer Pictures: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Easy, Tasty Grilled Foods for Dinner Tonight in Pictures
Explore easy and tasty grilled foods. When your rushed to get dinner on the table, fire up the grill and use these delicious,...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
Learn 13 easy ways to add more greens to your diet. Discover how to add kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and more into your diet....
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Exercise and Fitness: The 7-Minute Workout
The 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Healthy Eating: 16 Resolutions for Better Habits
Is eating better one of your New Year's resolutions? Get tips for healthier eating habits to incorporate into daily life...
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes-Related Dental Problems
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.