Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Symptoms related to inattention include
- trouble paying attention in school or work,
- the appearance of not listening,
- failing to complete assigned tasks,
- avoidance of activities that require sustained focus,
- losing things, and
- being easily distracted.
Symptoms related to hyperactivity include
- frequent talking,
- trouble paying attention, and
- trying to do multiple things at once.
Children and adults with ADHD may also have symptoms like
- low tolerance for frustration,
- poor self-image,
- mood swings, and
- "hyperfocus," a tendency to intensely focus on one task or event that precludes focus on other necessary tasks.
Soreff, Stephen. "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder." Medscape.com. Jan. 31, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289350-overview>.
Main Article on ADHD Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
ADHD Symptoms in Children
What is ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)? Learn to recognize ADHD symptoms in children....
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
Adult ADHD Quiz: Symptoms & Test
What are the symptoms of adult ADHD? Take this quiz to learn what it means for an adult to suffer from ADHD and what can be done...
Adult ADHD: Organization and Time-Management Tips in Pictures
Learn daily living tips for adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). If you have ADHD or you just need to get...
Childhood ADHD Quiz: Test, Symptoms & Medication
Find out causes, symptoms, and treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, a widespread behavioral condition...
Other Causes of ADHD Symptoms and Signs
- Avoidance of Activities Involving Sustained Focus
- Decreased Awareness of Consequences
- Decreased Motivation
- Frequent Talking
- Mood Swings
- Poor Self-Image
- Trouble Completing Assigned Tasks
- Trouble Concentrating
- Trouble Prioritizing
- Trouble Waiting One's Turn
Examples of Medications for ADHD Symptoms and Signs
- Adderall vs. Concerta
- Adderall vs. Dexedrine
- amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, Adderall, Adderall XR
- Atomoxetine vs. Adderall
- dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dextrostat, ProCentra, Zenzedi)
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- Kapvay (clonidine extended-release)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Ritalin LA, Concerta, Methylin, Methylin ER, Daytrana)
- methylphenidate hydrochloride (Quillivant XR)
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- Strattera (atomoxetine)
- Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)
- Vyvanse vs. Strattera
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter