Patient Comments: ADHD in Children - Diagnosis

How did physicians diagnose ADHD in your child? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BELLE, Published: December 29

I have been having a woozy head as if something rushes over my brain and I feel like I could pass out. I sleep well and this does not bother me all the time, but I have had a lot in this last month. I do have high blood pressure that is under control now. But it was high, with mitral valve prolapse that reads moderate in my echo taken recently. I am looking for an answer. I am not a person who sits down, I enjoy goodness.

Comment from: lahas, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

My attention deficit hyperactivity disorder was diagnosed because I have problems focusing on things.

Comment from: ADHDgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was referred to the psychiatry department from my primary doctor. I went in for an initial intake consultation with a psychiatrist /social worker. He did a psychiatric assessment, a full evaluation and a series of tests or questions relating to my life, lifestyle, symptoms, etc. He recommended that I start a treatment plan which included medication and behavioral classes. I went the following week to a psychiatrist who did another assessment and asked more questions. I was relieved to know that I was finally going to get the help I needed. I was prescribed 5 mg Adderall, 2-3 times daily. So far so good. I was very impressed with the care I got in for ADHD.

Comment from: kararocks3889, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in first grade. By the time high school came, the doctors told me that I outgrew this behavior.

Comment from: Elveretta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been on Adderall XR for a little over a year. It was a GOD send for me. I was able to remember, learn new things, ect. I recently had a mental break down and was sent to a new Psychiatrist, he took me off Adderall and put me on Vyvanse 40mg., after about 7 days I thought I could tell that it might be working, but not much, after the 7 days I started to be unable to sleep. I tried Rozerem . My Dr. had given to me a few week's earlier, but I didn't want to take it. The first few nights it worked then I was unable to sleep again, I feel like the new medication Vyvanse is keeking me awake. When my doctor had started me on the Adderall a year, ago it didn't keep me awake. The Adderall seems to help me more, I can't tell much from the Vyvanse except it won't let me sleep.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Through most of my life I had always felt being different from other children my age. I seem to be the one who is in trouble consistently. I was often the focal point of my father's wrath which I discovered was a form of emotional and mental abuse. I also had an uncanny ability to spot details other people often miss. It wasn't until 1993 when I met a person who changed my life. My friend recognized some of the symptoms of ADHD and urged me to get tested for it. In 1995 I was formally diagnosed with ADHD. After that key year questions which had bothered me through most of my life began to make sense.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter