Patient Comments: Addison's Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms at the onset of your Addison's disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Greenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been diagnosed with Addison's disease and polyglandular endocrine syndrome for 10 years and in that time have had approximately 6 crises, the first and worst upon my diagnosis. In this episode, I was extremely sick, vomiting, weak (couldn't walk 10 mtrs), severe weight loss, experiencing black outs and giddiness and was admitted to hospital with a blood pressure of only 43/32. I was lucky to be diagnosed before going unconscious. Since then, my crises have included symptoms such as dizziness, vomiting and weakness (voice often goes too). Each time I have been admitted to hospital for approximately 2 to 3 days, undergone emergency hydrocortisone treatment and IV fluids and remained on these for approximately 24 to 48 hours. Blood pressure has always remained low for a few days and I have not been discharged until this has been in the relatively low-normal range.

Comment from: Tell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been through the ringer, just as I have read so many people have before being diagnosed. I have finally found a doctor that looked at me and said it is Addison's disease. In two years I have had 2 spinal fusions! In between I had my foot pinned. Then diverticulitis where part of my colon was removed. I have suffered ever since; with vomiting, weakness, and weight loss. I am too old to be this skinny. I have skin changes and been passing out; one scared lady. This doctor thinks thyroid is an issue as well since he can see it from across his desk.

Comment from: Roxanne, Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was just diagnosed with Addison's disease. To be honest, I thought I was pregnant and that the tests were just missing it. For the last 6 months my health has been deteriorating. It started with extreme nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, strong sense of smell, food cravings and aversions, loss of appetite, faintness, headaches, backaches, cramping, frequent urination, sensitivity to touch and a loss of menstruation. (Can anyone blame me for thinking of pregnancy first?) I was screened for thyroid disorders, diabetes, cancer, tumors/cysts on ovaries, breasts, pituitary gland, anemia, vitamin deficiency, celiac, etc. The last three weeks the dizziness got worse, to the point where I have been holding on to the wall to get anywhere, and spend hours on my kitchen floor because I am too tired and dizzy to get up after collapsing. When I went to the doctor he watched as my head lolled around on my body, confusion as I tried to answer his questions, and my blood pressure dropped upon standing. The vertical tracking in my eyes lagged, my speech was slurred and I had weakness in my arms, shaking in my legs. He asked about discoloration of the skin, and I pointed to the dark spots that have recently appeared on my face. I also have it on my nipples, armpits and on my stomach, new freckles all over my body, as well as the sudden appearance of cherry angiomas (red dots), and darkening of old stretch marks and scars. My weight hasn't changed, but my breasts have grown 2 cup sizes, I have been lactating and my abdomen is distended (odd, I know) which my doctor thinks may be swelling, but refuses to rule out the possibility of a pituitary tumor. I am awaiting a head CT. I just started on hydrocortisone today, and got a referral for an endocrinologist. I hope it helps relieve this soon.

Comment from: Janey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a biopsy done on my chest area about 1990. The problem was about the size of a pimple. The surgeon cut in from both ends and removed the spot. I had a scar about an inch long which looked so bad I always kept it covered with higher necks or a scarf. I developed 3 large keloids on the scar which not only looked bad, but were so painful and would wake me up at night. I finally had reconstruction surgery as I could no longer stand the pain. My scar is now 3 1/2 inches long and I was told it would take 6 to 8 months to heal. I am hoping this will take away a lot of the pain and not develop into something worse. More research is needed.

Comment from: looby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am in the process of being tested for Addison's disease after years of feeling fatigued, exercise intolerant, breathless and now nausea, some sort of confusion; it's weird, I started off really foggy and now I just can't seem to think straight. Spelling is out the door for me. I get dizzy at the drop of a hat, can't stand for more than a few minutes. I have painful shoulder and neck because of a spasmed muscle. I used to eat really healthy, now I just eat when I can, because I just don't feel like it anymore. My tummy is always upset. I have to be careful if I get upset because that sets me back majorly. My last test of cortisol was 2 in the morning and 7 at night. Because my cortisol was 7 at night, within range, the doctor I was seeing wouldn't do anything. So I am heading to home country and the doctor there will do something, thankfully. I am so tired even after 10 hours of sleep!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had Addison's disease since 1992 and have learned to cope with it pretty well. I was sick for months, and almost died before the diagnosis due to flippant medical care, that prescribed all kinds of medicines for different ailments I didn't have. I lost 30 pounds, started turning very tan and did see an endocrinologist, who failed to diagnose it, as she found I was hypothyroid. It is important I think to see a doctor that knows you and knows what you are supposed to look like. My son's pediatrician finally put a name to it the day I was about to shut down. I checked myself into a hospital that night, and my lab tests were so bad they didn't want me to sleep. I was treated and felt born again. I up my dosage if sick or dragging. And my voice gets deeper if I don't have enough medicine in me. I take Florinef and prednisone, and have taken Cortef in the past as well.

Comment from: Mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had 3 years of extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting, muscle aches, salt cravings, diarrhea, loss of appetite, stomach pain, tanned skin, and weight loss. Many emergency room (ER) visits and hospitalizations resulted in being diagnosed with anorexia, dehydration, and alcoholism (I had not had alcohol in three years). Finally after reaching a weight of 85 pounds did a physician consult endocrinology! He took a look at me and said 'I am 99% positive you have Addison's!' A cortisol stimulation test confirmed it. I am much better. I still fatigue easily. And I have a tan all year long!

Comment from: sb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I seemed to be nauseated, had diarrhea, or I was vomiting most of my waking hours. I was so exhausted, weak, and achy and many times felt faint, with low blood pressure. Always being a very light sleeper for as long as I can remember, I should have noticed how deeply I was sleeping when my sister could not get me to answer my door for almost a half hour. I went to my primary care physician and had lost over 30 pounds and had no appetite and thought I was dying! I was depressed and scared to death. My doctor said he would look at my chart (I had been seeing him for over 12 years, fairly sizeable chart) from front to back and promised he would do everything within his power to find out what was wrong with me. He did, after much blood work and urine tests... Addison"s disease! I got on hydrocortisone and have done better but I"m still so tired all the time. But the nausea, diarrhea, extremely low blood pressure and loss of appetite have gone. And my cardiologist found (when I wore a monitor) that at night my heart rate would go down to 22 and there were times that my heart did not beat at all for 8 seconds. So now I have a pacemaker. I don"t know if that is related to the Addison"s. I was diagnosed in July of 2011 with the first stage of Addison"s. Is there a second or a third stage or does something else happen! At the time I was diagnosed with Addison"s my doctor said I had the first stage of kidney disease. So, is that what is next? I now have so much swelling in my ankles and calves that my body seriously almost looks deformed. And, oh yes, I do take a fluid pill and it stills happens every day!

Comment from: Deborah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with Addison"s disease 3 years ago at the age of 51. I had noticed increased pigmentation to my skin, fatigue, frequent episodes of nausea, vomiting, dizziness, shortness of breath, and weight loss for a few years before diagnosis. I related these symptoms to overworking and age. I ended up in an adrenal crisis from influenza and was hospitalized due to low sodium level. The physician performed lab tests and finally came up with the diagnosis of Addison"s disease. I remember how much better I felt after receiving steroids.

Comment from: lisakabalu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was exhausted to the point of falling asleep at the traffic lights! I hadn"t noticed weight loss because I was on a weight loss plan anyway. I was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis, and an interactive thyroid but I still slept most of the day plus the nights. Eventually I was referred to an endocrinologist who spotted Addison"s disease immediately and started me on steroids. Though they have made some difference I am still exhausted most of the time.

Comment from: msullivan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease last month. I am currently 30 years old. I have had some sort of symptoms for 2 years. They started with just fatigue, anxiety, depression, lightheadedness upon standing, and acid reflux. I also developed hypothyroidism a year and a half ago. The past 5 months I had to go to the hospital 4 times. The 3rd time they finally diagnosed me with autoimmune Addison's disease. I was experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, fatigue, drowsiness, my skin was dry and darker, achy joints, nonstop nausea, weight loss, and anxiety. The 4th time I went to the hospital recently because I found out I needed Florinef for my electrolytes with the Cortef I was already taking. I can finally say I am feeling like myself again after 2 years.

Comment from: LongIslandImmunoProb, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

When I was in high school, I was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and ulcerative colitis (UC). After high school, I started doing much better, but by the time I was 25, I began sitting down to urinate due to exhaustion (which is weird because I'm a guy). I began having intestinal pains that the doctors chalked up to my ulcerative colitis. My skin began showing huge dark purple spots by my rib cage and on my legs. I became uber-tan, and I began to notice that unexposed areas of skin were as well. My mood went to hell, and I began lashing out at odd times. One day I got ready for work, felt sick and threw up for 10 hours. I stayed in bed for 10 days, intermittently seeing doctors who brushed me off. I threw up for many days and lost more than 20 pounds. I had a wicked sore throat. This went on for around four months. I missed a total of two weeks of work. The doctors said that I tested positive for influenza. I went in for an annual colonoscopy for the UC and was having a hard time breathing. I was also speaking very slowly and softly. I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Addison's disease after an ACTH injection.

Comment from: Vicki , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had bronze skin, with darker areas on nipple, mucous membranes, mouth, ankles, joints, etc. Also, nausea and vomiting occurred frequently, with almost no appetite. I lived on chicken noodle soup, peanut butter on a spoon, crackers and bread with butter on each piece. Sudden, very painful aches or cramps were frequently occurring in my abdominal area, stomach and sides and in my legs and feet. Tiredness and fatigue were constant, even in the mornings after a night of deep sleep, sometimes 10 and 12 hours a night. I just couldn't get going in the mornings. Right before diagnosis, I couldn't stand up longer than 5 minutes when cooking and couldn't run the vacuum cleaner or make beds for longer than 2 or 3 minutes. I had a desk job and not much energy was expended for each work day, on the days that nausea left me alone. During this period, I wrote a detailed business plan and presented it at several upper administrative meetings for the construction of a new testing lab for our office. It was accepted, even though half the time, my brain wasn't functioning very well. After diagnosis, I was flabbergasted that I had pushed myself so hard to succeed. The first week of taking hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone, I felt like a new person, 20 years younger. Everyone morning, I just hollered with joy while singing at the top of my lungs. It is great to feel well again, even with the side effects of the medications.

Comment from: Bud W., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

Having rheumatoid arthritis, neuropathy, GERD amongst other problems, I had no idea what Addison's disease was until my doctor informed me. No one explained to me the severity of the disease and I put it on the back burner. All the symptoms of Addison's mirror all the other ailments I possess and I don't feel that any kind of treatment would be beneficial for me. Would it help me walk; would it slow down my breast growth; will it rebuild muscle loss or will it help my fatigue! The thought of more pills added to my arsenal doesn't excite me.

Comment from: reno911, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had Addison's disease for almost 4 years. This week I have felt very weak, tired and dizzy with nausea and headaches. I could barely take a shower without being out of breath. I went to the hospital last night. Doctors did all kinds of blood work, EKG and x-ray; they said everything seems normal. But I still feel awful, like I'm going through an Addison's crisis.

Comment from: AUgrad, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease when I was around 7 years old. For about a year, I had issues with fatigue and stomach pains. I would be in class and just fall out of my desk and then fall asleep in the back of the classroom where my teacher had been. I would not want to go outside, I would throw up repeatedly. My mother took me to the doctor multiple times during these symptoms. Every time, the doctor would reply that I looked healthy and I probably just did not like school. (I still had straight As.) It got to the point where my school expelled me until I had a clean bill of health. My mother went to my doctor and demanded he do blood work. We went back home, and the next day I was listless, tired, and puking a lot. The doctor called with the blood results and told them to rush me to the hospital. I was in an adrenal crisis. After I started the steroids, I was fine. I still love salt though!

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My sister just died of Addison's disease. She had extreme exhaustion, vomiting, couldn't keep anything down. She was in and out of the hospital, sometimes three months, sometimes two weeks. We will miss her. She had this disease for two years. She was 45 years old.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was in a car accident and suffered a concussion. I was sent home and told to rest for a week. My health began to decline, and I went to my family doctor. I was having difficulty walking, speaking, experienced confusion, severe headaches, rapid weight loss, and was sleeping 18-20 hours a day. He referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist immediately sent me to the ER. I began vomiting and my blood pressure was extremely low. I was given cortisone Iv's and my condition rapidly improved. Tests were done and it was determined that I had Addison's. For the past 20 years, I have had similar symptoms, although never as severe doctors chalked it up to depression, anorexia, low blood pressure, and that I was a hypochondriac. I still experience the fatigue, and there are still days when I have to lie down and rest. I also have to adjust my cortisone even for minor illnesses such as colds and dental procedures. My immune system is also not what it should be. I was a teacher and caught everything the kids brought in. It has been over a year and my dosage is anywhere from 25 to 40 mil. per day. Wish I could lower it, but my endocrinologist says that my tests are coming out normal on the higher dosage so I can't taper off just yet.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Addison's disease came as a rude shock for me. I am a part-time teacher, mother of five and a sports coach. I had been struggling with feeling low, always tired (thought that was motherhood) and couldn't knock off a gastro flu. I had been in bed for four days this is very unusual for me. My eldest daughter came home from school on day 4 and rang my husband saying 'mum looks weird'. That phone call probably saved my life. I was suffering from dehydration and a very low sodium count. I spent the next five days in ICU in an induced coma. When I came too the doctor's told me their diagnosis was Addison's disease. Looking back the key was tiredness, but even more was early MENOPAUSE. After 5 beautiful children I stopped menstruating at the age of 35 something was wrong. I am now learning how to deal with Addison's and my new life. I nearly lost my life in a crisis now everyday is a new day and worth living. I hope I can share my story with other women and be part of the education of people about Addison's Disease.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had tremendous exhaustion with my Addison's disease. It was so bad that I could not put socks on without taking a break and lying down. I was also tan, especially on my elbows. All I could do was lie down. Thankfully, I work from home and would sit at my computer for an hour, holding my head up the whole time and then sleep for three hours. I had been to the doctor three times because I had extreme diarrhea and vomiting at the same time for three weeks. Looking back, I had been deteriorating and was exhausted for months. But when you are in the midst of it, you can't tell what normal ever felt like. I went to the doctor for the fourth time in three weeks and he sent me immediately to the emergency room because he could not get my blood pressure and my temperature was too low.

Comment from: happygirl62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I remember at 15, I passed out while watching a parade. I went to the ER. They said I was dehydrated. Throughout my life, I would have to go to bed for weeks at a time to recover my strength. I was misdiagnosed for the next 25 years. I am 46 now with more severe symptoms and longer periods of time bedridden. I'm in bed usually three to five months in between the fall and spring. I experienced salt cravings, sugar cravings, muscle weakness, extreme fatigue, kidney pain, low blood pressure, shoulder pain … There are too many to list.

Comment from: doglover19, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My 14 year old daughter had a had time in school and making friends from first grade and up I would attend all her IEP and nobody would listen to what I had said it was how lazy she is or how mean she is. The other children day after day would make fun of her. Seemed like the school just didn't care. Then 7th grade comes the teacher would constantly pick on her until the day she snapped, ended up in the hospital for about 6 weeks she was in outpatient schooling when she returned to school we had a big meeting they changed the teacher. Summer was the only time she was happy because she was in summer school and did a great job. Well this year she seemed OK except she was getting darker actually looked dirty and she came down with an ear ache and sore throat took her to her doctor got her medication when she came off the medication she was again complaining of not feeling right until Thursday she stayed home from school because of vomiting and Friday I had found her unreceptive and vomiting called 911 found out she was in adrenal crisis. She has now been diagnosed with Addison Disease.

Comment from: kandeechick, 35-44 Female Published: September 26

I was so tired all the time, I slept most of time. I was working and would pass out a lot. I would try to eat but no matter what I ate I threw it up immediately. I was at a point where I was vomiting up bile. My skin was dark brown; it looked like I went tanning. I went from 155lbs to 93 lbs. Moody, mean. I don't remember that the doctor told my family that I was the next Karen Carpenter, I was killing myself. He said I was making myself vomit. After 8 months of trying to convince doctors that I wasn't doing this to myself I was sent to the anorexic clinic. On my way there my kidneys were failing and I was sent to the er. I had 7 drs. trying to figure out what was wrong with me on the 2nd day there an Indian doctor was flown in. He walked in my room, looked at me and said. She has Addison's disease. The third day I was eating thanks to the Cortef and was ready to go home.

Published: July 07

I was very tired all the time. I would wake up to get ready for work and have to lie down every so often. By noon, I could make it through the day. I was also losing weight without trying. I would vomit most of the night. I finally went to the doctor and she thought I was depressed and put me on anti-depressants. By this time, I was not able to work and asking for testing. My sodium was 124 the first time I went to the doctor. She told me sodium evens itself out. I finally had some major chest pains during the night and went to my boss's husband...a cardiologist. My EKG came back fine, but he figured it out that visit just by talking to me and noticing my skin was ultra dark. I went into observation at 5 p.m. and my sodium was 119. By 7 p.m. they told me it was Addison's disease.

Comment from: Candace001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have been diagnosed with adrenal mass and now have had blown out diarrhea for 10 days. There is no stool formation in my diarrhea and also I am diabetic on 4 shots of insulin a day.

Comment from: ali, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

At the onset of my Addison's disease, I experienced hyperpigmentation all over my body.

Comment from: armywife, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 29

My husband is 44 years old, and he was diagnosed a little over year ago. He is an Army veteran with PTSD. He was very ill for about eight to 12 months before his diagnosis. I would call his doctor/psychiatrist because would just fall asleep anywhere. There are no words to describe his behavior -- the doctor didn't believe me! Finally, one day at the doctor's office -- once again the doctor had ignored me -- and as we left the office, my husband said he was scared. I asked for a different doctor, and he saw a new one that who literally saved his life! He was admitted for 13 days to the hospital and seen by five people from UC Stanford who diagnosed him with Addison's disease. He was then admitted to the hospital every month for 14 months straight! He is still very ill. He was hospitalized last month and was in the emergency room three weeks ago. We cannot travel far in case he needs to go to the hospital. We are fighting to keep him alive. The doctors (after diagnosing him), and staff at the hospital where we live are doing an awesome job keeping him alive. He is on steroids, thermo-tabs (sodium tabs), and medications for incontinence, which is a result from the Addison's. He is so confused 99% of the time. He stumbles, gets very paranoid, has severe memory impairment, flakey skin, and either can't sleep and stays up (constantly doing something but usually nothing that makes sense), or he sleeps and goes into an altered level of conscience. Our daughter works at a local hospital and is a pre-med student, which is a great help, as are our boys. I keep track of his blood press and stats, and I strongly suggest this! We have been told that with his personal case, he is at risk of his bodily functions shutting down, as we already have seen with his kidneys. He has had about five to six mini-strokes at the stem of his brain in the last two to three years plus a heart attack. He has turned in his driver's license, as it is unsafe for him and the others on the road for him to drive. We (my husband, our family and I) wonder how much longer we will have him here with us.

Comment from: AddPatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Symptoms I experienced were extreme fatigue, dizziness/fainting feeling, extreme weakness and chronic pain that was not alleviated by over-the-counter pain medicines. I had some uneven dark pigmentation on the body and darkening of skin on and near scars. Also, I had an increase in headaches and nausea.

Comment from: ABZ, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I am sick feeling, have nausea, and I am vomiting. I am pale, and clammy. This occurred mostly after exercising like playing soccer or baseball in the heat.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a male age 56. I have had this disease for 20 years. When I first was told I had Addison's, I was very sick could not keep anything down, I lost alot of weight I could not stand up or I would pass out, I was told about four months before I had a rare thyroid disease and was being treated for that then I came down with Addison's after that. Everything seems to going fine I have just a few upsets a year. I lead a normal life.

Comment from: mom of AD Daughter, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

When my daughter was in the 4th grade she weighted less than 75 pounds. She ate all the time but didn't gain weight. She was going into a crises mode when I took her to the family doctor. He stated that if she wanted to eat she would. He stated she had an eating disorder. I had to take her to three different hospitals before we got the answer of Addison's Disease. This took a full week but it was worth it to save my child. She is now 17-years-old. We are still dealing and learning that there are many faces of the condition to work around: the weight, the stress, and medication testing to get things to balance out for her. She does go through depression more now and it is hard to make teenagers see that this goes along with her condition and medication for aspects are needed. She is hoping to attend college next year and work in a hospital setting to help other patients with their difficulties.

Comment from: August '08, 45-54 Female Published: August 28

I was 8 years old when I was diagnosed. I was tired a lot, especially when climbing stairs. I had no problem with appetite; I enjoyed eating, but I suffered weight loss anyway. I was much smaller than my younger sister. I was also pale and I remember the shocked look on the nurse's face when she kept reading my low blood pressure. I was a happy child, always singing, so depression was quickly ruled out.

Comment from: Squeek, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I was 16 years old when I started having symptoms of Addison's disease. I lost weight without trying. I would sometimes not have my periods. I couldn't walk from chair to chair without stopping from exhaustion.

Published: July 10

At the on-set of my Addison's Disease I felt like I was coming down with the flu. I had lost about 20 pounds without trying. Could not stand for very long periods of time - as I felt like I would pass out or faint. When I first went to the doctor he diagnosed me with depression. Within 3 days of the depression diagnosis I was in the hospital, I first had an Angiogram, and some various x-rays. After two days in the hospital I was diagnosed and in Addison's crisis. Spent a total of 5 days in the hospital, however have been great since that was 3 years ago at the age of 41.

Published: July 07

At the onset of my Addison's disease, I experienced confusion with an inability to use common sense. I had extreme tiredness, sleeping 15 to 20 hours each day, with muscle weakness, irrational mood swings, sores in my mouth and sensitive gums.

Comment from: Jundor1977, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I was 12 when I was first diagnosed with Addison's Disease, it's hard to remember anything at that age. Then after that at age 13 I developed type 1 Diabetes. My skin darkened, I lost a lot of weight. It began to get so hard walking up the stairs to my elementary school, I remember all the other children would be gone, and I would have to take a seat on the stairs just to rest for the next few, at the end I couldn't hold anything down and my pediatrician that my mom took me to just didn't know what was causing this. Finally, close to the end he figured it out and I was rushed to the state capital hospital and put in CCU. I remember when I got to the hospital I was given so many shots, and I.V.'s . I was almost dead because of this, they kept me in the hospital for more than 3 months. I still stay very tired life has and never will be the same. I just don't have the energy everyone else has, no matter how many replacement steroids I take.

Comment from: doone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My symptoms were the text book symptoms, but I was not diagnosed until 18-24 months later as it is a rare disease and not many people have it. I was only diagnosed in March and I am still trying to adapt to this. It is a life changing experience and with the support of my lovely consultant and family I will get stronger and better.

Comment from: beka89060, Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a breast cancer survivor and have been cancer free for a year. Stage IV, invasive, metastasized and I beat it. Aggressive Chemo and a lumpectomy. I have always had tenderness of the left breast nipple (cancer side); however, lately the right breast nipple has become tender. Prior to being diagnosed, I was on birth control pills for 26 years, no children and was starting menopause, (at age 41) and very healthy person. I am not pregnant and am told that my cycle will not return.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

At the start of Addison's I had no appetite at all, lost 3 stone, had no energy, and couldn't stand for long periods. After several visits to my doctor I was diagnosed with Addison's. The darkening of my skin and blood tests at the hospital proved this, that was12 years ago.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter