Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths
Which mattress is best for back pain? Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the causes of upper and lower back pain. Find...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Sciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Sciatica pain radiates from the lower back toward the feet. Sciatica may feel like a cramp in the leg, burning, tingling, pins...
Lower Back Pain: Symptoms, Stretches, Exercise for Pain Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Learn more about common triggers of lower back pain like posture, exercise, and spondylosis....
How Does Acupuncture Work? Benefits, Needles, Definition
What is acupuncture? How does acupuncture work? Does acupuncture hurt? Learn various acupuncture points, the definition of...
25 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps happen when prostaglandins force the uterus to contract. Dysmenorrhea, or period pain, may be relieved by...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches are a symptom of the flu, arthritis, autoimmune disease, infections like Lyme disease, and other conditions. Body pain...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Related Disease Conditions
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). Regular pelvic exams, Pap testing and screening can detect precancerous changes in the cervix. Cervical cancer can be prevented by a vaccine. The most common signs and symptoms are an increase in vaginal discharge, painful sex, and postmenopausal bleeding. The prognosis and survival rate depends upon the stage at which the cancer was diagnosed.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that lasts six months or longer, is not improved by bed rest, and may be worsened by physical or mental activity.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress reduction, exercise, and medication are the standard treatments for fibromyalgia.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis.
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee pain include redness, swelling, difficulty walking, and locking of the knee. To diagnose knee pain, a physician will perform a physical exam and also may order X-rays, arthrocentesis, blood tests, or a CT scan or MRI. Treatment of knee pain depends upon the cause of the pain.
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include swollen lymph nodes, fever, night sweats, coughing, weakness, chest pain, unexplained weight loss, and abdominal pain. Treatment depends on which type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma one has, the stage of the cancer, one's age, how fast the cancer is growing, and whether one has other health problems.
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on one side of the head, and sometimes nausea and vomiting. The exact cause of migraine headaches is not known. Triggers for migraine headaches include certain foods, stress, hormonal changes, strong stimuli (loud noises), and oversleeping. Treatment guidelines for migraines include medicine, pain management, diet changes, avoiding foods that trigger migraines, staying hydrated, getting adequate sleep, and exercising regularly. Prevention of migraine triggers include getting regular exercise, drinking water daily, reducing stress, and avoiding trigger foods.
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Signs and symptoms of prostatitis include painful or difficulty urinating; fever; chills; body aches; blood in the urine; pain in the rectum, groin, abdomen, or low back; and painful ejaculation or sexual dysfunction. Causes of prostatitis include STDs, bacteria from urinary tract infections, or E. coli. Treatment for prostatitis depends on if it is a bacterial infection or chronic inflammation of the prostate gland.
Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more noticeable at rest. This characteristic nighttime worsening can frequently lead to insomnia. Treatment of the symptoms of restless leg syndrome is generally with medication as well as treating any underlying condition causing restless leg syndrome.
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain. Though treatment for neck pain really depends upon the cause, treatment typically may involve heat/ice application, traction, physical therapy, cortisone injection, topical anesthetic creams, and muscle relaxants.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression that tends to occur as the days grow shorter in the fall and winter. Symptoms of seasonal affective disorder include tiredness, fatigue, depression, irritability, body aches, poor sleep, and overeating.
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Tension Headache (Symptoms, Relief, Causes, Treatment)
A tension headache s one of the most common types of headaches, and the exact cause is not known. Factors that may contribute to tension or stress headaches are lack of sleep, increased stress (referred to as a stress headache), skipping meals, dehydration, medical diseases or conditions, anxiety, or changes at home, work, or school. Treatment of tension headaches include prescription and OTC medications, stress management, and treating any underlying illness or condition.
Pain that originates in the face is referred to as trigeminal neuralgia. This pain may be caused by: an injury, an infection in the face, a nerve disorder, or it can occur for no known reason. Trigeminal neuralgia can be treated with antiseizure medications. Some antidepressant drugs also have significant pain relieving effects.
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been scientifically documented or identified as safe or effective for a specific condition. Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines that range from diet and exercise to mental conditioning to lifestyle changes.
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused by E. coli and other bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract infection), poor hygiene, sexual intercourse, pregnancy, catheter, cystoscope exam, surgery, kidney stones, or prostate enlargement. Symptoms of kidney infection include back pain, frequent urination, pain during urination, fever, and or pus or blood in the urine. Kidney infection can be cured with antibiotic treatment. Cranberry juice may prevent UTIs, but that hasn’t been proven in all research studies.
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph nodes in the upper part of the neck. These cancers account for 3% to 5% of cancers in the U.S. Tobacco and alcohol use are important risk factors. Treatment may involve surgery, radiation therapy, and/or chemotherapy.
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary squeezing of a muscle. A bladder spasm, or "detrusor contraction," occurs when the bladder muscle squeezes suddenly without warning, causing an urgent need to release urine. The spasm can force urine from the bladder, causing leakage. When this happens, the condition is called urge incontinence or overactive bladder.
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a painful complication of shingles. Symptoms include severe pain, itchy skin, and possible weakness or paralysis of the area. There is no treatment for postherpetic neuralgia that is effective for all patients.
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver cancer often arises due to liver damage, cirrhosis (scarring) caused by alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Liver cancer may not cause any symptoms. Liver cancer is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, and a liver biopsy. Treatment for liver cancer may include surgery, ablation, embolization, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy.
Piriformis syndrome may develop if the piriformis muscle spasms and compresses the sciatic nerve. This causes buttock pain that radiates down the back of the leg along the sciatic nerve. Symptoms include numbness, a pins-and-needles tingling sensation, and low back pain. Treatment of piriformis syndrome depends upon the syndrome's phase: acute, recovery, or maintenance.
Headache Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the general run of the mill headache. These 17 natural home remedies -- for example, exercise, meditation, hydration, yoga, caffeine, essential oils such as lavender and butterbur, herbs, and supplements like magnesium -- can soothe and relieve some headaches.
COPD vs. Emphysema
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other healthcare professionals use to describe a group of serious, progressive (worsens over time), chronic lung diseases that include emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and sometimes asthma. The number one cause of COPD or emphysema, is smoking, and smoking is the third leading cause of death in the US.
Migraines and Seizures (Symptoms, Auras, Medication)
Migraines are a type of headache and seizures are the main symptom of epilepsy. Migraine headaches and seizures are two different neurological problems that have similar signs, symptoms, and auras, for example, sensitivity to light (photophobia) and sound, irritability, nausea, and vomiting. Symptoms unique to migraine and migraine auras are water retention, problems sleeping, appetite changes, and talkativeness. Symptoms unique to seizure and seizures auras are depression, a feeling of heaviness, a feeling that a seizure is approaching, and depression. Many of the symptoms of migraine and seizures are the same, however, seizures do not cause migraines; however, people who have seizures are twice as likely to have migraines and vice-versa. People who have migraines are twice as likely to have seizures, and people with seizures are twice as likely to have migraines; however, one condition does not cause the other.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Trial Finds Acupuncture May Help Prevent Migraines
- Acupuncture May Ease a Common Side Effect of Cancer Treatment
- Many Cancer Patients Take Alternative Meds But Don't Tell Their Doctors
- Acupuncture Could Help Ease Menopausal Symptoms
- Acupressure Is Good Medicine for Breast Cancer Survivors
- New Nerve Stimulation Technique Might Relieve Back Pain
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Acupuncture: A New Look at an Ancient Remedy
- Hiccups for a Month? It Can Happen
- Cancer Survival Drops With Complementary Therapy: Study
- No Evidence Acupuncture Boosts Fertility Treatment
- Woman Dies From Bee Sting Acupuncture
- Acupuncture May Ease Pain Tied to Breast Cancer Care
- Many Parents Don't Tell Doctor About 'Complementary' Therapy Use in Kids
- Study Finds Options to Opioid Use After Knee Surgery
- JFK's Long, Silent Struggle With Back Pain
- Consider Acupuncture for Incontinence, Not Certain Infertility Cases
- Yoga Soothes Back Pain in Study
- Acupuncture May Be Effective Painkiller in the ER
- Bill Seeks to Provide Acupuncture to U.S. Veterans
- Yoga, Meditation May Ease Some Breast Cancer Symptoms
- Chiropractors Not Magicians When It Comes to Chronic Back Pain
- Drug No Better Than Placebo for Lower Back, Leg Pain
- Fewer U.S. Kids Overdosing on Opioids
- Try Drug-Free Options First for Low Back Pain, New Guidelines Say
- Exercise Rates Often Decline After Cancer Diagnosis
- For a Colicky Baby, You Might Give Acupuncture a Try
- For Migraine Sufferers, Is a Chiropractor's Touch All in the Mind?
- Certain Parents More Likely to Skip Kids' Flu Shot
- Can Acupuncture Ease Severe Constipation?
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Acupuncture May Slow Pre-Dementia Memory Loss: Study
- New Guidelines Issued for Cancer Patients' Post-Treatment Pain
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Electroacupuncture Helped Ease Carpal Tunnel in Study
- Many Breast Cancer Patients Try Alternative Medicine First: Study
- Acupuncture May Ease Hot Flashes for Breast Cancer Patients
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Finds
- Sham Acupuncture Equals Real Acupuncture for Hot Flashes: Study
- Acupuncture May Ease Neck Pain Over Long Term
- Acupuncture Might Help Ease High Blood Pressure
- Acupuncture Best for Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer Survivors: Study
- 25 Million U.S. Adults Struggle With Daily Pain
- Many Don't Tell Docs About Using Alternative Therapies for Pain
- Steroids No Better for Sciatica Pain Than Placebo, Study Finds
- Belief in Acupuncture Key to Effect on Back Pain, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture Less Effective for Skeptics
- Acupuncture, Exercise May Ease Pain for Breast Cancer Patients
- Almost 1 in 5 Americans Plagued by Constant Pain, Survey Suggests
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- Bee-Venom Acupuncture Shows Promise in Parkinson's
- Making Acupuncture Even Safer
- A Guide to Smoking-Cessation Options
- What Yoga Can and Can't Do for You
- Acupuncture No Better Than 'Sham' Version in Breast-Cancer Drug Study
- Ear Acupuncture May Hold Promise for Weight Loss
- Exercise, Alternative Therapies May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Hay Fever
- U.S. Vets With Gulf War Syndrome Need Individualized Treatment: Report
- Great American Smokeout Is Thursday
- Acupuncture Might Ease Fatigue Linked to Breast Cancer
- Common Antidepressants Too Risky During Pregnancy, Researchers Say
- Can Cranberries Fight Urinary Tract Infections?
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- More Proof That Healthy Habits Fight Disease
- Acupuncture May Be Worth a Shot for COPD
- Bedwetting Misunderstood but Often Treatable
- Alternative Therapies Aren't Used as Substitutes for Asthma Meds: Study
- Alternative Medicine May Help Ease Chronic Sinusitis
- Acupuncture May Boost Pregnancy Success Rates
- Acupuncture May Be Effective for Migraines
- Study: Music Can Ease Pain
- Acupuncture Might Ease Chemotherapy Pain
- Americans Are Flocking to Alternative Therapies
- Asthma Study Shows Placebo Can Help Symptoms
- 'Placebo Effect' May Be Common in Headache Treatment
- New Debate on Link Between Stress, Infertility
- Acupuncture May Help Lazy Eye
- Acupuncture Puts Nervous Dental Patients at Ease
- Talk Therapy May Treat Low Back Pain
- Acupuncture Eases Depression in Pregnancy