Patient Comments: Actinic Keratosis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been dealing with pancreatitis since 2010. I have had many surgeries due to adhesions, gall bladder removed and also appendix. The pain along with my adhesions are incredible and I do receive treatment for pain which has been going on the 10 plus years now. Not once have my blood tests came back stating anything is wrong. The only test that is out of whack is my triglycerides and they stay right at the 480 to 490 range. The doctor does not want to treat that because the medicine makes your cholesterol go up and I cannot tolerate those medicines at all. I have tried everything possible even half of the lowest dose possible but cannot take these. Some doctors I have seen do not believe I have pancreatitis, others say I might, and yet a couple of others say I do but there is nothing that can be done. I am not diabetic and one doctor has told me I may never become diabetic and before that happens I might have system failure of some sort. On the rare occasion I do go to the emergency room I get treated like a drug addict so those trips are few and far between. I am on two pain medications, Creon, and a couple arthritis medicines and they make it so at least I can get out of bed and stay mobile somewhat. I have no identifiable symptoms and when I had my ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) the doctor came in and told me it was the easiest one he has ever done, 'but one thing puzzled me,' he said, 'your pancreas is not making any enzymes,' and he put me on Creon and out the door he went. I live a life of pain and it is a miserable life and doctors do not want to take the extra step and others state continue what you are doing taking your pain pills and get you blood test every three months. It is not anything I would wish on anyone (well there might be a couple doctors) and wish something there could be done for people like me. Now this thing with opioids I am afraid is going to make it even worse for us! I could go on and on like most of us could but that is that short side of my painful miserable life I have had for 10 plus years now. I wish the best for everyone! And by the way I do not drink, have never done drugs and that is yet another thing doctors find puzzling. So my case is very puzzling and doctors refuse to believe I have pancreatitis because I do not have any blood work troubles and that it is just impossible for this to happen without your lipase and others to be out of whack! I wish the pain would stop!

Comment from: TreetmeNikely, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I was helping my husband put up our trampoline and accidently backed into the drill he had just put down after drilling a hole into some metal conduit. I know for a fact that he has used this drill for at least 100 different uses, so goodness knows what's really on that drill bit. My wound is hot to the touch and my calf where it punctured is red, swollen and painful. Whenever I stand up it hurts much more.

Comment from: Bcry, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I have used multiple products for actinic keratosis, mostly creams, in the past. None of those seemed to work. I'm glad I learned about SR Lotion from a colleague. It's been two weeks since I first used it. I have seen the result right away, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Who knows! This might be the one I am looking for.

Comment from: Spam21, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Three weeks ago I was prescribed Picato gel for actinic keratosis, after trying everything else; my doctor was reluctant to give it to me as it is expensive. Week one, the areas blistered and looked terrible, week 2 the areas dried and started to peel and week three, I have some scarring but it is hardly noticeable. I am moisturizing morning and evening and using factor 50 sunscreen daily.

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have been treated with Imiquimod and had over 100 AK (actinic keratosis) lesions. It was painful and bloody, but effective. I am treating my lip now, it is a drag. However, all my AK is highly visible and I want to avoid surgery. Imiquimod is effective for me so I tolerate the side effects. No more sun for me, all long sleeves and # 50 SPF.

Comment from: Restored Health, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

Has anyone worked on their liver, stopped eating wheat/gluten or used essential oils or herbs? I have someone that has actinic keratosis (AK). I am going to work on their liver and use essential oils and herbs. I will let you know what happens!

Comment from: MonkeysMommy2008, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 41 and have AK spots on both cheeks; two on upper lip and one very recently has appeared on my arm. I have been dealing with the ones on my face for years and I feel like "you name it, I have tried it". Nothing works, not even freezing. My dermatologist just called me in an Rx for Picato which was just approved by the FDA in 2012. Fingers crossed and I will try to remember to post a follow-up.

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was fighting a bad chest bug and remembered after a few weeks that I used to use grapefruit seed extract for all our winter ails, sore throat, ear aches, colds, etc. I have almost whooped the chest ailment but noticed to my wonderful surprise that the actinic keratosis on the back of my hands and other area of my arms, back and face are clearing up. I have tried many treatments over the years and they just keep getting worse, so imagine my surprise and relief when they started to clear up. I have been taking 10 drops every day and now I have increased to 15 a day. I hope this is the beginning of the end. I'll just wait and see.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: GuineaPete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had actinic keratosis on the backs of my hands and to a lesser extent on the tops of the forearms (areas that have had the most sun exposure) for over 11 years. Recently I went on a very low fat diet (for other reasons) but kept making sure I was getting enough essential fatty acids (omega 3 + correct ratio of omega 6). About 3 tablespoons of flax meal and a quarter cup of raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds every day with my big salad. I also juice spinach or dandelion or collard or kale 2-3 times a week and chug it down, and take a little spirulina twice a week. All these carotenoids and good fat (and control of total fat) have been making the keratoses disappear. Also have one non-keratosis brown spot that was beginning to worry me. It is visibly shrinking! Fun to watch this happening. It's hard to stop going under the light and staring at the progress a few times a day. You can almost watch as it happens. Now I am doing two more things to push it: applying no-stain Lugol's iodine solution some days, and other days or later the same day applying tiny bits of zeaxanthin and lutein from gel capsules. It stains my hands orange for a day or so but who cares! It's all obviously working. I'm so glad to finally be winning against these ugly little things.

Comment from: sandysandals, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 62 and have had actinic keratosis for at least 10 years. I have them on my forehead and cover them with my hair. However, I began juicing about six weeks ago, and I also started taking 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract every day. I started both about the same time. I noticed two days ago that all of the keratosis bumps are gone. Also, the sun damaged spots on my cheeks are gone. One little spot is fading. I am totally amazed and flabbergasted. I thought I would have the worst of them removed but now I don't have to. I have no idea if it is the juicing or the extract, or a coincidence, but something has caused them to disappear. I juice 1 green apple, 1/2 stalk broccoli, 2 stalks celery, 1 small beetroot, 1/2 cucumber, 2 carrots and a handful of spinach every day. I add 10 drops of grapefruit extract to it.

Comment from: block15, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma on my shoulder, 5 years ago. It was surgically removed and not returned. I have numerous actinic lesions on my face and have used 5-flurouracil cream and liquid nitrogen every 2 years. I have to have this checked every year. I am 60 and had a great deal of sun exposure in the past. I worked outside for 20 years. I have been fortunate so far.

Published: July 06

I have just found out a have an actinic keratosis, on my nose, the only way I found it, was that it felt sore where my glasses rested. Very tiny spot, with only a few crusts. The doctor has put me on Efudix cream for 12 weeks. It seems to be getting better, although the cream causes a lot of redness, and is sore under my specs.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I just had four keratosis "freezed" on my face, they were suppose to blister and go away, all spots are very red and itchy, I was told by my dr. this would go away very soon.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with Actinic Keratosis and the dermatologist immediately applied Liquid Nitrogen to the affected areas that I was concerned about. After reading on this site that it is wise to be checked annually to ensure there are no new spots, I find it funny that the doctor did not check herself.

Comment from: JNfromMS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My doctor has burned off several keratosis, but they are all over my arms and legs. I so resent my love affair with the sun. If I could do it all over I would have worn sunscreen all of the time.

Comment from: rabbie, Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was prescribed an ointment called Fatty Ointment it affected the area around the spot making my face very red, after weeks of using this cream there was no effect on the itching.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures