AIDS stands for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, a condition that develops over time as a result of infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). After the HIV virus infects a human, there may be a brief flu-like illness, but typical symptoms and signs do not develop for years. The virus that causes AIDS, HIV, usually spreads through sexual contact or sharing IV drug needles, but contact with infected blood can also infect someone.
Signs and symptoms of AIDS can include
- chronic diarrhea,
- dry cough,
- memory loss,
- depression and neurological disorders,
- breathing problems,
- rapid weight loss,
- recurring fever, and
- profuse night sweats.
Other associated symptoms and signs can include
- brown, pink or purplish blotches on or under the skin or inside the mouth, nose, or eyelids;
- swollen lymph nodes in the armpits, groin, or neck; and
- white spots or unusual blemishes on the tongue, in the mouth, or in the throat.
Cause of AIDS
Infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes AIDS over time.
Other acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (aids) symptoms
- Breathing Problems
- Brown Pink or Purplish Blotches on or Under the Skin or Inside the Mouth, Nose, or Eyelids
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Depression and Neurological Disorders
- Dry Cough
- Memory Loss
- Profuse Night Sweats
- Rapid Weight Loss
- Recurring Fever
- Swollen Lymph Nodes in the Armpits, Groin, or Neck
- White Spots or Unusual Blemishes on the Tongue, in the Mouth, or in the Throat
Main Article on Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Symptoms
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures.
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
HIV AIDS: Myths and Facts
What is HIV versus AIDS? What are the symptoms of HIV? Is there an HIV cure? Discover myths and facts about living with HIV/AIDS....
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Examples of Medications for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Symptoms
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter