AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci, tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis, seizures, weakness, meningitis, yeast infection of the esophagus, and Kaposi's sarcoma. Anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) is used in the treatment of AIDS. Read more: Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
HIV & AIDS Quiz: HIV Testing & Symptoms
Now, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the...
Picture of HIV/AIDS
Acronym for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, the cause of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). See a picture of HIV/AIDS...
Picture of Kaposi's Sarcoma Ecchymotic
Ecchymotic purple-brownish macule and a 1-cm nodule on the dorsum of the hand of a 65-year-old male of Ashkenazi-Jewish...
HIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
What is HIV AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus-acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)? Discover myths and facts about living with...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
A Timeline of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
Get a historical overview of the HIV/AIDS pandemic from human contraction to the present through this slideshow of pictures....
What Are HIV & AIDS? Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention
HIV, or human immunodeficiency virus, causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS. Learn about HIV positive, being HIV...
Related Disease Conditions
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the Candida fungus. Symptoms of thrush include pain or difficulty swallowing, a...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms, Signs, Causes,Treatment
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly, is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition. Symptoms and signs include a red, scaling rash on the scalp, face, ears, and...
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that is spread from person to person via spit, semen, vaginal secretions, urine, blood, sexual...
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the bacterium that causes tuberculosis (TB). Symptoms and signs of TB include bloody sputum, fever,...
Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
HIV and AIDS
Second Source article from WebMD...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Keratitis is inflammation of the cornea. Symptoms and signs include pain, tearing, blurred vision, eye redness, watery eyes, or...
Histoplasmosis (Cave Disease)
Histoplasmosis (cave disease) is a disease caused by a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. The symptoms are similar to those of...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Listeria is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Listeriosis symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, and fever. Pregnant...
Toxoplasmosis (toxo) is a parasitic infection that causes flu-like symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle aches and pains that...
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting....
Valley fever (coccidioidomycosis) is a disease caused by the inhalation of the Coccidioides immitis or C. posadasii fungus....
Recreational Water Illnesses (RWI)
Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs) are caused by germs spread by breathing in mists or aerosols, swimming, or having contact...
Hospice is a service that offers support, resources, and assistance to terminally ill patients and their families. In such late...
HIV vs. AIDS
Human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV infection. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a condition that results after...
Castleman Disease is a group of related conditions. It is a rare disease with an unknown prevalence. Signs and symptoms of...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone (SIADH)
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) is common in older individuals and happens when too much antidiuretic...
Local ResourcesFind a local Infectious Disease Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- HIV-AIDS FAQs
- Circumcise Or Not? - The Matter of AIDS
- HIV Transmission and Progression to AIDS Continues
- HIV / AIDS Conference Update 2005 - Index
- Does Circumcision Prevent HIV and AIDS?
- HIV Infection Facts, History, Causes, and Risk Factors
- HIV Treatment, Medications, Prognosis, and Prevention
- HIV Tests, Symptoms, Signs, and Stages of Infection
- What Is Norwegian Scabies?
- Baby "Cured" of HIV Infection
Medications & Supplements
- Anabolic Steroids (Oral Androgens)
- dronabinol (Marinol, THC)
- Protease Inhibitors (PI Drug Class)
- megestrol, Megace, Megace ES
- Combivir (lamivudine and zidovudine)
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- ritonavir, Norvir
- efavirenz, Sustiva
- raltegravir (Isentress)
- nevirapine, Viramune, Viramune XR
- didanosine, Videx, Videx EC
- Retrovir (zidovudine, ZDV, formerly called AZT)
- indinavir, Crixivan
- abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine, Trizivir
- Etravirine (Intelence)
- darunavir, TMC-114; Prezista
- maraviroc, Selzentry
Prevention & Wellness
- Depression Plus HIV Can Turn Deadly
- Monthly Shots Control HIV as Well as Daily Pills: Studies
- Second HIV Patient May Be Cured After Transplant
- Second Man HIV-Free After Stem Cell Transplant
- Has America's Fight Against HIV Stalled?
- New Drug of Last Resort Tackles Resistant HIV
- HIV Doubles Heart Disease Risk
- New Coalition to Fight HIV/AIDS Announced by Elton John
- AIDS Researcher Robert Redfield to Lead CDC
- New Studies Target Gene Therapy Against AIDS
- Scientists Zero in on Better Saliva-Based HIV Test
- U.S. Efforts to Help Fight Global HIV Are Paying Off
- Could Gene Therapy Someday Eliminate HIV?
- Risky Teen Behavior May Up Odds for HIV in Adulthood
- Trump Fires Obama-Era HIV/AIDS Council Members
- U.S.-Funded HIV Prevention Effort Reaps Rewards in Uganda
- HIV Diagnoses Occurring More Quickly, CDC Says
- Are HIV and AIDS Poised for a Comeback?
- Insurer Aetna's Envelopes Revealed Customers' HIV Status
- Cows May Offer Clues to an AIDS Vaccine
- Wider Access to Meds Cuts Global AIDS Deaths in Half
- 6 Experts Resign from President's HIV/AIDS Advisory Panel in Protest
- Trump Administration Funding Cuts to AIDS Programs Could Mean 1 Million Lives Lost
- Is the AIDS Epidemic Winding Down in the U.S.?
- 'Cancer Profile' Is Changing for Americans With HIV
- U.S. Sees Big Drop in Number of Babies Born With HIV
- Students Make Martin Shkreli's Drug for $2 a Pill
- Study Discounts Myth of 'Patient Zero' in U.S. AIDS Crisis
- Mixed Progress in Worldwide Fight Against HIV/AIDS
- HIV Infection Seems to Affect Nervous System
- High HIV Rates for Gay Men in Some Southern Cities
- Antibody Shot Protects Monkeys From HIV-Like Infection
- People With HIV May Age Faster, Study Suggests
- HIV Prevention Pill May Not Need to Be Taken Daily
- Charlie Sheen: I'm HIV-Positive
- As HIV Patients Live Longer, Certain Cancer Risks Rise: Study
- Almost Half of American Adults With HIV Don't Take Meds: Report
- More Evidence Daily Pill Can Prevent HIV Transmission
- Only 1 in 5 Gay Teen Boys Get HIV Test
- Test to Differentiate HIV Viruses Approved
- Genes May Be Key to a Better HIV Vaccine, Study Says
- Many U.S. AIDS Patients Still Die When 'Opportunistic' Infections Strike
- Global Trial Finds HIV Drugs Should Be Taken Right After Diagnosis
- Experimental AIDS Vaccine Targets Hidden Virus
- Half of Known Strains of HIV Originated in Gorillas
- Taking Pill Before, After Sex Cuts HIV Infection for Gay Men: Study
- Some HIV Strains Cause Early Damage to Immune System, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Have Your Child's Eyes Checked
- FDA to Lift Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Peers Best at Convincing High-Risk Individuals to Get HIV Test: Study
- U.S. Troops Arrive in Ebola-Ravaged Liberia
- AIDS Epidemic May Be Subsiding: Report
- New HIV Strain May Move to AIDS More Quickly: Study
- AIDS Virus in Cats Might Help Human Vaccine Effort, Study Hints
- Early Course of HIV Therapy May Give Infants a Break From Drugs
- HIV Patients Get a Mental Lift From Exercise, Study Finds
- New Drug Approved to Treat HIV-1
- Scientists Use HIV to 'Cure' 2 Rare Genetic Diseases
- Women With HIV May Suffer More From Hot Flashes
- No Trace of HIV After Stem-Cell Transplants, Researchers Say
- Medicine Might Help Shield Injection Drug Abusers From HIV
- HIV 'Cure' Looks 'Promising,' Danish Scientists Contend
- New Guidelines Suggest HIV Screening for All Adults
- HIV Drugs May Help Protect Young Patients' Hearts: Study
- Study May Explain How Circumcision Reduces HIV Risk
- 'Sharps' Injuries Pose Serious Hazard for Surgeons, O.R. Staff
- Could Self-Testing Help Overcome HIV/AIDS Epidemic?
- HIV May Raise Risk of Heart Attack
- Researchers Describe 1st 'Functional Cure' of HIV in Baby
- U.S. AIDS-Relief Plan a Success, Report Finds
- HIV-Like Virus Arose in Primates Millions of Years Ago, Scientists Say
- Study Pinpoints Optimal Treatment Window for HIV
- Fulyzaq Approved for Diarrhea in People With HIV/AIDS
- Kids With HIV at Risk of Heart Disease, Study Says
- Anti-HIV Drugs May Curb Transmission to Uninfected Partner: Study
- New HIV Infections Highest Among Urban Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Surprise HIV Diagnosis Becomes Life-Changing Moment
- Among Black Americans, HIV Takes a Greater Toll
- U.S. Draws Blueprint for an AIDS-Free Generation
- HIV Drug Combo May Help Prevent Malaria Reinfection
- HIV Hits 1,000 Young Americans Each Month
- AIDS Deaths, New HIV Infections Continue to Drop Worldwide
- U.S. Task Force Backs HIV Screening for All 15 to 65
- Black Women With Both HIV, Hep C Less Likely to Die From Liver Disease
- Multivitamins Won't Boost Standard HIV Care, Study Finds
- Vaginal Ring Delivers HIV Drug in Animal Study
- HIV Diagnoses Among U.S. Hispanics Vary By Region: CDC
- Despite Huge HIV Treatment Gains, Many Left Out
- Scientists Probe How Some HIV Patients Resist AIDS
- Declining Funding May Cause U.N. to Fall Short of Health Goals
- Missed Dose? Truvada Still Prevents HIV in Men
- More Americans Get Effective HIV Treatment, Study Says
- Treated Vaginal Ring Prevents HIV in Monkeys
- Breast-Milk Compound May Shield Babies From HIV
- High-Risk Heterosexuals Should Take HIV Prevention Pill, Too
- New Clues to How HIV Infects Body's Cells
- Only 1 in 4 Americans With HIV Has Virus Under Control: CDC
- Cancer Drug May Flush Out 'Hidden' HIV: Study
- Man Cured of AIDS Virus: First U.S. News Conference
- Black American Men Have High Rates of HIV Infection: Study
- HIV Diagnosis Calls for Immediate Treatment
- AIDS Cure Possible, Top Scientists Say
- Mom's HIV Drugs May Pass to Baby in Womb, Breast-Feeding
- Not All HIV Patients in U.S. Show Same Characteristics: Study
- Decisions About Condom Use Among Gay Couples Vary by Race
- Women With HIV May Not Have Higher Cervical Cancer Risk: Study
- Biology Leaves Gay Men Highly Vulnerable to HIV: Study
- Mouse With Human-Like Immune System Could Advance AIDS Research
- Infection With 2 HIV Strains Slows Disease Progression
- Ahead of AIDS Conference, New Reasons for Hope
- FDA Approves First Drug for HIV Prevention
- HIV Drug May Prevent Bone Marrow Transplant Complication
- Studies Show Value of AIDS Drugs as Prevention
- First Over-the-Counter HIV Test Approved
- Wednesday Is National HIV Testing Day
- Young Men Taking HIV Meds May Be at Risk for Bone Loss
- Human Breast Milk May Block HIV, Mouse Study Finds
- Study Digs Into Secrets of Keeping HIV in Check
- Taking Anti-HIV Meds Prior to Exposure May Help Prevent Infection
- U.S. Assistance to Africa Cut AIDS-Related Deaths: Study
- People With HIV at Higher Odds of Sudden Cardiac Death
- FDA Panel to Consider At-Home HIV Test
- FDA Seems to Back Pill to Help Prevent HIV
- HIV Drug Tenofovir Safe During Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Study: Gene Therapy for HIV Safe, But Effectiveness Still Unclear
- Health Highlights: May 1, 2012
- Children Usually Excluded From Clinical Drug Trials: Study
- Pets Help Women Cope With HIV/AIDS
- New Guidelines Issued for Combining HIV, Seizure Meds
- Headaches May Plague Many With HIV/AIDS
- Despite Advances, HIV/AIDS Still Takes Heavy Emotional Toll
- Most Americans With HIV Don't Have Infection Under Control
- Higher Cancer Risk in People With HIV
- 2011: Turning Point in World AIDS Pandemic?
- New Study May Aid Search for AIDS Vaccine
- HIV/AIDS Cure? FAQ
- Some Monkeys Naturally Resist AIDS, Research Shows
- AIDS Patients Cite Stigma, Depression
- Aggressive Drug Therapy May Help Slow Spread of AIDS
- Many False-Positive HIV Test Results for Those in AIDS Vaccine Trials
- White House Unveils Plan to Fight AIDS
- Discovery May Pave Way to AIDS Vaccine
- Acne Drug May Help in the Fight Against AIDS
- Scientists Spot Source of Hurdle to AIDS Vaccine
- AIDS May Date Back to Ancient Tiger
- A Good Year in the Fight Against AIDS
- Circumcision Can Reduce AIDS Risk, Study Shows
- AIDS Drug Slows Spread of Deadly Childhood Brain Cancer
- New Vaginal Gel Stops AIDS Virus
- Genetic Trait Boosts AIDS Risks in Blacks
- Drug Regimen Prevents AIDS Transmission Via Breast Milk
- Monkey Gene That Blocks AIDS Viruses Evolved More Than Once
- Fallout From Failed AIDS Vaccine Could Dampen Research
- More U.S. Deaths from MRSA Than AIDS
- Doctors See Return of Kaposi's Sarcoma in Handful of AIDS Patients
- Circumcision: New Weapon Against AIDS?
- Natural HIV Barrier Snares AIDS Virus
- Hopes for an AIDS Cure Remain Alive
- World AIDS Day: HIV Pandemic Surging
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter