Patient Comments: Acne (Pimples) - Treatments

At what age did you first start getting pimples? How did (do) you treat breakouts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Daniel W.A., Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

I have extensive osteoarthritis and had various joint surgeries including bilateral shoulder replacements. My painful left knee has a large red/blueish discoloration which I've discussed with my doctor for several years. It was dismissed as a form of varicose veins, never investigated. Recently I had very painful back of left knee, leg redness, and swelling. The doctor said it was possibly a muscle tear or Baker's cyst, but not a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) as I had queried. I was sent for ultrasound; there was an extensive DVT from ankle to groin! I am now on Xarelto. I am not impressed with the general physician's lack of investigation which may have detected problem years ago.

Comment from: Barb, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I was diagnosed with acromegaly in 2010. I had surgery, but they were not able to remove all the tumor so I have been on injections since then. In the last year the 20 mg no longer worked so I had to increase to 30 mg every 28 days. I live with lots of body pain daily. I do not know what the future holds. I have never talked to anybody else with this disease, I would like to know what to expect.

Comment from: Jim, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I had an abscess develop on my buttocks once and it festered off and on for about a year. The only treatment given it was to allow it to burst on its own, which it did after a year. I then made a paste of raw garlic and applied it for an hour. No more problem since.

Comment from: Annie l., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

I have been frustrated with pimples (because of the puberty) for years, since I was 14. During that time, I felt sad without any reason and I kept blaming myself. I told my doctor and we talked about birth control being an option to control this type of acne. I was put on the Alesse birth control pill for almost a year. The first couple months were really difficult (emotions wise) but I didn't experience any sort of acne flare up. Much to my surprise the birth control actually worked really well to control my acne for what seemed to be a good year. Then I started to notice my acne getting progressively worse. Instead of a bunch of tiny bumps I was starting to develop huge cystic pimples. I immediately decided to discontinue the birth control seeing that it was no longer working to control the acne. After that I heard about new skincare brand Solvaderm which has innovative skincare treatment, so I started using Zeroblem from Solvaderm brand and got surprising effect within 2-3 weeks. Zeroblem is a dermatologist-developed spot treatment designed to clear up breakouts quickly by intensively targeting and healing unsightly, sore blemishes.

Comment from: Ella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had started getting pimples at the age of 21 and I have tried everything to cure it. I am really tired of getting these pimples on my face. I don't know how to deal with these acne and acne scars! Recently I got to know that Solvaderm skin care brand has innovative skin care treatment and have scientifically tested products. Now, I am frustrated of trying home remedies! So, I am thinking of buying a few of the products from Solvaderm.

Comment from: Angel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I started getting pimples when I was 19 years old until 23 years old, I don't know if it was hormonal or it's just on our genes. I was so frustrated back then until the point that I didn't want to go to school because of these pimples. I also went to dermatologists but their products didn't have any effect on me.

Comment from: Beivieve52, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

I don't know about you but I would try Ninja Skincare before I try anything else. I was on antibiotics for years and had some success but the side effects were shocking. Then the second I got off of them, it was like I was a pre-pubescent boy or something. Crazy! My mom really urged me to call a gal that she had heard about at Ninja Skincare. I hesitated because I had never heard of Ninja before. But since nothing else worked I thought I might as well give it a shot. So I called and that lady explained in 'normal people' language what was going on with my skin and put me on a simple treatment plan. I remember she told me that acne takes a long time to form and therefore I had to be patient but it would go away. And it did!

Comment from: warpedw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had acne of one form or another on my face, back and/or the back of my upper arms since I was 14. I used Proactiv for some time in my 30s and 40s, successfully. Then, when put on antidepressants, my skin began to break out, mostly along my upper back and jawbone. I eventually stopped using Proactiv and have moderate to slight problems even today.

Comment from: vbol, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had acne when I was in 10th grade and I have been using several antibiotic and alcohol based drugs and some peroxide thing. Unfortunately it didn't work, after that I started using soaps and cleansers for oily skin which is oil free, but I'm having a hard time because my face is sometimes itchy and I can't help but touch my face and the pimples that last long. I wish I could stop touching my face.

Comment from: ola, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

In fact I'm tired of these pimples, I have been getting them since I was 15, but now I'm 23 and still have them. I've tried so many soaps, creams and medicines, they work when I start using them, but then I just discover that they will not work again. As of now I still have them.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was finally cleared up in middle age when prescribed Retin A and an erythromycin cream. For the occasional cystic pimple, I was given a clindamycin dabber. Those cystic pimples were the bane of my teenage years! Clindamycin is like a miracle drug! I treated a budding blemish several times a day and it would go away before blooming! Awesome! For back zits, I started using a back brush in the shower. My back cleared up and back pimples were rare thereafter. I still use the back brush at least once per week, even at age 63. Hope this helps you.

Comment from: dolce da sheep, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have this acne which leaves me with scars. I am sick and tired of this situation, it is really annoying me. I don't know what to do anymore, I used all this oil free bar soaps and they are not helping. I am left with no hope.

Comment from: l frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I believe the liquid topical solutions work better on pimples than the gels. I think maybe the gels trap heat and keeps the skin from cooling.

Comment from: l frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Acne bacteria grows faster in summer. Heat activates the growth of acne. Never apply heat to the skin. Cold temperatures retard the growth. Apply an ice pack to the skin for two or three minutes once a day. When bacteria is exposed to cold temperatures, it stops growing and reproduces into spores. A spore is a bacteria in hibernation. The acne that you see on your skin today was growing under the skin 3 or 4 weeks prior to your seeing it. Therefore you will see the results of the ice treatment in approximately three to four weeks. Try to avoid heat from ovens and electronics. Drinking large amounts of cola and soda causes the skin to sweat. The added moisture will aid in the growth of bacteria and acne. The body is like a loaf of bread, if the bread is warm and moist, it will mold and bacteria will grow on it. We put food in the fridge to keep it cool so mold and bacteria will not grow on the food. Limit the cola to 12 oz. and do not drink more than 2 or 3 colas a day.

Comment from: william, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 16 and have suffered from acne since I was 13, but to me it feels like a century since it all began. Being in a mixed (boys and girls) school, I am much happier when it's vacation, because that way the girls won't see my face with black spots and inflammations on the cheekbones, right under my eyes. School reopens tomorrow, but I would like to see a dermatologist once more before I start school.

Comment from: Stranger, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Try panoxyl it works. Try the 5% :) it works

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

For acne, try a topical application of just a little honey. I am surprised that it has not been mentioned here. Honey is antiseptic; it deprives the pimple of oxygen; and it brings it to a head overnight. It also is invisible to other people so it is not unsightly. Try it; just a bit on the infected site. It needn't be a thick application.

Comment from: poul, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

I found Clear Skin MAX is very beneficial.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had extreme acne from the age of 13 until around the time I turned 20. If I woke up with five fresh white heads in the morning it was a good day. I went to three different dermatologists and tried all the creams and washes. One doctor even froze some of my zits with some liquid I assume was nitrogen. One over the counter product that actually did help some was PROACTIVE. Yes, it is expensive but does work. The other product I used was prescribed to me when I was 19 and is the reason I am acne free today. Accutane is a controversial acne medication that can cause severe depression, anxiety, rage, and suicidal thoughts, but it is also the single most effective acne treatment out there. After six months on Accutane you are told to stop taking the drug and will never have more than the occasional pimple ever again. I am living proof at the age of 26 that it works, or at least has for the past 6 years. Hope that I helped someone out there who is suffering because I know firsthand how bad it is.

Comment from: viola, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

My face looks scary because it is filled with acne spots. I have tried all kinds of creams, but there is no improvement. I only stay indoors. I fear looking at people.

Published: March 23

I have suffered from acne since my early teens. I have found that Elemis Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial Wash has helped me. I am still not acne free, but I think it has made a difference.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter