Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This inflammation, depending on its location, can take the form of a superficial pustule (contains pus), a pimple, a deeper cyst, congested pores, whiteheads, or blackheads. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the acne. Read more: Acne (Pimples) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Rosacea Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Think acne and rosacea are the same? Think again. Take the Rosacea Quiz to learn all about this inflammatory skin condition....
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Acne (Pimples) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Acne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are...
Picture of Erythematous Deep Acne Scars
Acne scarring is a common sequel of severe inflammatory or cystic acne. It can present in a mild or cosmetically disfiguring...
Picture of Acne Vulgaris Nodulocystic
Inflammatory nodules, cysts, and pustules (left). See a picture of Acne Vulgaris Nodulocystic and learn more about the health...
Picture of Cystic Acne
Cystic acne is a type of abscess that is formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. See a picture of Cystic Acne and...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of Jessner Facial Peel
Solid white color immediately following a Jessner TCA peel. See a picture of Jessner Facial Peel and learn more about the health...
Picture of Acne
Exactly what causes acne? Acne develops when cells and natural oils begin to block up tiny hair follicles in the skin. See a...
Picture of Baby Acne
Pink pimples ("neonatal acne") are often caused by exposure in the womb to maternal hormones. See a picture of Baby Acne and...
Adult Acne (Pimples) Causes and Treatments
Acne (pimples) is a skin condition that blocks pores. Get answers on causes, solutions and treatments for this skin condition...
Skin Care to Prevent Wrinkles, Aging Skin, and Dry Skin With Pictures
See how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry...
Easy Skin Care Tips for Guys
Guys, want some great skin care tips? Looking good doesn’t have to take hours. Learn how to shave without razor bumps, solutions...
Acne 101: Types, Best Treatments, Medication, Cystic Acne
What is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's...
Acne: Best and Worst Foods for Acne
Can what you eat cause a breakout -- or clear up your skin? Find out more about how some foods can affect your acne....
Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin
Acne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Women’s Health: 13 Hormone Imbalance Symptoms and Signs
Hormone imbalance involves changes in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormone levels. Hormonal imbalance may cause symptoms...
Bad Gross-outs for Teen Boy's Locker Room in Pictures
Team spirit isn't the only thing that grows in locker rooms. From yellow toenails and itchy rashes to body odor and smelly gear,...
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn's Skin Healthy
Caring for your newborn baby's skin may seem complex, but it doesn't have to be. There are many skin conditions such as peeling,...
Dieting Tips to Care for Your Skin
Your diet can affect your skin in many ways. Certain foods that contain Vitamin A, antioxidants, and other nutrients could...
Beauty Problems Pictures: Cellulite, Stretch Marks, and More in Pictures
Learn the connection between your appearance and health. Discover what you can do about embarrassing beauty problems from facial...
How to Get Rid of Acne: Skin Care Tips
Want to know how to get rid of blackheads? Discover tips on clogged pores, sunscreen SPF and how to remove makeup for different...
Acne Care Pictures: Skin Care Dos and Don'ts
Explore quick acne cover-ups, dos and don'ts. See solutions on how to best handle pesky pimples and remedies to avoid....
DIY Beauty Fixes for Teen Girls' Hair and Skin in Pictures
Learn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good...
12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin
See 12 Ways to Wreck Your Skin with this slideshow. Learn how sun damage, smoking, overeating and other actions can harm the look...
IMAGESSee more pictures of acne, scars, treatment and other bacterial skin infections See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
Boils (Skin Abscesses)
A boil is a skin abscess, a collection of pus localized deep in the skin. There are several different types of boils. Among them...
Folliculitis is a skin condition that causes small red bumps to form around the hair follicles. Skin bacteria such as...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Cystic acne is distinguised by painful nodules on the chest, face, neck, and back. This formo of acne is known to scar. Treatment...
A keloid is a scar that doesn't know when to stop. When the cells keep on reproducing, the result is an overgrown (hypertrophic)...
Pimple vs. Cold Sore
Pimples are areas of skin inflammation with pus in the center. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters. Pimples are caused by...
Molluscum contagiosum is a skin disease that causes pink painless bumps on the skin. It typically resolves in six to 12 months....
Ingrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. Acne rosacea, Staphylococcal bacteria, allergies, sensitivities to makeup or contact...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Fragrances and preservatives in cosmetics may cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms include redness, itching, and...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms include painful, stiff, and swollen joints,...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
SAPHO syndrome is a chronic disorder that involves the skin, bone, and joints. SAPHO syndrome is an eponym for the combination of...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
When dried sebum and dead skin cells block pores, blackheads (open comedones) result. Blackheads often appear on the face in the...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin condition that causes painful red abscesses in the groin and armpits that may...
How Do You Get Rid of Boils?
Boils result from a localized skin infection. They start as a hard, tender lump that reddens. Eventually, the lump becomes filled...
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Skin FAQs
- Puberty In Girls FAQs
- Acne FAQs
- Beauty FAQs
- Rosacea FAQs
- Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne linked to birth defects, depression and suicide
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Skin: Are Hypoallergenic Cosmetics Really Better?
- What Are the Side Effects of Taking Antibiotics Long-Term?
- How to Tell If Your Red Skin Is Rosacea?
- Can Dermabrasion Cure Acne Scars?
- Is it Safe to Use Accutane for Acne?
- How to Get Rid of Acne
- Cyst Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide - topical, Benzaclin, Duac
- erythromycin ointment - topical, Akne-Mycin
- erythromycin base gel - topical, A/T/S, Emgel, Erygel
- adapalene - topical, Differin
- erythromycin solution, lotion - topical, A/T/S
- erythromycin base pads - topical, Erycette
- tretinoin - topical, Retin-A
- erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide - topical, Benzamycin
- tetracycline - oral, Sumycin
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- tretinoin (Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Atralin, Renova, Avita)
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Ethinyl Estradiol-Cyproterone-Oral
- Over-the-Counter Products
- azelaic acid cream - topical, Azelex
- metronidazole cream (Noritate, Metrocream)
- azelaic acid (Finacea, Azelex)
- lithium, Lithobid
- isotretinoin (Accutane, Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorica, Zenatane)
- clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide combination pack-topical, Z-Clinz
- tetracycline (Sumycin)
- minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin)
- benzoyl peroxide (Proactiv, Neutrogena, Clearasil)
- sulfacetamide/sulfur cleanser - topical, Avar, Plexion, Rosanil Cleanse
- tea tree oil (Melaleuca Oil)
- topical clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel)
- norethindrone/ethinyl estradiol/ferrous fumarate - oral, Estrostep Fe, Loestrin Fe
- clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel (Benzaclin, Acanya, Duac, Onexton)
- sulfacetamide/sulfur cream - topical, Avar, Plexion SCT
- cefadroxil, Duricef (Discontinued)
- folic acid/niacinamide (nicotinamide)/copper/zinc - oral, Nicomide
- hydrocortisone/benzoyl peroxide - topical, Vanoxide-HC
- sodium sulfacetamide suspension - topical (acne only), Klaron
- sulfacetamide/sulfur lotion - topical, Nicosyn, Novacet, Sulfacet-R
- salicylic acid/flex collodion combinations liquid - topical, Freezone, Gordofilm
- tazarotene (Tazorac)
- demeclocycline - oral, Declomycin
- Metronidazole (Flagyl) vs. azelaic acid (Finacea)
- adapalene, Differin
- erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide (gel or pak), Benzamycin
- sulfur/alcohol - topical, Liquimat
- sulfacetamide/sulfur gel - topical, Avar
- Minocin Capsules
- Retin-A Micro
- Cleocin T
- Differin Lotion .1
- Differin Gel .1
- Differin Gel .3
- Epiduo Forte
- Sodium Sulfacetamide and Sulfur Lotion
- Differin Cream
Prevention & Wellness
- When You Need to See a Dermatologist
- Health Tip: Treating Acne Scars
- Acne Drug Accutane May Not Depress Mood After All
- Health Tip: Common Triggers for Acne
- New Acne Treatment Might Spring From Old One
- Health Tip: Why You May Have Adult Acne
- Acne's Stigma Can Take a Big Mental Toll
- Don't Pop That Pimple, Expert Says
- Acne Advice for Returning Students
- A Vaccine to Prevent Acne? It May Be Possible One Day
- Health Tip: Things to Remember About Acne
- Expert Tips for Taming Oily Skin
- Health Tip: Recognize a Bad Reaction to Acne Medication
- Pain of Acne More Than Skin Deep
- How to Take Action Against Acne
- Health Tip: Four Common Types Of Acne
- Health Tip: Can't Clear Your Acne?
- The Couple That Lives Together Shares Skin Bacteria Together
- Skin's Bacterial 'Balance' May Help Trigger Acne
- Men: Here Are Ways to Healthier, Younger-Looking Skin
- How to Exfoliate Safely and Give Your Skin a Healthy Glow
- Why Acne Can Strike Women After the Teen Years
- Acne Yields Up Secret That Points to New Treatments
- Acne's Silver Lining: Slower Aging of the Skin?
- Are Tea Tree and Lavender Oils Safe for Kids?
- FDA: Anti-Aging, Skin-Lightening Products May Contain Mercury
- Health Tip: Don't Ignore Acne
- Acne Treatment Differin Gel Approved for OTC Use
- FDA OKs Non-Prescription Use of Acne Drug
- Looks-Conscious Teens Trying Risky Supplements
- Hair Removal for a Beach-Ready Body? Do It Safely
- Health Tip: Discuss Acne Products With a Dermatologist
- Your Healthy Skin Germs Stay Put, Despite Cleaning
- Are People With Rosacea at Higher Risk for Alzheimer's?
- Contraception Safety Program for Acne Drug Failing in Canada
- Misconceptions About Acne Still Common
- Safe Treatments Available for Expectant Moms' Skin Conditions
- Double Up on Acne Treatments, New Guidelines Say
- Girls Given Risky Meds Don't Get Contraceptive Advice
- Health Tip: Acne Has Lasting Effects
- Bodily Changes Don't Always Signal 'Precocious' Puberty in Kids
- Many Patients With Acne Take Antibiotics Too Long: Study
- Health Tip: Shave Properly
- Experimental Treatment Uses Nitric Oxide for Acne
- Could a Vitamin Play a Role in Acne Outbreaks?
- High-Tech Skin Maps Show Chemicals From Clothes, Beauty Products
- Athletes Need to Guard Against Skin Woes
- Exfoliate With Care, Dermatologist Urges
- Many Acne Patients Don't Take Their Meds, Survey Shows
- Better Contraceptive Knowledge Can Aid in Safe Use of Acne Drug: Study
- Acne Gel Linked to Rare Side Effect, Doctors Warn
- Health Tip: Minimize Acne
- Laser Used to Remove Tattoos May Help Reduce Acne Scars
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Acne Scars
- Some Acne Products Can Trigger Severe Allergic Reactions: FDA
- New Approaches to Acne Treatment
- Prom Isn't a Good Reason to Hit the Tanning Salon
- Health Tip: Caring for Acne-Prone Skin
- Free Drug Samples for Doctors Might Prove Costly for Patients
- Health Tip: Avoiding Acne Triggers
- Health Tip: Taming Acne
- Health Tip: Teens Need Enough Sleep
- Cinnamon May Help Ease Common Cause of Infertility, Study Says
- Health Tip: Shopping for Skin Care Products
- Earlier Acne Outbreaks May Be Caused by Earlier Puberty: Experts
- Pediatricians Endorse New Acne Treatment Guidelines
- With Acne, Bacteria Strain on Your Skin May Be Culprit
- Study Finds No Tie Between Acne Drug Accutane and Crohn's, Colitis
- Muscle-Building Teens May Go to Extremes, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Caring for Acne
- Virus Fights Acne
- Skin Doctor Offers Tips to Reduce Acne
- Health Tip: Factors That Can Worsen Acne
- Acne Medication May Raise Risk of Eye Infections
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Also Help Menstruation, Skin, Hair
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Thyme's Time as an Acne Remedy May Be Coming Soon
- Acne-ADHD Link?
- Health Tip: Wash Skin Properly
- Health Tip: Most Teens Don't Get Enough Sleep
- Overweight Teen Girls May Have Higher Acne Risk
- FDA Panels to Weigh Safety of Newer Forms of the 'Pill'
- Acne Patients Who Take Antibiotics May Get More Sore Throats
- Low-Carb Diets May Improve Acne
- Experimental Drug Bests Chemo in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Study
- Early Success for Gel That Treats Acne Scars
- Expert Q&A: The Best Skin Care Routine for People With Acne and Rosacea
- Health Tip: Factors That May Aggravate Acne in Women
- Acne, Psoriasis Meds Don't Raise Fracture Risk
- New Birth Control Pill Natazia Gets FDA Approval
- Acne Patients Happy With Online Follow-Up Care
- Acne Drug May Help in the Fight Against AIDS
- Can You Treat Acne With an iPhone App?
- Health Tip: Caring for Acne-Prone Skin
- Study Lets Teens Sound Off on Acne Therapies
- Light Plus Suction Promising for Acne
- Pregnant Women Not Using Acne Drug Properly: Study
- 6 Secrets to Gorgeous Skin
- Men's Locker Room Savvy Quiz
- The ABCs of a Healthy Skin Diet
- Plastic Surgery: Extreme Makeover: Coming to a Beach Near You
- Medical Myths Debunked
- Skin Care: Protecting Your Skin
- Skin Care Products: Know Your Ingredients
- Skin Care Products: Assess Your Skin
- Acne Skin Care
- Acne: Toothpaste as Zit Zapper?
- Adult Acne: Acne.....Again?
- Acne: Can the Pill Clear Up Bad Skin?
- Non-Hormonal Acne Treatments
- Women and Body Image
- Women's Locker Room Savvy Quiz
- Cosmetic Laser Surgery, Is It For You?