Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or acid reflux, has a number of different causes. Heartburn is the pain characteristically associated with acid reflux and results from irritation of the lining of the esophagus. Some cases of heartburn can produce sharp chest pains in the mid-chest that can be mistaken for the pain of angina. Heartburn is typically worse when an individual lies down after eating and occurs most commonly after mealtimes.
Other symptoms that can occur as a result of GERD include
- regurgitation (the presence of regurgitated stomach contents in the mouth), and
- acid-induced erosions of the teeth.
In some cases, acid reflux can cause atypical symptoms, including
Causes of acid reflux (GERD)
The symptoms of acid reflux are caused by the regurgitation of acidic sour liquid stomach contents back up into the esophagus. Factors that may contribute to GERD include slow emptying of the stomach, lower esophageal sphincter abnormalities, hiatal hernia, and abnormal esophageal contractions.
Other acid reflux (gerd) symptoms and signs
- Chest Pain
- Dysphagia (Difficulty Swallowing)
- Ear Pain
- Erosions on Tooth Surfaces
- Feeling of Fullness in the Stomach
- Sore Throat
- Sour Taste in the Mouth
- Upper Abdominal Pain
Main Article on Acid Reflux (GERD) Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Heartburn: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Examples of Medications for Acid Reflux (GERD) Symptoms and Signs
- calcium carbonate (Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums)
- Carafate (sucralfate) vs. Prilosec (omeprazole)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- Dexilant (dexlansoprazole)
- Digestive enzymes vs. omeprazole (Prilosec)
- famotidine (Pepcid AC)
- nizatidine (Axid, Axid AR)
- Prilosec (omeprazole) vs. Nexium (esomeprazole)
- Protonix IV (pantoprazole sodium)
- rabeprazole (Aciphex)
- ranitidine, Zantac
- Side Effects of Prilosec (omeprazole)
- Zantac 360 (famotidine)
Digestive Disorders Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter