Patient Comments: Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

How was your case of abdominal pain diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: rosk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few years ago I was given an antibiotic by a fill in doctor... It was called clindamycin, I believe. It was too strong for me and I took full dose until it was done, I think 10 days. At that time I asked the doctor for the Z-Pak but she said it wasn't strong enough. After that my stomach hurt anytime I ate, and swelled. I went to my doctor and the test results he told me was, my muscle didn't work in my stomach. He gave me metoclopramide for burning of stomach to take before meals. It does help but I still swell up pretty bad, and in pain when I eat.

Comment from: keytolife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had pain in my left side. X-rays, ultrasounds, and CT scans didn't reveal anything. Finally, I went to a gastroenterologist, who listened to me and didn't say it was a psychiatric issue. He did a colonoscopy, which came back normal. I was adamant about my pain, so he decided to look into my ileum, where he found cancer. He said this changed the way he does colonoscopies, especially if a patient has other symptoms like pain and fatigue. Since then he has found others who had cancer in ileum.

Comment from: informed patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain started right away after a colonoscopy 6 years ago, when a biopsy and polyp snare was taken. I had increasing abdominal pain with lower left lump sticking out but usually reducible. Many physicians either ignored pain symptoms, if the lump didn"t show up (It hides internally, but much less so now after all the years of pain), or offered exploratory surgery, or nothing. Visits to emergency room proved futile, by the time I got there, and a doctor finally came to see me, either intravenous pain killers or time had reduced symptoms. Yes, very frustrating. Even now after years of trying to find answers it feels more like an obstruction in my bowel, which presses on and affects my urinary tract. The pain is excruciating and difficult for me to tolerate to the point that I have to do something, but need it to be safe, the right choice; and most important, a good surgeon.

Comment from: HoodyCrow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Well I have been x-rayed, imaging (of various sorts), had a snake in both ends, poked, proded, blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy. Biopsy showed lower platelet production, blood tests: EBV, and low platelet count, palpation my spleen is huge and my liver is shrinking (which I thought was a good thing, but apparently not). Numerous Dr.s numerous opinions. No plan other than wait and retest and see (even though my spleen and platelets remain the same for the past year). They can't do biopsy on either my liver or my spleen. They have no idea as to the progression of whatever it is I have going on. Apparently gut issues are difficult to diagnose?

Comment from: BestDadEver, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

Force your doctor to order a sonogram. If they did this for my dad during one of the 4 appointments he had with the doctor, they would have found the gallstones. Instead, he was misdiagnosed with heartburn. He died of sepsis in August 2013 due to a gallstone blocking the pancreatic duct.

Comment from: denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I've had very sharp lower abdominal pain that sometimes feels like it's in the pelvis, for about 2 months. A GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said everything looked fine, I didn't need any further testing. He also said the pain was GYN. My GYN says it's not. I've also had a CT of the abdomen that showed some dilatation of the distal ileum.

Comment from: shamar, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My daughter has been experience constipation since she was a baby. The past 2 months she has experience stomach pain, fatigue and no appetite. I took her to the doctor they told me nothing was wrong and to try changing her diet; try no dairy and more fiber regularly. They treated me like I was an over worried mother. Frustrated.

Comment from: hgower, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

22 year old daughter, had pains above naval gassy, very bloated stomach, since may 2012, doctor gave buscopan and gavascon which helped with pain have been having stiches like pain since 2010 took a scan came out clear, her blood test hB 13 platelets 385 mch 26.9 pg,and mchc 31.2 Iron, vtamin B12 everything else normal including liver test her phosphate leves are 1.5 normal below 1.4, since 2011 and 2012, did a barium scan detected illdefined patchy liver calcification in June 2012, followed by MRI conclusion normal study, since then have had episodes of pains ,bloated, gassy, weight 60 kg, was 55 when had her braces, passes had a bad episode of bloating, since 25/6/13 tuesday wanted lemon in water she normally has it and it helps her to go to the toilet for stools, but I did not have lemon and put 3-4 slices of sliced lime and she bloated bad, looked like 7 months pregnant, gassy, went to toilet about 12 times on wednesday passing index finger size stools had to strain to get it out, but it was not hard, later in the evening passed a decent amount, Thursday went to the doctor, and pains were radiating to the back,burping quite a bit, difficulty passing wind, gave buscopan injection,and supposteries, flushed her stomach out, next day stomach still looked big but it helped a little not as much as the first time May 2012, Saturday still not 100 pct, no temps or fevers, burping, hunger pangs. sunday seemed to be a bit better, but stomach still looked quite bloated, had some pumpkin soup in the night couple of mouthfuls with bread and the stomach bloated really bad again, pains going to back vomited some white mucas looking stuff and then later the pupking I think, went to ER got pink lady and mylanta buscopan via IV, nexium injection, stomach left hand side was tender to touch and lower pubic area , slight pains on right hand side from belly button and around that area quite sore, felt like there was food sitting right upto her throat , said that it felt like there was a blockage. did gastrocopy on 4/7/12, mild gastritis, detected, can you have sever bloating for this, on 40 mg nexium also gave prune juice and she said she had bowel movement the size of a hand, have to redo her abdomen test to check on the ill defined patchy calcification that was detected in 2012, scan, I am really worried she always had a bit of a stomach on her since she was small, but the docotrs said nothing, when she was a baby she had to be put in the light when she was born and when they broke my water there was poo in it. she is young and I am worried sick they did another blood test in hospital, said had traces of blood in urine, microsopic I think she as had this fr a long time sacn and mri have detected nothing her dad to has the same issue and now he has a Mural thrombus anneurism in stomach, and is under a specialist, she used to drink when she went out now she has stopped as carobonated drinks too make her bloat. I am looking for answers, her blood test taken on 29/6/13 are HB 14.0, WCC 5.7 Platelets are 323 gone down, previously 385, RCC 5.34, MCV 82, MCH 26.2 it has dropped from 26.9, MCHC 32.1 gone into normal range from a low of 21.2 ,Neurophils 2.2 previously 2.3. Could her stomach distention be the cause of the patchy calcification or has the gastritis made it worse. I ask her how her tummy feels all the time, and she gets upset with me, she has mood swings quite bad, worse in the last few months, Looking for answers can mild gastritis cause such bloating, I am giving her prune juice since last week home made is it alright someone said to mix almond oil in warm water as she cant have milk is it ok, any information is appreciated . God Bless you all Heater

What’s Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Comment from: MIGUHA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I always get abdominal pain and discomfort from taking antibiotics pills.

What’s Causing Your Abdominal Pain?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter