Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis, endometriosis, food poisoning, GERD, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), ovarian cysts, abdominal adhesions, diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, gallbladder disease, liver disease, and cancers.
Signs and symptoms of the more serious causes include dehydration, bloody or black tarry stools, severe abdominal pain, pain with no urination or painful urination.
Treatment for abdominal pain depends upon the cause.Read more: Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Diverticulitis
Diverticula can be seen via barium x-ray (barium enema). See a picture of Diverticulitis and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Diverticulosis
Diverticulosis is a condition where a patient has diverticula in the colon. See a picture of Diverticulosis and learn more about...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Diverticulitis (diverticulosis) is a condition in which the diverticulum or diverticula rupture in the colon causing infection....
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Medication
Understand urinary tract infection (UTI) through pictures. Our experts describe urinary tract infection symptoms like pelvic...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Heartburn: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What causes kidney stones? Learn to recognize the symptoms and signs of kidney stone pain. Explore kidney stone treatment and how...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Ebola Virus: Outbreak, Symptoms, and Treatment
What is Ebola? Learn about the Ebola virus outbreak symptoms, treatment and transmission. How is the Ebola virus spread?...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Hiccups (Causes, Cures, Remedies, and Medicine)
Hiccups are a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. In general hiccups are just a temporary condition. Some of...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis,...
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
Appendicitis Symptoms, Signs, Pain, Tests, Surgery, Treatments
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis often causes sings and symptoms such as abdominal pain in the...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Kidney Stones (nephrolithiasis)
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Coxsackieviruses may be divided into two groups. Type A causes hand, foot, and mouth disease and conjunctivitis, while type B...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Laxatives types for treatment of constipation include over-the-counter (OTC) preparations, for example: Bulk-forming...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
12 Best Foods to Eat for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Food Poisoning (Symptoms, Remedies, Treatment, Cure)
Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache,...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Ovarian Cysts (Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment)
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be: Pain in the belly...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Symptoms, Signs, Causes,Treatment
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly, is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Testicular Pain (Men and Boys: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Dengue fever is contracted from the bite of a striped Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms and signs of dengue include headache,...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Pancreatitis (Acute, Chronic) Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic....
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Spider Bites (Common, Black Widow, and Brown Recluse)
Most spiders in the United States are harmless; however, black widow and brown recluse spider bites may need medical treatment....
Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually is caused from bacteria that have spread from the bladder from a UTI (urinary tract...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Bladder Infection (Cystitis)
Bladder infection is an infection of the bladder, usually caused by bacteria or, rarely, by Candida. Certain people, including...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Is C. diff (Clostridium difficile) Contagious?
C. diff, or Clostridium difficile, is a bacteria that infects the colon. C. diff bacteria can be found on furniture, bathroom...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Is the Stomach Flu Contagious?
The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) refers to variety infections that occur in the GI (gastrointestinal tract). The stomach flu is...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Urinary Tract Infections in Children
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are very common in children. Symptoms and signs include fever and abdominal pain. Associated...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Gallstones (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment)
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Hydronephrosis describes swelling of the kidney resulting from the inability of urine to drain from the kidney into the bladder....
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)
Abdominal adhesions (scar tissue) bands of scar tissue that form between abdominal organs and tissues. Symptoms of abdominal...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Leptospirosis is an infectious disease that causes symptoms such as fever, headache, and chills. Treatment for leptospirosis...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Giardiasis (Giardia lamblia) is a parasite responsible for a common form of infectious diarrhea. The parasite lives in two...
Typhoid fever is an illness caused by the Salmonella typhi bacteria. The illness is contracted by ingesting the bacteria in...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacterium. Symptoms of strep throat are: sore throat, white patches or...
Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) is a rare type of cancer that arises from cells that line the drainage system from the...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Tylenol Liver Damage
Tylenol liver damage (acetaminophen) can occur from accidentally ingesting too much acetaminophen, or intentionally. Signs and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Pancreatic cysts are collections of fluid within the pancreas. Some are benign, malignant, or pseudocysts. There are two major...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Anthrax is a deadly infectious disease that may be transmitted to humans by infected animals or by biological warfare. There are...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults
Abdominal migraine in adults and children is a variant of migraine headaches. Abdominal migraine in children generally occurs in...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Still's disease (systemic-onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) is a disorder characterized by inflammation with high fever...
Chagas Disease (American Trypanosomiasis or Kissing Bug Disease)
Chagas disease is an infection caused by the T. cruzi parasite. Symptoms of Chagas disease include rash, swollen lymph nodes,...
Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP or anaphylactoid purpura), a type of blood vessel inflammation, results in rash, arthritis, and...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)
Microscopic colitis (lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis) is a disease of inflammation of the colon. Microscopic colitis...
A liposarcoma is a cancerous tumor that develops in the soft deep tissue fat cells. Symptoms and signs include a growing lump...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children throughout the world. Almost all children have...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) is a fungal infection caused by Zygomycetes. Symptoms and signs include fever, headache, coughing,...
Scarlet Fever (Scarlatina)
Scarlet fever, a bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria, causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash with...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Symptoms, Repair, Surgery, Survival Rate)
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Plague (Black Death)
Plague is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis. Transmission to humans occurs via fleas that have bitten...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a disease transmitted by rodents. Symptoms include fever and muscle pain. HPS can be...
Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease or Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever)
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (HF) is an often-fatal disease that causes fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach...
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus. Eosinophilic esophagitis has many causes including acid reflux,...
Prostatitis vs. BPH (Enlarged Prostate) Differences and Similarities
Prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, enlarged prostate gland) are both conditions of the prostate gland. There...
Pheochromocytoma is a tumor of the adrenal gland. Pheochromocytomas are quite rare and the vast majority of them are entirely...
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Histoplasmosis (Cave Disease)
Histoplasmosis (cave disease) is a disease caused by a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. The symptoms are similar to those of...
A parasite names Ascaris lumbricoides causes ascariasis. Symptoms and signs include abdominal pain, abdominal swelling,...
The bacteria Brucella causes brucellosis, an infectious zoonotic disease in humans. Symptoms and signs include fatigue, fever,...
Encopresis is a type of elimination disorder in which bowel movements are passed into places other than the toilet. Children with...
Schistosomiasis (snail fever), a disease caused by parasites, causes a variety of symptoms and signs, such as cough, rash and...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Typhus is a disease caused by Rickettsia bacteria. Symptoms and signs include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and...
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis or PSC is a disease of the liver. The cause of PSC is not known. Symptoms may include itching,...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Stomach Flu vs. Food Poisoning
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are not the same infections. However, they do have a few similar...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Intussusception is the telescoping (prolapse) of a portion of the intestine within another immediately adjacent portion of...
Cocaine and Crack Abuse
Cocaine is an addictive stimulant that is smoked, snorted, and injected. Crack is cocaine that comes in a rock crystal that is...
Colic in Babies
Colic is crying or fussing that begins suddenly, lasting for a total of three hours a day and happening more than three days a...
Is Hepatitis A Contagious?
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A is one type of hepatitis. Hepatitis is transmitted through person to...
Hirschsprung Disease (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Hirschsprung disease is an inherited condition that is present at birth (congenital) in which the nerves of parts of the large...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Melanosis coli is a condition that is often associated with prolonged laxative use. Dark pigment forms in the wall of the large...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Yellow fever is an infectious disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. Side effects are rare with the yellow fever vaccine....
Hereditary Angioedema (HAE)
Hereditary angioedema or HAE is a genetic disease that causes swelling of the skin and tissues beneath it. Symptoms of HAE...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Marburg Virus Disease
Marburg virus disease is a zoonotic infection that produces symptoms such as chills, headaches, fever, and muscle aches. The...
Ciguatera poisoning is a type of food poisoning caused by the ciguatera toxin found in a variety of large reef fish found between...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Hepatic hemangiomas are referred to as tumors, however, they not malignant and do not become cancerous. Hemangiomas can occur in...
Is Crohn's Disease Contagious?
Crohn's disease, a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is characterized by symptoms and signs that...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
Q fever is a highly infectious disease that causes high fever, diarrhea, cough, and sweating. Infected animals may transmit Q...
Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (Islet Cell Tumors)
There are many types of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (NETs): gastrinoma, insulinoma, glucagonoma, VIPomas, and...
Takayasu disease (also referred to as Takayasu arteritis) is a chronic inflammation of the aorta and its branch arteries....
Gallbladder cancer is a rare form of cancer with symptoms that include jaundice, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting,...
Is Diverticulitis Contagious?
Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the diverticula or diverticulum. Diverticulitis causes are either infectious or...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Essential Mixed Cryoglobulinemia
Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia is a condition caused by abnormal blood proteins called cryoglobulins. Symptoms include joint...
Weber-Christian disease is a rare inflammatory disease that affects the body's fat tissues. It's also known as relapsing febrile...
Is the Ebola Virus Contagious?
Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a highly contagious disease that is transmitted through direct contact. Ebola's incubation period...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results)
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
- Kegel Exercises for Men
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Endoscopy (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD)
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography)
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Urea Breath Test Procedure
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Colon and Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Colostomy: A Patient's Perspective
- Liver Biopsy
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Stool Acidity Test
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Cholescintigraphy, HIDA Scan
- Virtual Colonoscopy
- Barium Enema
- Balloon Endoscopy
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Lactose Tolerance Test
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Ray Manzarek Dies of Bile Duct Cancer
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Abdominal Pain - Common in Teens
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerance
- Marburg Hemorrhagic Fever Symptoms and Discovery
- Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Early Warning Signs, and Risk Factors
- Gallstones' Bark Is Bigger Than Its Bite
- Gas: Gum for Gas?
- Appendicitis: Is It Appendicitis or Something Else?
- Is It Salmonella?
- FDA: Stop Using Hydroxycut
- Endometrial Cancer Symptoms
- Pancreatic Cancer, the Silent Disease
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- What Are the Early Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer?
- Can You Develop Lactose Intolerance as You Age?
- What Causes Severe Abdominal Pain in Kids?
- What Causes Upper Abdominal Discomfort?
- What Does Blood in the Stool Mean?
- What Parasites Can Live on Sushi?
- What Causes Abdominal Pain?
- Can Bloating Cause Stomach Pain?
- 10 Testicular Cancer Symptoms and Signs
- Scleroderma Symptoms and Signs
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms
- Listeriosis Symptoms, Signs, and Diagnosis
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Stool Color and Intestinal Bleeding
- Lead Poisoning Symptoms
- Lacerated Kidney Symptoms, Treatment, and Recovery Time
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Eating Tapeworms for Weight Loss
- Appendicitis Treatment with Antibiotics
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Bleeding Ulcer Symptoms and Causes
- Abdominal Pain - Timely Diagnosis
- What Are the Symptoms and Signs of Kidney Stones?
- Bladder Cancer Causes, Symptoms, and Signs
- Abdominal Adhesions
- Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
- dicyclomine - oral, Bentyl
- sulfasalazine - oral, Azulfidine
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- magnesium citrate (Citrate of Magnesia, Citroma)
- Carafate (sucralfate)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- sorbitol (Ora-Sweet SF, PCCA Sweet-SF, PCCA Syrup Vehicle, PCCA-Plus, Numoisyn)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
Prevention & Wellness
- July Is Peak Time for Illness From Poop in Pools: CDC
- Doctors Remove 132-Pound Tumor From Woman
- People Picking Up Infection From Pet Store Puppies' Poop: CDC
- Scientists Spot Genes Behind Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis
- High-Intensity Exercise May Be Bad for the Bowels
- Birth Control Pills Recalled Due to Danger of Unintended Pregnancy
- Study Confirms Link Between Diabetes Med and Rare But Dangerous Complication
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- New Meds Make Inroads Against Crohn's Disease
- Xermelo Approved for Tumor-Related Diarrhea
- Is Surgery Always Needed for Kids' Appendicitis?
- 8 People Infected in Rare U.S. Outbreak of Rat Virus
- Stress May Explain Digestive Issues in Kids With Autism
- Sushi Lovers, Beware: Tapeworm Now Found in U.S. Salmon
- Lots of Red Meat May Be Tied to Gut Disorder in Men
- Heartburn Drugs May Raise Risk of Stomach Infections: Study
- Vomiting Disorder on Rise in Weed-Friendly Colorado
- Gastro Issues May Be Downside to Weight-Loss Surgery
- Ovarian Cancer Drug Given Fast-Track Approval
- U.S. Death Toll From Infectious Diseases Unchanged: Study
- Drug Stelara May Ease Crohn's Disease
- Some Mexican Ceramics Can Serve Up Lead Poisoning
- Zika May Be Passed on Through Tears, Sweat: Report
- FDA Warns Ovarian Cancer Tests Not Reliable
- Smoking Linked to Higher Relapse Risk After Surgery for Crohn's
- Is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Real?
- Flint's Lead-Contamination Crisis 'Entirely Preventable'
- Beware of Bleeding Risks With Antacids Containing Aspirin
- Ocaliva Approved for Rare Liver Disease
- Stool Transplant Soothes Tough-to-Treat Colitis in Study
- The 7 Deadliest Emergency General Surgeries
- Stomach Troubles Not Linked to Autism, Study Finds
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Psych Therapies May Have Long-Term Benefits for Irritable Bowel Patients
- Antibiotics Often Enough for Kids' Appendicitis
- Minority Patients in ER Less Likely to Get Painkillers for Abdominal Pain
- Lonsurf Approved for Advanced Colon Cancer
- Promacta Approval Expanded to Kids With Rare Blood Disorder
- CT Scan Use in Kids Fell Over Past Decade
- Summer Danger: BBQ Grill Brush Wires Causing Big Health Woes
- Study Sees Improving Survival Odds for Ovarian Cancer
- 'Cruise Ship' Norovirus Bug Can Spread by Air, Study Finds
- ER Doctors Cautious When Prescribing Narcotic Painkillers: Study
- Fecal Transplant Treats Serious, Recurrent Intestinal Infection
- Generic Form of Nexium Approved
- Childhood Tummy Aches May Be Tied to Adult Anxiety, Depression
- 400 Now Sickened in Stomach Bug Outbreak
- Protecting Lungs During Abdominal Surgery May Decrease Complications
- Complications More Likely With Emergency Gallbladder Surgery: Study
- Ultrasound Best Detector of Dangerous Ectopic Pregnancies, Study Finds
- Patients Urged to Watch for Trouble After Colon Surgery
- Kids' Abdominal Injuries May Not Warrant CT Scan
- Hepatitis: The Hidden Hazard
- Gattex Approved for Short Bowel Syndrome
- Speed Bumps May Aid Appendicitis Diagnosis
- Health Tip: Signs That May Warn of Lactose Intolerance
- Crohn's Disease in Children May Start From Bacteria
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Crohn's Disease, Colitis
- Hospitals Should Test More Teen Girls for Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Marijuana, Real or Fake, Can Lead to Unusual Gastro Problem
- Is a New Crohn's Disease Treatment on the Horizon?
- Cranberries Little Help Against UTIs
- CT Scans of Kids in ER With Stomach Pain Skyrockets
- Many Children With Autism Have Other Health Problems, Study Says
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- Experimental MS Pill Continues to Show Promise
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Third Death in Yosemite Hantavirus Outbreak
- New Leukemia Drug Bosulif Approved for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- Tiny Batteries a Rising Risk for Children
- New IBS Drug Linzess Approved
- Zaltrap Approved for Advanced Colorectal Cancer
- Most on Gluten-Free Diet Don't Have Celiac Disease
- Treating Irritable Bowel Poses Challenges
- Nationwide Recall of Bagged Salads Expands
- Angioplasty May Be Risky for Those With Poor Leg Circulation
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Black Kids Less Apt to Get Meds for Stomach Pain in ER: Study
- Lower Risk for Bowel Obstruction With Less Invasive Surgery: Study
- Experimental Gel May Help Those With Advanced Parkinson's
- Drug May Prevent Pancreatitis After Digestive Procedure
- Health Highlights: April 9, 2012
- Gastro Woes Often Strike Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- BBQ Danger: Wires From Grill Cleaners Swallowed in Food
- Health Tip: Keep Crohn's Under Control
- Drug Reduces Complications in Surgical Abortions: Study
- Heart Attacks in Women: Different Symptoms, Different Outcomes
- Health Highlights: Feb. 9, 2012
- More People Need Training in Lifesaving Epinephrine Use, Advocates Say
- Rotavirus Vaccine Not Linked to Risk of Intestinal Disorder
- Gleevec Approval Widened to Include Rare Cancer
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- Climate Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Risk
- As Nations Develop, So May Bowel Disease
- Celiac Disease in Women Linked to Depression Risk
- Some 'Gluten-Free' Beers Really Aren't: Study
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Colorectal Cancer on the Rise in Adults Under 50
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Very Restricted Diet May Reduce Symptoms of IBS
- Anti-Reflux Drugs, Antibiotics May Raise C. diff Risk
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- Type 2 Diabetes Treatment Victoza Helps Type 1, Too
- Drug Combo May Help Treat Kids With ADHD
- Recalled Cucumbers in Your Fridge?
- Skippy Peanut Butter Recall: Salmonella Risk
- Do IVF Pregnancies Raise Death Risk for Mothers?
- 2 Weeks of Antibiotic Therapy Relieves IBS
- Recall of Defective Glucose Test Strips
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter