Patient Comments: Abdominal Migraines - Diagnosis

Describe the process that led to a diagnosis of abdominal migraines. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Micki65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I never had abdominal migraines as a child. I started having symptoms in my late twenties. The pain usually would awaken me, in the middle of the night. I was lucky if I even made it to the bathroom before passing out. After extensive medical testing, I now have the diagnosis of abdominal migraine. Unlike the classic diagnosis of migraine, I believe there is a test to confirm abdominal migraine. It is the gastric emptying test. With this test it shows how fast food is moving through your digestive system. In my case, food moved too fast, from my stomach to my small intestine. This is being caused by my nervous system being out of whack.

Comment from: Lane's mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

We went through a long, painful two years of my daughter having stomach pain, then she would refuse to eat and sometimes throw up. She would be pale and lethargic. She lost 10 lb. in two weeks. We have been to the emergency room (ER) twice, scans, scopes, many doctors including two specialists, with incorrect diagnosis. I kept bugging the doctors until I got a diagnosis that sounded like what was wrong with her. I seriously thought they made up 'abdominal migraines'! Thank goodness we finally got answers. We still get people who think we made up the diagnosis. I have suffered from migraines since 2006. We stay away from nitrates and MSG, gluten and fake sugar and she has not had another episode.

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been getting sick for two years now. I've been in the hospital three times this week. The longest I've been sick is two weeks. Every time it seems to be worse and last longer, and usually hits me when I wake up. They thought it was anxiety and I did too, it causes me anxiety. I always feel stressed out, I have been trying to change the way I see and do things. I am going to talk to my doctor soon and have a sleep study done. I'm still under the weather today, I have all the symptoms of abdominal migraines.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter