Patient Comments: Abdominal Migraines - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of abdominal migraines for you or your child? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tiredofit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

My migraines are just in the past month transitioning to abdominal migraines, at age 70. This is not fair. They are beginning at the same time that my 'ordinary migraines' generally do (before waking, at about 3 am to 5:30 am), but with upset stomach, nausea, photophobia, ataxia, and are relieved by sumatriptan. Again this is not fair.

Comment from: PetaJ, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 07

My son has the exact same symptoms of abdominal migraine! Midline pain, undigested vomit and smelly vomit and diarrhea. He also gets clammy and very pale. My son's episodes thankfully happen only 2 or 3 times per year and they last an hour. We have had all work ups and everything is clear so the doctor has come to the conclusion it is abdominal migraine. Both my husband and I suffer migraines. Ask your doctor about giving a magnesium supplement to your child. I have recently started taking it for migraines and have had reduced migraines so I will be starting my son on a child's magnesium supplement too.

Comment from: Kim M, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My daughter was diagnosed with cyclic vomiting at age 5. She grew out of it shortly after diagnosis but about 3-1/2 years ago (at age 8), she started having very different episodes of abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. She has been to Children's Hospital and they have yet to find a diagnosis. I stumbled upon an article talking about abdominal migraines and gastroparesis. When she vomits, it is completely undigested food that she ate many hours prior. The vomit has a foul odor, the same as her diarrhea. The diarrhea comes out like chocolate pudding. She complains of midline pain, sometimes severe but usually moderate. An episode usually lasts 4 to 8 hours but she is on day 4 of her current episode with 1 1/2 symptom free days in between. I am wondering if anyone else has the same symptoms which include the foul smelling vomit and diarrhea.

Comment from: Aunty, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 05

I had undiagnosed abdominal migraines for years as a child around age 5 to 9 until a pediatrician worked it out and put my on Periactin which was a godsend. My main symptoms were not eating. I was pale and weak. A range of doctors told my parents it was leukemia, etc. I can't recall tummy aches but did have other migraine symptoms such as sensitivity to light and noise and touch. I have them now as adult too. Seems my nephew has them too but they have not yet been diagnosed.

Comment from: huest, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

My 10 year old has abdominal migraines. She was diagnosed in January and looking back at her journal, she started having these at age 8. The episodes lasted 3 days and are now lasting 4 days. She takes medications for cramping and nausea, but nothing takes away her pain. I am looking into an anti-anxiety medication this week. Some of her episodes have been around big events, but not all, so it is hard to pinpoint. They always start around 9 pm at night. Cyproheptadine has helped as a preventative, but this month she had three and each lasted 4 days. I am so upset. She missed 42 days of 4th grade.

Comment from: spillmanak, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My wife has been having stomach issues for over 20 years. It normally starts in the morning with feelings of nausea followed by vomiting and extreme abdominal pain that lasts from a couple of days to a week, her latest for two weeks. Over the years diagnosis has been IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), Crohn's disease, celiac, gallbladder (removed, but issue persists), and most recently as gastroparesis caused from diabetes. After reading up on abdominal migraines this sounds like what she is suffering from and has been suffering from. Normally it takes a trip to the emergency room to get it under control, sometimes two trips. A regimen of anti-nausea medicines coupled with pain medications normally does the trick. I believe that the pain medications actually do the most good as I have head migraines and getting the pain under control causes the nausea and vomiting to subside. The doctors in this area don't seem to have a clue as to what is really going on.

Comment from: Melba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered from tummy troubles since high school. Test after test, no answers. Finally I had my gallbladder removed, no relief. It starts with belching and a foul rotten egg taste, followed by extreme abdominal pain with vomiting and diarrhea. It can last from one hour, to the longest of a few days. Our 12 year old was having the same issues and her gastrointestinal doctor said it was abdominal migraines. He called my gastroenterologist and finally I have a name for it. We both take Imitrex on the onset of symptoms, it usually helps with one dose. It doesn't prevent, but it does help the pain!

Comment from: LISA, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My son, 5 and daughter 8, both suffer from abdominal migraines. My daughter's migraines are usually brought on by stress or excitement, for example before a school event/excursion. She will moan, have a sore belly button, vomit, and then sleep. She will be pale and lethargic. With my son however we are still trying to figure out his trigger. His behavior is similar to my daughter's, however he seems clammier but if his temperature is not up, he also may not vomit. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Indie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My granddaughter has stomach migraines. She first gets pain in her stomach then it escalates. We thought she was having seizures at first but then the doctor told us she was actually passing out from the pain.

Comment from: csmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My daughter has suffered debilitating stomach aches for years. Her pediatrician thought it was constipation. We finally saw a pediatric gastroenterologist today. He was very thorough in his questioning of her and me. He immediately said this isn't constipation. It isn't IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). He said he thinks she's having abdominal migraines. Her dad has migraines which seems to be a key factor in diagnosing abdominal migraines. She's going to have endoscopy to rule out other things, but after reading about abdominal migraines it sounds very much like her symptoms.

Comment from: Desmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My daughter would feel very nauseous, rarely vomit, sometimes had intense abdominal pain, very lethargic, wouldn't eat for days, had sunken eyes, and just very sick looking. There was nothing I could pin it to, a food, an activity, or event. She missed 2-7 days of school a month. I was devastated! It took over 3 years and many doctors, tests, and medicines until we got the diagnosis of abdominal migraine. She was given an anxiety medicine and lorazepam every 6 hours, for when she has the episodes. This was too much, she was crying, and hallucinating (high). I now give her 1/2 a pill every 12 hours. It still doesn't go away right away but it helps. It's horrible to feel so helpless when your child is sick. Still looking for a cure.

Comment from: MN Mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

When my daughter tells us her eyes hurt, that"s the first clue. Then she experiences cyclic vomiting for 3 to 4 hours. Once the vomiting stops, she needs to just sleep for about 4 hours. She will often shiver when she is in the vomiting stage and will cry, and gets very lethargic. She"s learned to avoid things like the merry go round, which has triggered episodes, but there are times with no obvious trigger.

Comment from: Gisele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have suffered with abdominal migraines for years and just today asked my physician for help. I usually get cold, feel like I need sleep, but my body will not sleep and then the vomiting and dry heaves begin and can last hours. Today I was given Zofran to see if that helps. Sleep is what brings it to closure. The article was very helpful.

Comment from: GadgetGirl, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 31

My 16 year old daughter has had typical migraines since age 6. Two years ago, she developed auditory migraines, and this year, abdominal migraines. We've used Maxalt and then sumatriptan with no results. Next step is a referral to neurology, I think. The histamine link was interesting, maybe we'll see about histamine blockers in the interim.

Comment from: Victoria, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My child has had intense pain on and off for 10 days, residing in lower back kidney area and abdomen.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter