Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your abdominal aortic aneurysm? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: wjh876, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I am a 66 year old male and was a smoker. On 8/2/16 I was going to the bathroom and felt the sharpest pain I've ever felt in my lower back. I broke out in a cold sweat and my wife called 911. When the ambulance got here they thought I was passing a kidney stone. On the way to the hospital it felt like my stomach was filling up. I got to the emergency room (ER) and they did a scan and found out that my abdominal aortic aneurysm had ruptured. They gave me two shots of morphine and the last thing I remember was the doctor saying, 'we'll do what we can.' Fortunately there was a vascular surgeon at the ER. I had an open surgery and came close to death several times. I was in ICU for three weeks and in the first few days they had to go back in a few times to handle bleeding and to keep the wound clean. They didn't close me up till the third day. My kidneys shut down and I was on dialysis for 6 weeks. My kidneys fortunately came back! I was released after about two months. I am so lucky and grateful to be alive as the survival rate for a rupture is 1to 3 percent. The doctors said it was miraculous that I survived the operation, and the consequent risk of heart attack or stroke in the week that followed. I can't say enough for my surgeon and the staff of nurses and caregivers. I should have died, but here I am. Recovery has been long and arduous. I lost a lot of muscle mass. It's been a little over a year now and I still have some weaknesses, but am playing golf once a week. My HMO (hospital medical officer) now provides a onetime screening as part of their preventive medicine for free for those 65 and over. I would advise those of you who might have this perk to take advantage. I think it is covered by Medicare. And I would also advise screenings if this kind of thing runs in your family.

Comment from: Runnergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a bad mountain bike accident almost 2 years ago. I had a CT scan done to look for a fracture in my hip. There was no fracture but they found a 3.4 cm infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. I get ultrasounds every six months. Last week my ultrasound showed that the aneurysm had grown. I am scheduled for another CT scan in 2 weeks. I am a 51 years old female, very healthy and athletic. I am training for another marathon. I have done 6 ironman triathlons. I swim, dance, box, yoga, bike, and do Pilates. I am a fitness trainer and sports nutritionist. Get checked and best of luck!

Comment from: Demetri, 75 or over Male Published: March 08

Somewhere around June 3rd of 2010 I had a blood vessel in my brain burst. I thought I had heat stroke and went to bed with a severe headache. I stayed in bed for 3 days, my ex-wife came to check on me (we're still friends) and found me unconscious. I apparently asked her to take me to a doc-in-the-box, but she thought that it was more serious than that, so she took me to the hospital. They did an MRI and found the bleeding brain aneurysm, and I was immediately taken to surgery where the doctors clipped it off. Three days later I had a massive stroke, then 6 months later I had an epileptic seizure. I am lucky to be alive. I have lost 30 percent of the strength on my right side, but I am back in college in the paralegal field.

Comment from: Lucky 63, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

In January 2004 while going to the bathroom in a 7 watt night light I thought my urine in the bowl looked dark when I flushed. Next time I turned on the overhead and, it was very red. I called my doctor right away and he sent me to the hospital for a CT of my bladder. The results came quickly; a tumor in my bladder and an abdominal aortic aneurysm. A month later after sitting on pins and needles, surgery was performed by my vascular surgeon on Feb 6th, 2004 and the tumor in my bladder was taken care of on April 19th by my urologist. That was 11 years and 3 months ago. I volunteered for follow up studies that were yearly at 1st, then at 2 years and this year will be the 1st of a 3 year interval. Fate has once again stepped in. I was released today after 4 days of tests which started with a trip to the emergency room for chest pain. CT for blood clots disclosed my aortic aneurysm was growing from the repaired 3.8 cm. I also have a growth on my right kidney. Needless to say, tomorrow I am calling the necessary medical help.

Comment from: hj, Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My husband, 55 years old, discovered his abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) with thrombus by accident when he did his blood and urine test. The albumin was in high 600s so they did a scan to check his kidneys and that was when they discovered it about a year ago. Today the doctor said he will be booking him for an open surgery which he said is safer due to the thrombus, He had no symptoms, thanks to the scan it was discovered, if not we would not have known about it. His mum had an aneurysm too in her stomach, she too discovered it by accident. She was supposed to have an operation in 2012 June, but died in her sleep in 2011 December. No post mortem was done so not sure of the cause, she also had high blood pressure. She was 86. His uncle (dad's brother) just had his AAA on stomach open surgery, he was close to 80, and he is fine thank goodness. My husband has high blood pressure and smokes still. He was asked to quit so hope he does, just waiting for the doctor to contact us now. Hoping that everything will go off well. His protein is still high at 318 but he does not drink enough water, so that too could be a major contributor for the albumin, as well as the pressure. Hope you are all fine.

Comment from: Moose, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have been seeing a doctor for years for an abdominal aortic aneurysm. It measured 4.5. My last ultrasound showed no signs of an aneurysm. I wonder if it is possible for an aneurysm to heal itself.

View the Heart Disease Slideshow
Comment from: proudgrandaughter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 10

My granddad had an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) last Friday which ruptured at home and he was in absolute agony. Ambulance took him to hospital and gave him morphine. Nobody knew what was going on but then we found out he had an aneurysm and he had heavy internal bleeding. My granddad then had a 10 hour surgery and went straight into ICU while sedated. Four hours later, his stomach started to inflate. Doctors were worried that he had another blood leak. He was given 25% survival rate but thank goodness he survived. He is not still in ICU 6 days later, recovering. He is still heavily sedated but gradually making recovery. I honestly consider myself very lucky to still have my granddad. It's still a long road to recovery but we're all hanging on in there.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My mother who is 75 years old was diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm 2 and a half years ago. Surgeons decided to operate through the groin and repair it with a 3 part stents. Upon routine checkups they found that she had a leak so they operated again, putting cuff over the stent. Unfortunately this didn"t stop the leak, 3 weeks ago she underwent another operation to insert a balloon and sadly this has also not worked. We have to go back to see the surgeons end of March 2014 we are all worried as to what they can do for her now.

Comment from: worried wife, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Probably 13 years ago my husband had an ultrasound checking for kidney stones. He didn't have any but was told he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. We didn't ask what size. Through CT scans and ultrasounds, we've learned that in 13 months time it has grown from 6.4 cm to 7 cm. They say there are blood clots around the inside of the abdominal aortic aneurysm. He doesn't have pain. I wonder how long he can live with it that size. Surgery is out of the question. He is nearly 80 and has dementia.

Comment from: ben, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

A month ago my 78 year old Caucasian cousin was laying on the couch watching TV with his hand on his stomach. He felt his heart beating under his hand which he though was odd because it had never been there before. He went to the doctor's office the next day and 2 weeks later had surgery for this a-a-aneurism right near the branch to the kidney. He is recovering now.

Comment from: rosa johnson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In 2004 my sister had an abdominal aneurysm. She was in her 40s. While talking on the phone she suddenly felt intense pain, boring pain in her abdomen. She went to patient 1st clinic after delaying about 6 hours, they were closed. The next morning she went back and white cell count was high so they transferred her to emergency room. Finally she was diagnosed 24 hours after her abdominal aneurism had burst. A blood clot had lodged in her intestines and she lost most of her intestines due to sepsis, miraculously she is still alive today. She has never been healthy since but she is still alive. So if something feels wrong don't delay getting checked out.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a serious pancreas surgery done and was recovering at home. I had been out of the hospital for two weeks. For a couple days, I was not hungry and forced myself to eat for my recovery's sake. In the morning, I had eaten a waffle when all of a sudden I got very nauseous and started throwing up without being able to stop. My sons were going to take me into the hospital, but I knew somehow that that was not going to work, and they called 911. I started vomiting blood in the ambulance. By the time we got to the hospital, my blood pressure was really low and they were having me sign forms for blood transfusions. Within the hour, I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture. I lost 10 units of blood and coded. I am very blessed to be here telling my story, hoping to save someone else. Instead of surgery, they used these coils that they put into the artery to close it off, and it worked. It took seven coils. If you feel as if there is something not right, there is nothing wrong with getting a doctor to look at it. It's better to be safe than sorry. It's been seven weeks, and I am getting stronger every day.

Comment from: big dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been swelling just below my navel on my left side. I have had extensive lower back pain on both sides of my spine. I went in to have an MRI of my lower back and they told me I may have an aneurysm. I think a blood clot could have broken loose from a previous ankle sprain and has traveled up my leg and lodged in the aorta. I'm awaiting my CT scan results as I type. Hope I catch it before it ruptures.

Comment from: cookies, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My aneurysm was discovered in August of 2010 by accident after a CT scan for a different condition. They immediately referred me to a surgeon who scheduled another CT scan in November of 2010. The results showed the size to be 5.5 cm. After discussing with my surgeon, we scheduled another meeting in February of 2011, and he ordered another CT scan, which I had done yesterday. My next meeting with my surgeon will be in a week. He will have the latest results of my CT scan and from all the research I've done on the web. I'm certain surgery will be scheduled. My son-in-law is a physician, so I asked him to evaluate the surgeon I've been seeing. He gave him very good references. All the other research I've done has given me confidence in his ability to be "my surgeon.” I'm looking forward to getting this over with so I can continue my strength and conditioning exercises at the YMCA. I'm 69 years old and want to stay young as long as possible, but it is what it is.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My husband was only 48 when he was found to have a leaking AAA. We had a long wait to find out exactly what the severe pain was because of his age it was misdiagnosed as a kidney stone, diverticulitis amongst others. But thank heavens the aneurysm was discovered before it was fatal. His father had an AAA at 62 so I would say to others to keep nagging for a scan if there is excruciating abdominal pain or possibility of hereditary links. I would like to say cant fault NHS care for resulting treatment of AAA

Comment from: jesus, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been having lower back pain on and off for many years. I thought it was related to arthritis. I went for a physical and my doctor discovered it by palpation and auscultation. I went for an abdominal ultrasound and it was there (an aneurysm). I will have to get an ultra sound every year as a preventative measure.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was having severe pain in my right hip, but being a guy just assumed it would pass. The next morning I couldn't get out of bed due to unbelievable pain in the hip. My 9 year old daughter called my wife crying saying she didn't know what to do. My wife called an ambulance and I was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan for kidney stones and found a 4cm AAA. They placed a stint 2 days later and all is well so far. Thank goodness that where the aneurysm was growing, it was pressing on the nerve or else I would have never known about it. The twice yearly monitoring I have to go through for the rest of my life is a small price to pay for getting to see my daughter turn 10.

Comment from: amanda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

My neighbor just died from abdominal aortic aneurysm. He had a heart attack six months ago in May. He had two stents put in and was supposed to go to the doctor one week later. He didn't go. He had severe pain and bleeding while urinating. That was for 2 to 3 days. The pain and bleeding stopped. He thought he was fine. Two days later he collapsed in his back yard and the ambulance came. His wife told us he had four blood transfusions while at the local hospital. A helicopter came but he died before they could get him to the other hospital. This is something that could have been prevented had he gone to his doctor's appointments.

Comment from: seldomsomber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am a 65 year old female. My abdominal aortic aneurysm pain was masked by having ulcerative colitis. I was used to pain in my stomach and back. I developed high blood pressure, not unusual at my age. I just started to feel bad. I was taken to emergency care twice and was told it was because my blood pressure wasn't under control. Finally, a country doctor listened to my lower stomach, and said I had sounds that concerned him. He sent me for a CAT scan. I had a dissected (6cm) aortic aneurysm. Since my blood pressure was high and not seemly controllable, I was sent to a specialist that hospitalized me and placed a stint in through my groin. He said I was very lucky. My recovery was easy, my blood pressure, although not perfect, became controllable and two years later I am doing fine.

Comment from: Casper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was shopping when I felt a sudden heat and pain in my esophagus area, then felt like I was going to pass out. Next thing was my right leg started to go numb and I was in a cold sweat and pretty much collapsed. Luckily I was in a public place and got taken to hospital. The ambulance drivers were harassing me about whether I had taken a drug overdose, meanwhile I was screaming in agony as my whole leg went totally numb and the pain was worse than childbirth. I was threatened with being put in restraints if I didn't be quiet.

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm.But, we were shock about the result. We go more further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before its too late that can cause him paralyzed.

Comment from: titofda, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been experiencing severe back pain for about a month. There were two particular instances where the back pain was so bad and restricting, that I could not stand up or walk for a minute or so. I went in to see my doctor for this severe back pain. He diagnosed arthritis and suggested that he can order an X-ray if I wanted. I told him I wanted the X-ray hoping it would pick up a pinched nerve or a bulging disk. To my surprise the doctor's office called me and told me that the X-ray picked up an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I am going for an ultrasound tomorrow.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I went to the ER last week with sudden swelling in my scrotum. The doctor scheduled a CT scan and ultrasound test and discovered an AAA of 3.5 cm. He wasn't sure if the swelling (which went away in a matter of a few hours) was the cause of the aneurysm. Either way, I feel lucky that the condition was discovered and am going to my regular doctor tomorrow to discuss which type of treatment to have.

Comment from: J.M.RODRIGUES, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

On a routine medical check-up in Johannesburg, my doctor detected an abdominal aneurysm after doing a CT scan. When I saw the films, I thought it was the end, and I had a few sleepless nights. However, my cardiovascular surgeon operated on me three days later, inserted a stent and, although I was already 71 years old, and now I feel like new!

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male Published: November 23

My father-in-law suffered a stomach pain for almost 2 weeks from now. And we brought him to a doctor for consultation, with doctors advised he must go on ultrasound for further medical observation. We got his ultrasound last week Thursday. And it was seen in the ultrasound that he has a abdominal aortic aneurysm. But, we were shock about the result. We got further medical observation through a CT Scan on Abdomen. Still it was the same but, there is no sign of rupture. The doctors advised he must go on immediate operation and surgery to get the blood clot on the aorta, before it's too late that can cause him to become paralyzed.

Comment from: mocolp, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My dad at 74 years old died at home on July 9, 2011 from AAA rupture. He was dead within 4 minutes. My doctor stated this is hereditary and that all family members should get an ultrasound on their aortic in their stomach. It was very sad to watch my Dad die and there was nothing I or anyone else could have done to help him. He had already passed by the time EMT's arrived. As far I know, since I was in the house close by him, he never made a sound for pain; it just took his life. So please see your doctor if there is heart disease in your family.

Comment from: Female Published: May 26

In 2010 my father at 67 years of age passed away from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. He never knew the warning signs and was too stubborn to go to his doctor with his “stomach problem." Within 4 hours he was gone. So please- if you have any of the symptoms or just aren't feeling "right" go see your doctor or to the emergency room. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get it checked out as soon as possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Published: May 23

I just had 5 stints put in by a wonderful surgeon. I found out like most people do that I had a 6.0 aneurysum thru a MRI on the lower back. I am recovering slowly. It has been a very difficult time. I am only 61 years old. It is as all have said that it is a silent killer. If it can be caught early you stand a much better chance of survival.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

January 5th, 2010 I was lifeflighted for aortic dissection type b. I take 672 pills to lower my blood pressure but it is still in the hyper range. Type b is now abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. The aneurysm was 4.7. The doctors advised me that surgery will not save me and that rupture will occur in my case at 5.0. The results of my scan is on May 12th. 2011. Wish me luck. And keep me in your prayers.

Comment from: cookie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was experiencing lower back pain for a couple of years, and went to have an MRI to look at my back. To my surprise, it was discovered that I have at least a 5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, as all of it was not visible in the MRI. I was thinking the pain was caused because of a bad back. I'm 64, have never had heart problems, but have had high cholesterol, now on Crestor for that, and it's working well. I have been a smoker all of my life, and at this point, I still am, but going for laser treatment very soon. My point is, we do not take enough care of our body's, and need to pay more attention to what it is telling us. I am hoping for my sake everything turns out well.

Comment from: AAAfather, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My father is a Veteran and seeks medical help from the VA. He is 68 years old and went in for just some tests due to his age last month. The doctors discovered that he had an AAA. The aneurysm is too large for a stent. He is having surgery next week. My father has always received wonderful care through the VA. However, he's never had any major issues in the past. Our family is very afraid due to the risks of this surgery.

Comment from: Threalscreener, 75 or over Male Published: August 14

I've just accidentally found out that I have a abdominal aortic aneurysm of 4.9. My health has been great, with no signs of any heart condition. I'm 80 years old and in perfect health. So where did I get this bulge? When? Don't know, don't care, I'm getting rid of it with a stent. Good riddance I say!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter