Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture

Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: symptomresearcher, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: June 11

A ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm is one of the scariest things my siblings and I worry about. Our mother, her mother, her brother, her father, and at least one aunt have all died from this. My mother died almost instantly at home, her mother made it to the hospital but the doctors told them that there wasn't anything that they could do, her brother died just before being taken in for surgery, her father died instantly and so did her aunt. They were all relatively young when they died, with her brother being the youngest at 46.

Comment from: Amypz, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

Our dad is diagnosed with two aneurysms, one abdominal aortic, and one in his neck; the abdominal one is 4.5 cm. He is 89 years old, and stopped smoking about 30 years ago. His health was always great, then he had a quadruple bypass at 82 years of age. It has been seven years since we found out about the abdominal aortic aneurysm. He hasn't been feeling well, his doctor says there's no baseline for his condition, as most people with two aneurysms die before they get to his age. We know time is running out, he wheezes more, and is tired more; but he doesn't want us to take extreme measures, even if we're all present when it ruptures, let it go, he says; this is scary.

Comment from: Tenderhearted, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My dad died in 2011. We found him on Christmas day. He had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that was found early on. But due to his heart condition and because he was a heavy smoker and wouldn't quit, they refused to operate on him. They said he'd die on the operating table. He lived several years with the aneurysm present. However, we don't know if the aneurysm killed him or if it was a heart attack. The autopsy was undetermined. He had a lot of stomach problems over the years. Now I wonder if I have the same thing. I've been suffering with stomach issues for a couple years now and I lost seventy pounds in a four month period. I also have papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer. I have yeast issues, when I eat anything with gluten or too much sugar.

Comment from: kitkat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My brother died last year of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I did not know it is hereditary and 2 months ago I had one that ruptured. I am very lucky that I am alive today. The doctor put 2 stents in my groin. Doctor also said my children should be checked when they reach 55, also my other siblings need to be checked. My symptoms were extreme pain in lower back and dizziness.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My sister age 59, had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that ruptured. She went to the hospital because her legs and stomach hurt. She just had a feeling something was really wrong. Emergency room (ER) took x-ray, the technologist found the aneurysm, and ran to the doctor in ER. They called a hospital, and hospital had her life-line in. She arrived, they did surgery and she recovered. Doctor said a piece of plaque broke off and stopped the bleeding (she was bleeding out). Doctors said she was the only patient they have ever had that was that bad and survived. Things did not end well though. During all this they found she had stage 4 lung cancer. She died a year and a half later. Since her death, I found out by accident I now have an aneurysm. I went for back x-rays when mine was found. My siblings have been going to get tested. I have another sister with a 5.0 aneurysm, surgery went fine. I now have a brother with a 3.0. I go back in 2 weeks for another ultra-sound to see how much bigger mine has gotten. Aneurysms are very scary, but very treatable.

Comment from: Danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am 57 years old, and went to the hospital for an ache in left lower abdomen. After x-rays they found out I had diverticulitis, but an aneurysm showed up so they sent me for a CT scan. They told me I am the proud owner of a 7.5 cm aneurysm. Once the diverticulitis infection cleared up they operated on my abdominal aortic aneurism, they did an open surgery. Everything went well, and I made a full recovery. It has now been two months after surgery and I am back to work. My surgical team was excellent.

Comment from: Heddy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm and successful surgery, I have sexual problems from the incision.

Comment from: tkr survivor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

In January 2014 I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm burst and was in ICU for 4 days. Blood count went to 4.4 and brought back to 11.4. I was allowed to go home with caution. By end of January a massive aneurysm broke, and I died twice in life flight. I had experimental surgery called a coil, was in ICU 10 days. I feel like a new person, stomach cramps and pain gone and am living well; something to consider.

Comment from: Diane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My mother was working in the yard with me for about 40 minutes late in the morning. At 11:00 we decided to call it quits and go in the house and have lunch. My mom lives in the same house as I but has her open private suite. She was on her side of the house long enough to heat up some soup when my husband heard her yell out. Approximately 3-4 minutes had passed by now. I immediate went to check on her and it only took a second to realize something was terribly wrong. I yelled to my husband to call 911. She was writhing in pain, very pale, yelling out "it feels like I am being stabbed in my back"! I initially believed she was having a heart attack. After what seemed like a painfully long ambulance ride we arrived at the emergency department (the ride was 20 minutes long), and they diagnosed her as having an abdominal aortic aneurysm and needed immediate surgery. The vascular surgeon immediately came to the operation room and saved my 80 year old mother"s life for which we are eternally grateful. From the time my mother passed out until she was actually on the operating room table, almost 90 minutes had passed. Everyone was stunned that she survived as she had a 7 cm aneurysm with a 2 cm hole. My mother has smoked for 68 years, the last 10 being heavy smoker.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

In 2011, January, I had flu- like symptoms for a week and was left with a pain in my abdomen, which at first I put down to flu. After about 2 weeks I went to my general practitioner who gave me antibiotics for an infection. The pain got worse and in late January I went to hospital, where they did various tests but no diagnosis. Sent me home, I returned same day with increased pain. I had emergency open surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) early February. The aneurism was discovered by ultrasound scan. Recovery took until May. I was in much pain and 10 weeks on antibiotics to remove infection which had attacked the aorta. (I have never smoked or had alcohol and am not overweight). There is no history of AAA in my family. Infection was E Coli.

Comment from: Mazzy2, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My mam passed away on 16th December 2015 from an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). Thankfully for her it was all over in an hour. She was having regular scans every 3 months but was at risk to have AAA repaired, she was 83. Unfortunately she was a heavy smoker. I am going next Thursday for echocardiogram and test for AAA. I am 57 and don't smoke, so hopefully I will be ok. I will keep you posted when I get results, wish me luck.

Comment from: Moko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I was just diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm measuring 5.7x5.9x12.2. I still haven't heard from the specialist.

Comment from: pat, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My 83 year old husband had a few symtoms for 2 days. As his pain worsened, on the third day I called for an ambulance at 6:15 am and after running tests and attempted surgery he passed at 5:30 pm on the same day.

Comment from: Tommy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My 57 year old brother died of a ruptured abdominal aneurysm. He woke early in the morning with abdominal and groin pain. I didn't think it was an emergency because he was walking and talking just fine. I though he had pulled a muscle. I told him to call his doctor to find out what he should do. He called his doctor who advised him to go right to the emergency room. Just as he was about to leave for the hospital, he collapsed and turned white as a sheet. We called the paramedics who could tell his condition was grave because they could not get a blood pressure. He was alive when they got him to the hospital and right into surgery but he went into cardiac arrest during the surgery. They could not revive him. He had a doctor appointment the day before this happened but he cancelled it. He had all the risk factors such as heavy smoker for over 40 years as well as high blood pressure and cholesterol. I hope they put routine screening for this condition in place.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter