Patient Comments: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience

Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Laura Dawn, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My lifelong best friend went into cardiac arrest in surgery that was intended to insert a stent. When they touched the abdominal aortic aneurysm it ruptured and although it was repaired, her heart couldn't take it and she passed away. Her hardening of the aorta was due to radiation as a child for cancer. It had stunted the growth of the aorta but she lived another fifty years.

Comment from: Daughter of AAA , 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My father was diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) in 2014. It was found when he had a CT scan because he was having an issue with walking. He was 79. The surgery was successful and he recovered. Four years later, he started having pain in his back, and I came home one day to find him lying on his back on the living room floor because he was in so much pain. He got up to go to bed and he fell in the bathroom. We called 911 because we couldn't get him up, and it turned out he had another AAA that had burst. Apparently, the aorta had been leaking blood - they're not sure how long, but it could have been up to 2 years. They're not sure if the fall was caused by it bursting or if the fall caused it to burst, but he was taken into surgery that night. Five days later, he is still in the ICU and having good/bad days. It's very scary. Hopefully, everything will turn out ok.

Comment from: Lydia C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I am a survivor of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I had three areas that had been dissected and of course the aneurysm formed. Doctors in my area didn't know how to help me. They said I was too young and a woman, which they say was not usual for this condition. I went to a specialist and he said I needed surgery to place stents in the aorta immediately. Three days later I had to have a lumbar drain to help prevent paralysis (which I think was the hardest part in recovering). They placed two stents with the hope this would help other areas heal. It didn't, so 1 year later I had to have another stent placed close to my kidney. So now 2 years after my AAA appeared I have one aneurysm that was too tricky to place the stent so again we are hoping for it to heal. Keeping my blood pressure low and follow ups with my doctor is a must. Kidney function is great and I am walking so much better after my second surgery. Going to my specialist I believed helped save my life.

Comment from: Ron., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

Last May 2015 I woke up with a very bad lower back pain, we called 999 and I was rushed to the hospital. I had no idea what was wrong with me, just that I hurt, there were no previous symptoms. I was operated on at once (6 hours) and spent 3 days in intensive care, and for the first week I had no idea what was happening. I was then told that I had had an abdominal aortic aneurysm and it was 7.5 cm and that it had been repaired with a nasogastric tube, I think that is a stent. I left the hospital after 20 days. I had to learn to walk again and I had lost 1.5 stone in weight (good) and now 9 months later I feel great with no symptoms at all, just a 15 inch scar down my chest and some pills that my doctor says that I must take. Not bad for an 81 year old. I have been told that I am very lucky and I think that I am.

Comment from: CAM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Well, I am still alive after a 6.3 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm. However my kidney and my legs didn't fare so well. Soon I will be on dialysis and will have to wait for my legs to be repaired. But I had the best doctor in the world. My father had one as well 17 years ago and still he is going strong. Ask all the questions you can before you go under the knife. Good luck.

Comment from: Deblk, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 06

My husband is going to have an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. The aneurism is 5.9 cm and it has been stable for 5 years. It is from an aorta dissection due to high blood pressure is. Hope this type of surgery is successful, my husband is 68.

Comment from: john, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 16

When I had surgery for bladder cancer they found I had a 3.2 abdominal aortic aneurysm. That was over three years ago and in checking the cancer they also checked the aneurysm. A month ago it grew to 5.1 and a surgery was done last week. I am doing fine but the important thing is that I am 90 years old, so do not give up.

Comment from: elf, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: November 07

Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a very scary disease. My father died at 51 from an aortic aneurysm. He was being treated for a panic attack, but knew he was dying and told my mother to call his kids to say good bye. Fast Forward 27 years, my oldest brother had one this week at age 55 and survived. My second oldest brother died two years ago from one. My third oldest brother survived one a year ago at age 50. Not done yet, my baby brother, at age 36 had one a year and a half ago and survived. My doctor says not to worry. It seems to be more the men in my family. I live in fear of this happening. It has already taken two and almost taken two more of my immediate family. I have to get my doctor to help me be more proactive in watching out for this before it is an emergency.

Comment from: colie84, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My father went to work 09/12/2014 like any other day. He started having severe abdominal pains and felt like he couldn't breathe. His coworkers called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. The emergency room staff did an ultrasound and found a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) and sent him to CT right away to confirm. He was rushed to surgery where he stayed for over 6 hours. His heart stopped in surgery. They put him on bypass and opened his chest to bring his heart back. It was too late. The ruptured AAA was over 6 cm and had caused too much damage. They turned off all the machines after talking to my family and he passed away at age 61. He never even knew he had an AAA. He wasn't exactly a fan of going to the doctor. Very sad and unexpected for my whole family.

Comment from: smiles1010, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

Yes, I had surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm done in 2013, still recovering and have a pain in my lower back on my spine, pelvic pain, and still gets shortness of breath. I don't know what I can do and can't do. I am still struggling but working only part time because it's hard to sit or stand for a long period of time. Having this surgery did save my life and I am continuing to strive to move forward.

Comment from: IMJAZZED, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

They found my Aorta Aneurysm by accident. They watched it grow for three years and then put a stent in through my groin area. The operation lasted around 2 1/2 hrs. I spent 4 days in the hospital and 2 weeks recovering at home. It's been a month and a half and I feel great. I'm a 66 year old male.

Comment from: audrey, 65-74 (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My mother was operated on, as she had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. She died two days later. She was 70 years old. Now I have been told that my twin sister, who is 65, has had an ultrasound and she has an aneurysm on her abdominal aorta.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. I want to help others as to the symptoms that happened to me. I was so lucky. So if you hit a wall with a hammer hard you will feel in the stomach, and if you kick a ball you have sharp pain in the stomach.

Comment from: Shirley Johnson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had stents but it leaked, so I had surgery in November 3th,2012. I am doing good, no pain and I take pills for blood pressure. I smoke the electronic cigs. now. I am having some problems with my intestines. The doctor could not put them back flat, so I look like I am three months along. But I am very glad to be alive, and I hope to live more years.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter