Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension): Symptoms, Signs, Causes
What is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Picture of Aorta
The aorta is the largest artery in the body. See a picture of the Aorta and learn more about the health topic....
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less common...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Folliculitis is a skin condition that causes small red bumps to form around the hair follicles. Skin bacteria such as...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are genetic disorders that include symptoms such as loose joints, tissue weakness, easy bruising, and...
Heart Murmur in Newborns, Children, and Adults
A heart murmur is a heart problem that can occur, for example, during pregnancy or exercise, or it can be a symptom of serious...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Benefits, Uses, Foods)
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that help decrease one's cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as reduce the risk of...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Loeys-Dietz syndrome is an inherited genetic syndrome characterized by aortic aneurysms in children. Children with Loeys-Dietz...
Relapsing polychondritis is an uncommon, chronic disorder of the cartilage that is characterized by recurrent episodes of...
Takayasu disease (also referred to as Takayasu arteritis) is a chronic inflammation of the aorta and its branch arteries....
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Monitoring
- Aortic Aneurysm - Cause Of Death For George C. Scott
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Aneurysms - Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Should You Get Surgery for and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Certain Antibiotics Tied to Deadly Heart Vessel Tears: FDA
- Study Urges Genetic Testing of Relatives of Aortic Disease Patients
- Many NFL Players Found to Have Enlarged Aortas
- Women Fare Poorly With Aortic Aneurysm: Study
- Abdominal Aneurysm Risk Drops When Smokers Quit
- When Complications Arise, Some Hospitals Get Paid a Lot More
- Surgery at High-Quality Hospitals a Money-Saver for Medicare
- Psoriasis May Raise Risk for Aneurysms in Abdomen: Study
- Asthma May Raise Risk for Abdominal Aneurysm
- Revamp Abdominal Aneurysm Screening, Save More Men's Lives: Study
- Less-Invasive Repair of Aortic Aneurysm Better in Short Term: Study
- Preventing Emergency Surgeries Could Save $1 Billion
- Screen Older Men Who've Ever Smoked for Aneurysms: Experts
- Heart Risks Depend on Which Blood Pressure Number Is High: Study
- Screen Older, Male Smokers for Type of Aneurysm, Experts Say
- Surgical Readmission Rates Reflect Initial Care, Study Suggests
- ER Visits Common After Seniors' Surgery, Study Finds
- Fruit-Rich Diet Might Lower Aneurysm Risk
- Scans Uncover Dangerous Hardening of Abdominal Aorta
- Survival Equal in 2 Types of Abdominal Aneurysm Repair: Study
- Many in U.S. Get Unneeded Heart Screening Tests