Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis

Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Raw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 28

Years ago I had several surgeries for gall bladder removal and bowel blockage. Through the years following the surgeries I suffered from periods when I would have bowel blockages that lasted various lengths of time before clearing. These events increased in the frequency and severity and caused a number of hospitalizations finally resulting in an operation that was done to remove more bowel. However after the surgery the surgeon told me that he did not remove any bowel, and that instead he had found part of my intestine trapped below my rib cage and he had repositioned it. Although the flexibility of the intestine was reduced he thought it would be able to function. I asked him how the intestine could have gotten there. He opined that it was likely placed there following my last surgery and had never relocated. Through the years it became less flexible and thus would at times restrict and block my bowels presenting me with discomfort and pain. Since the latest operation I have been fine, now three years. I am wondering if there are other incidents that doctors are aware of similar incidents such as mine.

Comment from: givemeananswer, Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffered from stabbing pain in the pelvis, back pain radiating to the hip more pronounced on the right side. And instead of just having incredible pain at the time of menstruation that was once tolerable with naproxen, it became unbearable more so at the time of ovulation. It became debilitating I could no longer go into work. I underwent laparoscopy to determine pelvic pain and to remove an ovarian cyst, and to have voluntary sterilization (tubes tied), when the adhesions were found.

Comment from: Mark Garb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I thought I had severe food poisoning. Previous to this one odd day of intestinal blockage, I was a very fit, healthy yoga practitioner. I ate late the night before and slept on a full stomach, followed by work requiring squatting, the following morning. A big milkshake at lunch sealed my fate. It induced vomiting for 5 foolish hours, while no gas or bowel movement came. Finally I drove myself to the emergency at 2 am in horrible pain. An MRI confirmed my blockage right at the location of a 1972 appendix surgery. I passed on my own, the blockage, with some IV fluid assist and morphine, but submitted to surgery the following day. Watch your diet while recovering. I was foolish and had many painful days the following 2 weeks.

Comment from: Pinnywinch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had five bowel resections for Crohn's disease problems. Last year I had my gall bladder removed by open surgery and they had a look at my bowel at the same time. Apparently all my bowel is stuck together (adhesions) and my gall bladder was the only thing that was free (making it easier to remove than was thought).

Comment from: nmsteph28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Two emergency room visits, a CT scan, colonoscopy, 4 ultrasounds, endoscopy, countless visits to gastroenterologists and gynecologists, until finally my gynecologist did surgery for a "cyst" on my left ovary. Wait, I don't have a left ovary. It was removed during a hysterectomy in 2001. When the gynecologist did the surgery, she discovered the abdominal adhesions. It's been 10 months since my surgery and the chronic pain is back; vicious circle!

Comment from: jordan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I recently had gall bladder surgery (laparoscopic), and the doctor discovered adhesions in my upper abdomen. He had more difficulty removing the gall bladder because with everything stuck together he couldn't see it right away and had to separate things and cut another hole to get at it. I have never had surgery before in the abdomen so he was confused. But for several years I have had pancreatitis. I've had a lot of pain, three ER visits, and about six or eight attacks in last 10 years.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I had been having abdominal pain after a partial hysterectomy dr.s would not listen to me. So about 8 months later I woke up early in severe pain went to ER and rushed into emergency surgery. My appendix had attached to my bowel and shut my bowel off. Also had to have my ovaries taken out and a large amount of scar tissue cut back. It is now 5 months later and having the same symptoms. No health insurance will have to wait until emergency again because no Dr. will take you without insurance. Hopefully in September will have insurance. The next problem will be finding A Dr. to listen

woman with abdominal pain