Patient Comments: Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

The abdominal adhesions started with a C-section 33 years ago. I had 3 C-sections, hysterectomy, abscess removed from bowel, oophorectomy, part of my rectum removed and a couple of small surgeries. The last 9 years I have struggled with partial bowel obstructions. The pain is so severe and come and goes. The doctors said there's not much they can do for me. Removal of the adhesions can cause more adhesions.

Comment from: Cherokee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had pelvic pain and blood in my urine for six months. Pain in my left ovary and uterus was intense and I thought for sure that it was a female organ problem. I have a wonderful obstetrician/gynecologist who has been my doctor for 24 years. He did laparoscopy, uterine hysteroscopy, and bladder cystoscopy and everything looked great except that he found extensive scar tissue adhesions on my colon which he thinks were left over from my gallbladder surgery 17 years ago. He removed the scar tissue and I hope that this will be the solution to the severe pelvic pain.

Comment from: lulu smith, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had pain for over 5 months in my belly, intestinal and cervical area on the right side that affects my ability to go to the bathroom, hurts, and swells low and up the right side. Tests show nothing except scan shows something perhaps left from prior surgery, a hernia in belly button area, a small but growing tumor on the adrenal gland and I know there is a clot catcher in there somewhere. I had surgery in my twenties for a baby problem, I also had my tubes tied in my thirties, and was treated for ulcers and diverticulitis in my thirties and forties. I suffered with a deep vein thrombosis in my leg in 2008 and 3 entries across my stomach and down my leg, with the last one jerked out too fast leaving me in agony across my lower abdomen. Unfortunately, also my father beat and kicked me with his work boots. So there seem to be reasons to look at abdominal adhesions.

Comment from: MsTamara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had five surgeries and my body builds up scar tissue and abdominal adhesions because with every surgery they have had to remove a lot. I am always in pain and I can hardly take it. What makes me sad is that every doctor tells me there is nothing they can do. So in other words I have to live the rest of my life in this horrible pain. It even hurts when I sit down. Walking is horrible, and when I sit for a long time and I stand up I feel like crying it hurts so badly. There have been times when I have wondered to myself, why I should have to spend the rest of my life in pain. I have been hurting for 10 years now but for the last four years it has gotten worse. I can't take it anymore I wish I had some help.

Comment from: Kitkat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

In 2005 I got partial hysterectomy, and two days later had internal bleeding. Now I have a scar straight past belly button. Three years later in 2008 woke up in severe pain and had emergency surgery for abdominal adhesion and blockage. Then three years later 2011 same thing. Now I'm going through same bloating, look pregnant, and have constipation. Just waiting, it is now 3 years.

Comment from: Weary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I wonder if a stabbing, burning pain in navel be due to adhesions. I have had multiple surgeries so have lots of scar tissue.

Comment from: Sharon Schell, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

It feels like my insides are being stretched apart or pulled on like you would stretch a rubber band. There is also a lot of gas and bloating. I live in constant pain for 12 years now. I have been to doctors and been told I have gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, gastroparesis and oversensitive nerve endings so my pain is terrible. I hope all of you are feeling better.

Comment from: Missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a C section 28 years ago. My second one was 13 years after and when they did the second C section the doctors said they cut off a lot of adhesions and they said I will get a lot of pain when I get my periods. Four years later I had another C section and I took an injection to stay awake during the surgery. After the baby came out I could feel the pulling and tugging in my stomach which they said was due to the adhesions being so thick to cut out. Now 11 years after I still get stomach pains and can't lie down comfortably without feeling as if my stomach is falling out.

Comment from: tummytrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Adhesions are nothing to play with! When they have blocked your bowel it is a pain that exceeds the 0-10 scale. It's been 3 months since I was cleaned stem to sternum of abdominal adhesions. Within 6 weeks I was in excruciating pain and vomiting stool! The six attempts at getting a nasogastric tube in place were unsuccessful and gave me a severe nose bleed to the point that I was vomiting not only stool but my own blood. Finally the decision was made to insert a tube into my stomach to drain it. It was the only thing that relieved the pain. I am now still with the stomach tube and on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) because I lost 25lbs in 7 to 10 days. Since then I've only been able to gain 5lbs. Eating is a chore. I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from the whole experience sometimes I scream out in pain while I'm sleeping! This has been a horrible experience but thankfully I finally got my doctor to listen when I told them something was wrong because my stool looked like little worms! Fecal incontinence was also a big problem!

Comment from: Sylvadoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I believe I may have abdominal adhesions. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically in 2009. About a year ago I started having this intense pain around my belly button. It feels like pins and needles most of the time, but occasionally it feels like someone is stabbing me from the inside. The pain is localized to the area that was cut, my belly button, straight up the abdomen and it stops right before my sternum. I also developed keloids after surgery. The pain gets worse when I lay down. I cannot even just get up anymore. I have to roll over then slowly push myself up. When I do that I feel this tugging sensation in my abdomen. The pain also worsens during my menstrual period and slowly goes away after it is over.

Comment from: ShannonLee56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a full hysterectomy in July 2016 and so it's been about 2 and a half months. Lately I have been experiencing tenderness touching my stomach. Sometimes I can barely run my fingers over my skin and it feels like a sunburn. But my abdomen is tender in different areas. It even hurts when I sit down, walk and sometimes lying in different positions. In the past, I have had 2 gastric bypasses. One was a revision. I also had a tummy tuck. It looks like I have a hernia but it is not in the area that hurts. It feels like something sharp is poking me from the inside of my stomach behind my belly button. The pain is sharp. I just had a CT done on my abdomen and it showed nothing. I think it must be abdominal adesions. I am in pain management for other issues. I also suffer from fibromyalgia. It seems like hydrocodone is the only thing I can take for the pain.

Comment from: treetoper, 35-44 (Patient) Published: December 29

Twenty years ago I got gall bladder surgery. The belly button did not work so they cut right side. For a few years I have had numbing around the area except for a sticky feeling when I move a certain way. I have made lots of trips to the doctor, but nothing helped and I am concerned about abdominal adhesions. Seven months ago I was told I have ankylosing spondylitis so I started physical therapy to build up my abdominal muscles. During treatment I got bad burning and sharp pain on the scar. Today I woke up sick and hurting in the area, and when looking at it I noticed a small deep bruise that is very painful.

Comment from: rappar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been living in constant pain because abdominal adhesions for the last 10 years. It only gets worse and I have yet to find any hope of help.

Comment from: StorminNorman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 46 year old male who has recently had hiatal hernia surgery, Nissen fundoplication and gallbladder removal surgery. They found adhesions at the gallbladder site and in the pelvis area and cut them out. My stomach is tender to the touch, and my doctor says everything is normal, but I am very concerned. They have done a barium swallow and x-ray to see if everything is okay, so far so good.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am suffering from abdominal adhesions because I have had 3 separate stomach surgeries. I am debating on having some of the scar tissue removed. My doctor advised me that no surgeon in my town will do it. The pain is increasing and happening more often now. It is the worst pain ever. I never have any notice when it is going to matter. My doctor also advised me that if they open me up again I will grow more scar tissue, like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't know what to do. It is ruining my life!

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

After 2 1/2 years of undiagnosed abdominal pain and being sent home from the emergency room (twice) because they don't know what's wrong, I finally got surgery last week. It was a small hernia near an old laparoscopy site (had laparoscopy 25 years ago, and 2 years ago to remove gallbladder and appendix as a guess to what is wrong) and there were 2 adhesions, one on colon near stomach and one on my poor liver which was very attached to scar tissue.

Comment from: bebeofthree, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Today is day five after having my gall bladder removed. Since I had hernia surgeries with patches they could not take it out through my belly button. So I am cut on my side bruised so bad it just aches. I had adhesions so bad and the gall bladder was attached to the liver which is enlarged. I wish there was a way to stop adhesions. I get them so bad that everything inside of me sticks together.

Comment from: Delia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had an abdominal myomectomy eleven weeks ago in which 27 fibroid tumors were removed. I am still in pain. Almost immediately after my surgery and throughout my entire recovery I have been experiencing horrendous gastrointestinal cramping and very loud bowel sounds. I was convinced I had a partial small bowel obstruction due to adhesions from the surgery. Abdominal distention was hard to assess because I was so swollen from the surgery. But I was not vomiting, was having daily bowel movements, did not have a fever, etc., so I never did go to hospital. I was seeing the doctor regularly for post-operation appointments and he kept telling me it was all part of the healing process. Now, eleven weeks into my recovery I am still experiencing intestinal cramping and pain, but it has gotten better over these weeks. I don"t know what to think. Just happy I"m going in the right direction. Perhaps it has all been caused by swelling from surgery. I do not know.

Comment from: bekkah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a total hysterectomy almost a year ago. It was for the treatment of cervical cancer, but since I had signs of endometriosis, they removed the ovaries as well. Even though I had the da Vinci robotic surgery and I only (I say "only" loosely) had 5 small incisions, I feel like I may have adhesions from the surgery. I did have a laparoscopy about 7 years before my hysterectomy, so may be that contributes to it. My symptoms include bloating temporarily, menstrual like cramping, and a "tight" feeling - like there are strings holding my skin outside to something on the inside and if I stretch too far... well, I"m sorry I stretched at all. It doesn"t seem to affect me daily, but sometimes the cramping and bloating are just awful! Being 45 and on the estrogen pills, I know I deal with menopause symptoms but I"m wondering if the synthetic hormones contribute to this at all… may be like it is tricking my body into thinking I"m having a period sometimes. I don"t have any bleeding or discharge problems, but the tightening and cramping are brutal sometimes and I wish I could find an answer!

Comment from: June, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My symptom of my abdominal adhesion is that my stomach bloats. I look pregnant. It makes me feel bad. I had a hysterectomy when I was 28. I have been having swelling the past few months. It's getting worse. I had an x-ray and it showed I had adhesions of the bowel. I am taking PhaZyme. It helped a few days, but last night it swelled really big. The swelling goes down over night. When I'm not swelled I have a flat stomach.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have been in the hospital with two partial blockages. The doctors were able to relieve both blockages, by giving me lots of medicine. I was also very dehydrated and they had to give me 22 bottles of sodium drip. Now I am back at home, taking Miralax. Now this is the third day I haven't had a bowel movement again. I am hurting very badly in my left abdomen and my lower back.

Comment from: lin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have adhesions and will need surgery.

Comment from: pet lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had gall bladder surgery followed by a hernia surgery 2 month later. I have abrasions around scar near navel area. I have pain stabbing once in a while but keep getting swelling from the area with hot feeling around them. My doctor treated once with antibiotics, but it has broken out again with blisters around this area. It's been around 2 years since the surgery.

Comment from: Anita Hassey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I first had a partial hysterectomy in 1978. Within six months, I had pain in my abdomen. Five years later, I had surgery for abdominal adhesions. They left the ovaries, which I felt may be the cause. Another five years later, I had another surgery for abdominal adhesions, and this time the doctor took my ovaries. Each of these surgeries was done by hip-to-hip incisions. Finally, 13 years ago I had a third surgery (since the original hysterectomy) for abdominal adhesions. This one, however, was done with a laporoscope. I have had no trouble until the last couple of months. The old familiar dull ache has been growing more and more intense. I'm now nearly 66 years old and probably facing a fourth surgery for adhesions. What would you suggest? Thanks very much.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter