Grapefruit is the round, yellow-orange fruit of an evergreen citrus tree called Citrus x paradisi (which belongs to the Rutaceae family). It is a small perennial tree that grows up to 15 to 30 feet and has:
- Green, ovate-shaped leaves
- Fragrant, four-petaled, white flowers
- Rounded, smooth, finely-dotted fruit
Grapefruit essential oil is derived from the rind of grapefruit through a method called cold-pressing. It provides an invigorating and energizing aroma.
Grapefruit essential oil is a popular citrus-scented oil frequently used in aromatherapy and is cherished as an addition to various skin care and home-cleaning products.
7 health benefits of grapefruit essential oil
- Has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties:
- Grapefruit is well-known for its ability to support a healthy metabolism through its limonene content.
- Various in vitro (test-tube) and in vivo (animal) studies have reported the ability of grapefruit to exhibit antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties.
- A study suggested that this oil is effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a group of bacteria that are hard to treat due to their naturally stronger resistance to everyday antibiotics.
- Test-tube studies have reported that this oil is effective against potentially harmful bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecalis, and Escherichia coli.
- Helps lower blood pressure:
- Hypertension affects one in four Americans and is triggered by stress and an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Some researchers suggest that aromatherapy in conjunction with prescription medications may help control blood pressure and stress levels.
- Inhaling the vapor of heated grapefruit and lavender essential oil has immediate and long-term positive effects on people with hypertension.
- Moreover, these essential oils help decrease cortisol, a hormone released in response to stress.
- Prevents and treats skin ailments:
- Grapefruit essential oil can effectively heal the skin and provide a barrier against bacteria.
- It contributes to healthy skin by preventing and treating skin conditions, such as acne, because of its refreshing aroma and potent antibacterial and antioxidant activity.
- This oil helps improve the appearance of blemishes when applied topically.
- In addition, researchers concluded that grapefruit essential oil has some antibacterial activity against P acnes, a bacterium commonly associated with the development of acne.
- Rich in antioxidants:
- Studies have reported that grapefruit essential oil is rich in antioxidants, which help the body fight cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.
- Research suggests that grapefruit essential oil can effectively fight fungal strains, such as Candida albicans, especially in people with a weakened immune system.
- Helps uplift mood:
- Studies suggest that aromatherapy is a beneficial complementary therapy for balancing mood and relieving anxiety.
- Diffused grapefruit essential oil contains limonene that invokes a sense of clarity and helps to alleviate the mood.
- Promotes weight loss:
- Grapefruit essential oil adds a fresh, citrusy flavor to food and beverages and may provide circulatory and lymphatic support and help support healthy weight management when taken internally.
- One animal study reported that the scent of grapefruit essential oil stimulated the breakdown of fat tissue and led to a reduction in food intake.
- A human study reported that its use in massage therapy may help reduce abdominal fat and waist circumference.
- Suppresses appetite:
- One animal study suggested that the scent of grapefruit essential oil helps reduce appetite, food intake, and body weight by increasing activity in the gastric vagal nerve, which plays an important role in stimulating the production of stomach juices needed for digestion.
- However, the same effect is not confirmed in humans.
What are the uses of grapefruit essential oil?
Essential oils are widely utilized as natural medicinal components of plants.
Grapefruit essential oil contains mixtures of volatile compounds, predominantly monoterpenes, and some sesquiterpenes, which are responsible for their characteristic aroma.
Limonene, a major compound in grapefruit essential oil can dissolve oils, which makes it a common ingredient in hand cleansers.
Grapefruit essential oil blends well with frankincense, ylang-ylang, geranium, lavender, peppermint, rosemary, and bergamot essential oils, which can provide additional body and mind benefits.
The simplest ways to use grapefruit essential oil include:
- Inhaling the fragrance of grapefruit oil directly from the bottle relieves stress and headaches.
- Combine grapefruit oil with carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, and rub it topically on sore muscles.
- Mix one to two drops of grapefruit oil with half a teaspoon of jojoba or coconut oil and apply to the acne-affected region.
Is grapefruit essential oil safe to use?
Grapefruit essential oil is safe to use topically or via inhalation for most people. However, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Internal consumption: Essential oils are proven to be safe when used after dilution on the skin or inhaled when heated, but they are toxic and can be fatal in high doses if ingested.
- Photosensitivity: The use of citrus essential oils enhances photosensitivity and may cause sunburn.
- Pregnancy: Essential oils have been used by many women to help with the stress and anxiety of pregnancy, but it is recommended to consult with the doctor before using them.
- Infants and children: It is best to check with a healthcare provider before using essential oils on children due to safety concerns.
- Pets: They can be more sensitive to essential oils than humans.
- After Salmonella Cases Double in a Week, Cantaloupe Recall Expanded
- Soccer 'Heading' Tied to Declines in Brain Function
- Smoking Tobacco Plus Weed Greatly Raises Odds for Emphysema
- COVID Vaccines Curbed Pandemic-Linked Surge in Preemie Births
- Could a 'Brain Coach' Help Folks at Higher Risk for Alzheimer's?
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Chemical Profiling, Toxicity and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Essential Oils from Three Grapefruit Cultivars from KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8199889/
Health Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil. https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-grapefruit-essential-oil#1
10 Wonderful Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/grapefruit-essential-oil.html
Top 7 Benefits and Uses of Grapefruit Essential Oil Related Articles
Aromatherapy and Essential OilsAromatherapy is the use of essential oils to improve the health and well-being of a person, which may help with anxiety, and some adverse effects of cancer therapy, such as insomnia and nausea. Essential oils, in addition to producing aroma, ease symptoms of stress, anxiety, and headaches, and promote more profound levels of relaxation and quality sleep.
What Are the Best Fruits for Lowering Blood Pressure?The best fruits for lowering blood pressure include citrus fruits, berries, bananas, pomegranates, prunes, and melons.
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
grapefruitGrapefruit is the fruit of a species of citrus tree, Citrus paradisi. Grapefruit is used medicinally to prevent plaque formation in the arteries (atherosclerosis), to protect against cancer growth, to promote weight loss, and for various other purposes, although, there is little scientific research to back many of its uses. Common side effects of grapefruit include reduced red blood cell percentage (hematocrit) in the blood and interactions with drugs metabolized by CYP3A4 enzyme. Avoid taking excessive amounts of grapefruit if you are pregnant or if you are a nursing mother.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
11 Exotic Fruits You Should TryExotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe, how to prepare them and what nutrition they offer.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
What Is Aromatherapy and What Are Its Benefits?Aromatherapy is a complementary medical approach used by trained professionals. It involves the use of concentrated essential oils that are distilled from plants (flowers, stalks, and leaves) for their therapeutic properties.
What Is the Best Essential Oil for Headaches?Using essential oils to help relieve pain from headaches depends on the type, such as peppermint and lavender oil is best for migraine relief.
What Is Thieves Essential Oil Good For?Essential oils have been in use for centuries. They have been hailed not only for their pleasant aroma but also for their potential benefits in boosting physical, mental, and emotional well-being. One such essential oil, called thieves oil, has been popular for ages for its multi-faceted benefits.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.