Effective ways to stop hair loss in men
Hair loss is one of the common problems in men
Below is the list of effective solutions to help reduce or prevent hair loss:
- Treat dietary deficiencies: Low levels of iron, vitamins such as B complex, and proteins in the diet and vitamin D deficiency may lead to the weakening of hair. This must be identified and treated on time.
- Telogen effluvium: This is a temporary condition seen in both men and women. Severe hair loss is seen after a period of extreme emotional stress or illness. This type of hair fall is usually reversible.
- Reduce alcoholic beverages: Reducing alcohol intake can be beneficial for hair growth.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking cigarettes reduces the amount of blood that flows to the scalp, and this causes a reduction in hair growth.
- Diet: Regularly taking a balanced diet rich in proteins, fiber, and fruits will help strengthen the hair.
- Medication: Rogaine (Minoxidil) is an FDA-approved medicine for local application to reduce the male patterned baldness. However, hair loss may reverse once the application is stopped. Another medication that works on male pattern hair loss is orally taking Propecia (Finasteride).
- Avoid brushing wet hair: Hair may be weak when it is wet. It is therefore recommended to avoid brushing wet hair. Brushing hair too frequently can injure hair and increase hair loss. Using fingers to undo tangles is known to be a better alternative.
- De-stress: Studies in the past have found medical evidence to link stress with hair loss. De-stress yourself; one of the ways of doing it is by practicing meditation. Alternative therapy such as meditation and yoga not only reduces stress but also restores hormonal balance and reduces hair fall problems.
- Biotin: Biotin, also known as vitamin H, is one of the B complex vitamins that help our body convert food into energy. Studies have suggested that including biotin-rich food in your diet or taking biotin supplements may slow hair loss. If you are dealing with hair fall problems, then include biotin-rich foods such as nuts, sweet potatoes, eggs, onions, and oats in your diet.
- Hydration: The hair shaft comprises one-quarter water, so drinking at least four to eight cups of water in a day and staying hydrated can increase hair growth.
- Avoid constant heating and drying: Frequent or constant heating and drying of hair are not advisable. Heat weakens hair proteins, and constant heating and drying can lead to weakness and fragility that causes hair loss.
- Frequent hair coloring: Frequent coloring and chemical treatment of hair can also lead to the weakening of hair shaft and poor hair health.
- Sweat-free scalp: Men with oily hair, experience dandruff during summer due to sweating. Using mild shampoos that balance the scalp pH can help reducing hair fall. Additionally, men who wear helmet experience major hair loss in summer because sweat accumulates in the pores and weakens hair roots causing hair loss. Wearing a scarf or a terry cloth headband can prevent hair loss.
- Prevent traction alopecia: Certain headgears such as turbans and skull caps used on a regular basis, certain hairstyles such as ponytails, braids, and artificial hairstyles pull hair or tug hair follicles and can eventually cause localized baldness.
- Physical activity: Regular physical activity such as walking and swimming for 30 minutes a day helps balance hormonal levels, reducing stress levels besides reducing hair fall.
- Treat itchy scalp on time: Many scalp infections such as fungal diseases (tinea) or lice may cause scalp irritation and hair fall. It is important to consult a dermatologist and take treatment for the same.
- Thyroid problems: Overactive thyroid gland or hypoactive thyroid gland are both known to cause hair loss. The thyroid conditions must be identified and treated in time.
- Diabetes: Increased sugars may increase the risk of folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles). Keeping sugars under control is a must.
- Alopecia causing medications: Vitamin A medicines taken for acne and cancer therapy can cause severe hair loss. Folic acid supplementation may help restore the medicine-induced hair loss.
- Massages: Although studies have reported no evidence of new hair growth due to oils and hair masks, regular massaging of the scalp may increase blood circulation in the scalps and help you to relax and improve scalp health.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Medically Reviewed on 8/26/2020
Top 20 Ways to Stop Hair Loss in Men Related Articles
What Is the Best Treatment To Cure Telogen Effluvium?Learn what medical treatments can help treat telogen effluvium and help you manage this condition.
Can Stress Cause Hair Loss and Will It Grow Back?What is stress related hair loss? Will the hair grow back? Learn about the relationship between stress and hair loss and what to do if you’re experiencing it.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss (Alopecia)There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata, trichotillomania, and tinea capitis), telogen effluvium, and androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness).
Hair Loss SlideshowLearn about hair loss in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
How Do I Know If I Have Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia?What is the difference between telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia? Learn about these hair loss conditions and how to treat them.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Thicker Hair?Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetic tendency for baldness, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). Home remedies for thicker hair include massaging the scalp with oil, using minoxidil, applying hair masks or aloe vera, eating a balanced diet or taking hair growth supplements and nutrients.