Parenting a teenager who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be challenging. Parents can use specific strategies to help their teen cope with school and homework. Special care should be taken to help an ADHD teen drive safely and avoid alcohol and drug use. Read more: 13 Tips for Parenting a Teen With ADHD Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Childhood ADHD Quiz: Test, Symptoms & Medication
Find out causes, symptoms, and treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, a widespread behavioral condition...
ADHD Symptoms in Children
What is ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)? Learn to recognize ADHD symptoms in children....
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
ADHD: Top Concentration-Killers in Pictures
Learn the truth about multitasking, email overload, nagging thoughts, hunger, and other brain drains of modern life. See what's...
Related Disease Conditions
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Parenting a Child With ADHD
ADHD is a behavioral condition with characteristics that include hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. Parenting a child...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Ritalin LA, Concerta, Methylin, Methylin ER, Daytrana)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- desipramine, Norpramin
- amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, Adderall, Adderall XR
- ADD or ADHD Medications
- methamphetamine hydrochloride - oral, Desoxyn
- dexmethylphenidate (Focalin, Focalin XR)
- dextroamphetamine sustained-action capsule - oral, Dexedrine
- guanfacine (Intuniv, Tenex)
- dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dextrostat, ProCentra, Zenzedi)
- Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)
- methylphenidate patch (Daytrana)
- methylphenidate hydrochloride (Quillivant XR)
- Kapvay (clonidine extended-release)
- Vayarin (phosphatidylserine-omega-3 Liprinen)
- Stimulants (ADHD)
- Adderall vs. Concerta
- Adderall vs. Dexedrine
- Atomoxetine vs. Adderall
- Vyvanse vs. Strattera
- Adderall vs. Ritalin (Differences and Similarities)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Coping With ADHD
- ADHD Tied to Raised Risk of Early Parkinson's
- Can Smartphones Trigger ADHD Symptoms in Teens?
- Are Concussions Tougher on Athletes With ADHD?
- Do Antipsychotic Meds for Kids Raise Diabetes Risk?
- After-School Programs a Blessing for Kids With ADHD
- Kids With Severe Brain Injuries May Develop ADHD: Study
- Treating ADHD May Help Curb Later Drinking, Drug Problems
- Teens With ADHD Face a Higher Crash Risk
- ADHD Tied to Higher Risk of Eating Disorder in Kids and Teens
- ADHD Linked to Earlier Use of Illicit Drugs in Teens: Study
- ADHD May Raise Teens' Odds for Smoking, Drinking
- U.S. Kids Use ADHD Meds More During School Year
- Drug Therapy May Lower Odds That Kids With ADHD Will Smoke
- Kids With ADHD May Face Higher Obesity Risk as Teens
- Use of Tylenol in Pregnancy Tied to Higher ADHD Risk in Child
- Low Iron in Brain a Sign of ADHD?
- ADHD + Texting = Double Trouble for Teen Drivers, Study Finds
- Many Parents Unaware of Teens' Abuse of ADHD Drugs
- One in 10 U.S. Kids Diagnosed With ADHD: Report
- Teen ADHD May Increase Risk for Adult Problems
- Teens With ADHD May Need Help Making Transition to College
- Teen Impulsiveness Has Different Sources in ADHD, Substance Use
- Teens With ADHD Often Have Trouble Completing High School