Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, odorless, and colorless gas. The potential sources of carbon monoxide in the house may be poorly functioning heating systems, water heaters, fuel-burning devices with no vents (for example, kerosene heaters, charcoal grills, camping stoves, gasoline-powered electrical generators), and motor vehicles. The open-air exposure to motorboat exhaust can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning. The underground electrical cable fires produce large amounts of carbon monoxide gas that may seep into nearby houses. Carbon monoxide poisoning may happen due to smoking hookah.
The following 12 signs may help you to detect a carbon monoxide leakage or buildup in your home. They are:
- You see black, sooty marks on the front covers of gas fires.
- There is heavy condensation built up at the windowpane where the appliance is installed.
- Sooty or yellow/brown stains on or around boilers, stoves, or fires.
- Smoke building up in rooms.
- Yellow flames coming out from gas appliances except at natural gas fireplaces.
- The pilot lights blow out frequently.
- Solid fuel fires burn a lot slower than usual.
- People in your home have these symptoms:
- Symptoms disappear once you are away from your home.
- You get seasonal symptoms, such as headaches during the winter when the central heating is used more frequently.
- Pets become ill.
- Symptoms appear or seem to get worse when using fuel-burning equipment.
How to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in your house?
It is essential to detect any carbon monoxide leak in your house to prevent any hazards. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, killing approximately 400 Americans every year. Hence, it is imperative to check and prevent any leaks to avoid any mishaps. Some ways to prevent carbon monoxide leak in your home include:
- Fit a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector alarms near your bedroom to detect any CO leak.
- Service your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances every year by a qualified technician.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- If there is a leak from the refrigerator, seek the help of an expert technician. The leak may be due to carbon monoxide.
- Buy gas equipment, which carries the seal of a national testing agency.
- Make sure your gas appliances are inspected for proper ventilation.
- Check or clean your chimney every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris, which can cause CO buildup inside your home or cabin.
- Never use tape, gum, or something else to seal the vent pipe. This kind of temporary seal can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
- Never use a gas range, cloth dryer, or oven for heating the room because it may lead to the buildup of carbon monoxide.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal gives off CO.
- Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
- Never use gasoline-powered engines inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
- Avoid smoking inside your home.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top 12 Signs There Is Carbon Monoxide in Your House Related Articles
Food PoisoningConcerned about food poisoning outbreaks? From ground beef to lettuce, many foods can cause them. Learn about foodborne diseases like Salmonella, E. coli, norovirus, Campylobacter, Staph, and hepatitis A.
What Are the Differences Between Anoxia and Hypoxia?Anoxia and hypoxia are often used interchangeably, but they do refer to different things. Learn what the differences are.
Food PoisoningFood poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Food poisoning has many causes, for example, chemicals (from toxic fish or plants) and bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus or Salmonella). Treatment of food poisoning depends upon the cause.
Plants and RashesYou may know to look for poison ivy's three-leaf stem, but what else do you know about rash-causing plants? WebMD explores myths and facts of poison plants.
Poison Control CentersThe United States National Poison Hotline is 1-800-222-1222. When you call this number you will be automatically linked to the nearest poison center in the United States. Call this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to talk to a poison expert.
Poison Ivy, Oak, and SumacPoison ivy, oak, and sumac contain a substance called urushiol, which causes a rash on people who come in contact with them. Symptoms and signs include a red, swollen, itchy, blistering, bumpy rash. Treatment involves rinsing the exposed area with water, taking antihistamines and over-the-counter pain medications, using topical treatments such as calamine lotion, and applying cool compresses.
Radon (A Citizen's Guide to Radon)Radon is a radioactive gas that has been confirmed to cause cancers. About 21,000 individuals die each year due to radon exposure. Radon can be found in the ground, water supply, and the air you breathe. It is found in schools, homes, offices, and other buildings. You can purchase a Radon Test Kit and have the sample sent to the state radon office. Research has shown that the risk of lung cancer from breathing radon in air is much greater than the risk of stomach cancer from swallowing water with radon in it. The EPA offers a Consumers Guide to Radon Reduction so you can take action to reduce radon levels in your home, school, or office. Scientists are more certain about radon risks than from most other cancer-causing substances.