Stroke is a serious medical condition. If you think you or someone you know is having a stroke call 911 immediately.
There are two main types of strokes, hemorrhagic and ischemic (the most common type).
A hemorrhagic stroke occurs due to a blood vessel rupture in the brain. An ischemic stroke occurs when a blood clot becomes lodged in a blood vessel in the brain, which causes a loss of blood supply to the brain, possibly causing brain tissue death.
FAST is an acronym that helps people identify stroke signs and symptoms so they can act fast and call 911. Face drooping, Arm weakness, and Speech difficulty are indicators that a person may be having a stroke and it is Time to seek emergency medical treatment. Additional signs and symptoms of stroke may include weakness, difficulty walking, blurred vision, dizziness, headache, confusion, difficulty speaking, and loss of sensation. .
Stroke is a major cause of death and disability in the US. Early identification and treatment of stroke helps reduce the risk of morbidity and mortality.Read more: 14 Signs and Symptoms of Stroke (FAST) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) Quiz
Take the Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism Quiz to learn causes, symptoms, and treatments for these two dangerous...
Stroke Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Stroke Quiz to learn about stroke risks, causes, treatment, and most importantly, prevention....
Picture of Blood Clot
Blood that has been converted from a liquid to a solid state. See a picture of Blood Clot and learn more about the health topic....
Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
What is a stroke? Learn about stroke symptoms like sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, vision problems, or problems with...
DVT in Pictures: Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis, Beyond Leg Pain and More
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a dangerous and sometimes fatal blood clot that occurs deep within the lower leg or thigh....
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Stroke is the third leading killer in the United States. Some of the warning signs of stroke include sudden confusion, trouble...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)
When a portion of the brain loses blood supply, through a blood clot or embolus, a transient ischemic attack (TIA, mini-stroke)...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Symptoms, Levels, Diet and Causes
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
Locked-in syndrome is a condition that causes paralysis and the inability to speak or move the face. A hemorrhage and blood clot...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA or Temporal Arteritis)
Giant cell arteritis, inflammation of blood vessel walls, affects 10%-15% of polymyalgia rheumatica patients. Symptoms of giant...
Stroke vs Aneurysm (Differences and Similarities)
A stroke or "brain attack" is caused because blood flow to an area of the brain has been cut off by a blood clot or by a weakened...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
Stroke vs. Mini-Stroke (TIA)
A stroke or "brain attack" occurs when a blood clot or artery ruptures within the brain. The rupture or clot causes...
Migraine and Stroke (Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Migraine headache is a type of headache in which the exact cause is not known; however, they may be inherited, and certain...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Stroke FAQs
- Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism FAQs
- Cancer,Stroke & Heart Attack Risks- ReducedThrough Walking
- Heart Disease & Stroke - Progress
- Proven measures to prevent heart attacks and strokes?
- Heart Disease Stroke and Diabetes
- Stroke: Recognizing a Stroke - Three Commands for the Victim
- TIA (Mini Stroke) Symptoms: A Trip to the ER
- The Worst Headache of Your Life: Brain Hemorrhage Symptoms
- Surviving a Stroke
- Is It a Stroke or a TIA (Mini Stroke)?
- Stroke Symptoms - Typical
- Stroke Treatment
- Stroke Symptoms
Medications & Supplements
- clopidogrel (Plavix)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) vs. simvastatin (Zocor)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
- Coumadin vs. Plavix (Differences and Similarities)
- Ibuprofen and Plavix (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Aspirin vs. Plavix (clopidogrel)
Prevention & Wellness
- Diabetes Drug Might Help Shield the Heart From Smog's Ill Effects
- Mediterranean Diet May Cut Stroke Risk for Women, But Not Men
- Blood Infection Sepsis Tied to Heart Attack, Stroke
- Blacks, Hispanics Suffer Second Bleeding Strokes More Often
- New Blood Pressure Rules Could Prevent Many 2nd Strokes: Study
- Scans Can Tell How Long Ago a Stroke Occurred
- After 'Mini-Stroke,' Drug Combo Could Help Cut Odds for Major Attack
- What You Need to Know About Strokes
- Could Time in a Sauna Lower Your Stroke Risk?
- A Better Clot-Buster Drug for Strokes?
- As Younger Men's Smoking Rises, So Does Their Stroke Risk
- Stroke's Impact May Go Far Beyond the Physical, Study Finds
- Magnetic Heart Pump Cuts Risk of Blood Clots, Stroke in Study
- As Stroke 'Liquefies' Brain Tissue, Lasting Harm May Spread
- 'Silent' Seizures Tied to Alzheimer's Symptoms
- 9 Out of 10 Strokes Could Be Prevented, Study Finds