Why do a colon cleanse?
In spite of insufficient research to support its benefits, the goal of colon cleansing is to clear the colon of any stagnant, supposedly toxic waste encrusted on the walls of the large intestine.
Possible benefits of a colon cleanse include
It may also be performed at home by taking certain oral substances.
Is colon cleansing safe?
Colon cleansing products are available over the counter. These products claim they are natural. This does not necessarily mean they are safe. Colon cleansing alone may not help weight loss as most calories are absorbed in the small intestine. Frequent colon cleanses can lead to a change in the natural bacteria of the colon, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, tearing of the colon, infection, abdominal pain, giddiness, nausea and vomiting. This can be dangerous in the presence of other underlying medical conditions, especially those of the heart and kidneys.
The colon cleansing products may be taken orally or an enema or colon irrigation may be performed by a professional.
10 natural home remedies for colon cleansing
- Water flush: Drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated is the simplest way to regulate digestion. Drinking six to eight glasses of lukewarm water per day is recommended for colon cleansing. Additionally, eating fresh fruits and vegetables high in water content like watermelon and tomatoes would be helpful.
- Saltwater flush: Mixing two teaspoons of sea salt or pink salt with lukewarm water and drinking it on an empty stomach is helpful. It stimulates colon movements within a few minutes. This may be done twice a day.
- High-fiber diet: Fiber is an essential nutrient present in whole, healthy plant foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds and more. Fibers help bulk up excess matter in the colon. They can regulate constipation and overactive bowels. They also boost helpful bacteria.
- Lemon water and honey: Mix fresh lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of salt with warm water and drink on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Juices and smoothies: These include fruit and vegetable juice fasts and cleanses. Juices made of apples, lemons and aloe vera help in colon cleansing. They also contain nutrients which are beneficial to the body.
- Probiotics: Probiotics help to cleanse the colon and boost good bacteria in the gut. Foods like yogurt, pickles, apple cider vinegar and other fermented foods are considered to be good probiotics.
- Herbal teas: Trying some herbal teas may assist digestive health via the colon. Laxative herbs like psyllium, aloe vera and marshmallow root may help with constipation.
- Ginger: Ginger stimulates digestion. It can be added to other juices, tea or eaten directly. One teaspoon of ginger juice and honey can be mixed with one cup of warm water. This can be consumed once or twice a day.
- Fish oil: Fish oils may be taken as supplements as well. They contain omega-3 fatty acids which are effective for colon cleansing.
- Fasting: Not eating anything is a method of colon cleansing. It helps the kidneys and liver eliminate harmful toxins from the body. Drinking water, fresh vegetable juices or fresh fruit juices while fasting can help.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top 10 Natural Remedies for Colon Cleansing Related Articles
Colon PictureThe part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called stool, move through it to the rectum and leave the body through the anus. See a picture of Colon and learn more about the health topic.
Colon Polyps: Symptoms, Causes, Cancer Risk, Treatment, and PreventionColon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different types of colon polyps, and the chance of the polyp becoming cancerous depends on the type, size, and histology. Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding are the most common symptoms of colon polyps. Treatment for colon polyps depend on the type, size, and histology.
Colonoscopy Procedure and PreparationA colonoscopy is a procedure whereby a docotor inserts a viewing tube (colonoscope) into the rectum for the purpose of inspecting the colon. Colonoscopy is the best method currently available to diagnose, detect, and treat abnormalities within the colon.
Colyte (peg-3350 and electrolytes)Colyte (peg-3350 and electrolytes) is a prescription medicine used to clean the colon before a colonoscopy or barium enema X-ray examination. Colyte cleans your colon by causing you to have diarrhea. Serious side effects of Colyte include changes in certain blood tests, ulcers of the bowel, or bowel problems (ischemic colitis).
Endoscopy vs. ColonoscopyBoth endoscopy and colonoscopy are nonsurgical procedures that involve use of a flexible tube with a light and camera to examine parts of the digestive tract. A colonoscopy is a type of endoscopy.
How Painful Is a Colonoscopy?A colonoscopy is a diagnostic procedure to evaluate the health of the colon and rectum. A colonoscopy is done with a colonoscope, a tube with a camera and surgical tools. The doctor can view the the colon, sample tissue for biopsy, or remove polyps. Most people feel nothing more than slight discomfort during the procedure because of mild sedation and pain medication. Some people do not feel much pain even without sedation, but some may experience cramps and pain.
All About PolypsDo you know what a polyp is? Learn the definition of a polyp, which can be found in the sinuses, stomach, colon, gallbladder, and elsewhere. Learn about endometrial polyps, adenomatous polyps, sessile polyps, pedunculated polyps, uterine polyps, and cervical polyps. Some are more likely to cause cancer.
Sutab (sodium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, and potassium chloride)Sutab is a prescription medicine used by adults to clean the colon before a colonoscopy. Sutab works as a laxative by cleaning your colon after causing you to have diarrhea. Cleaning your colon helps your healthcare provider see the inside of your colon more clearly during your colonoscopy. Sutab can cause serious side effects, including changes in certain blood tests, heart problems, seizures, and ulcers of the bowel or bowel problems (ischemic colitis).
Virtual ColonoscopyVirtual colonoscopy is a procedure that uses a CT scan to construct virtual images of the colon. Virtual colonoscopy takes approximately 10 minutes, and in comparison to traditional colonoscopy is less invasive and requires no conscious sedation. Virtual colonoscopy may not be recommended for some patients due to their medical history.