What are the benefits of eating cantaloupe? 10 benefits
There are many health benefits of eating cantaloupe.
Cantaloupe is a delicious summer fruit. It supplies many health benefits, including
- Improves vision: Eating cantaloupe daily can improve your vision. Vitamin C, zeaxanthin and carotenoids present in cantaloupe improve vision and reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration (an eye disease that causes vision loss, typically in the central field of vision).
- Balances body fluids and electrolytes: Cantaloupe is rich in water and electrolytes. This helps maintain adequate fluid and electrolyte levels in the body.
- Manages diabetes: Cantaloupes has a low glycemic load score of four. Low glycemic load means that your body digests it slowly and prevents a blood sugar spike. Thus, it is great for people with diabetes.
- Reduces dehydration: Cantaloupes are 90 percent water. High water content may prevent dehydration during the summer. Thus, having a bowl of cantaloupe in the summer will replenish lost fluids.
- Regulates blood pressure: Cantaloupes are loaded with potassium. Potassium helps relax blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
- Prevents constipation: A high level of dietary fiber is essential to promote bowel movements and digestive health. Fiber bulks up the stool and makes your bowel movement regular.
- Boosts immunity: Cantaloupe is filled with compounds called phytonutrients. Phytonutrients boost immunity and help fight off diseases. These compounds give it anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin A boosts immunity and production of white blood cells.
- Aids in fetal development: Folate in the cantaloupe is one of the most essential nutrients during pregnancy, as it prevents neural tube defects in babies. It also helps form red blood cells in the body and maintains the overall health of the mother and the baby.
- Acts as a potent anticancer agent: Studies have shown that folate plays a significant role in cancer prevention. Folate may be useful when administered in the early stages of cancer. However, folate may promote cancer-forming cells when taken in the late stages of cancer. Further research is required to discover the anticancer potential of cantaloupe.
- Provides skin nourishment and minimizes hair loss: The vitamins present in cantaloupe nourish the skin and protect the skin from harmful toxins. These minerals and vitamins encourage hair growth and simultaneously minimize hair loss.
Besides, cantaloupes also have the following benefits
What nutrients are in cantaloupe?
A 3.5-ounce serving of cantaloupe contain the following nutrients
|Total lipid (fat)||0||g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||8.96||g|
|Fiber, total dietary||0.7||g|
|Sugars, total including the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act||8.21||g|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||35.8||mg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||0||g|
|Fatty acids, total trans||0||g|
How to choose a melon
While choosing a melon, use the following guidelines
- Choose a firm melon with no obvious bruising.
- Melons should be heavy for their size.
- Choose a melon that is more yellow.
- The more yellow it appears, the sweeter it is.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Medscape Medical Reference
USDA FoodData Central
USDA FoodData Central
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Cantaloupe Related Articles
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Diet and Nutrition: Signs You're Not Getting Enough NutrientsIf you're short on an essential vitamin, mineral, or other nutrient, your body will let you know. Take note of these vitamin deficiency symptoms, and find out what to do about them.
Healthy Living and Disease PreventionThe importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and choices can be critical to good health. Learn about healthy behaviors that constitute healthy living.
All About AntioxidantsThey're sometimes seen as a kind of magic bullet for our health problems. Find out more about what antioxidants can do for your health.
19 Key Vitamins and MineralsMinerals and vitamins are key nutrients your body needs to thrive. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, niacin, and riboflavin are just a few of these nutrients. Some vitamins act as antioxidants. Minerals serve many vital roles.
The 10 Best Diet Plans For Weight LossDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.