GENERIC NAME: zolpidem
BRAND NAME: Ambien, Ambien CR, Intermezzo, Zolpimist, Edluar
DISCONTINUED BRAND: Tovalt ODT
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Zolpidem is used for treating insomnia.
- Conventional tablets are used for short-term treatment of insomnia associated with difficulty falling asleep.
- Long acting tablets are used for treating insomnia associated with difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Zolpidem improves initiation of sleep and keeps patients asleep longer.
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects of zolpidem are:
- A "drugged" feeling, which probably reflect the action of the drug
Other side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Ataxia (balance problems), and
- Visual changes.
Zolpidem can cause withdrawal symptoms (muscle cramps, sweats, shaking, and seizures) when the drug is abruptly discontinued. Zolpidem can cause abnormal behavior with confusion, paradoxical insomnia or "complex sleep-related behaviors," which may include sleep-driving (driving with no memory of having done so). If these side effects occur, zolpidem should be discontinued.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.