- HIV AIDS Myths and Facts Slideshow Pictures
- Take the HIV/AIDS Quiz
- AIDS Retrospective Slideshow Pictures
- What brand names are available for zidovudine?
- Is zidovudine available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for zidovudine?
- What are the uses for zidovudine?
- What are the side effects of zidovudine?
- What is the dosage for zidovudine?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with zidovudine?
- Is zidovudine safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about zidovudine?
What brand names are available for zidovudine?
Is zidovudine available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for zidovudine?
What are the uses for zidovudine?
- Zidovudine is used for the treatment of HIV and the prevention of HIV transmission from an infected mother to her fetus.
What are the side effects of zidovudine?
The most severe side effects of ziovudine are
- a decrease in blood cells,
- muscle pain (myopathy),
- enlarged liver,
- and metabolic disturbance (lactic acidosis).
Other side effects are
- severe headache,
- nausea, and
- weight loss.
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.