GENERIC NAME: zidovudine (ZDV, formerly called AZT)
BRAND NAME: Retrovir
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Zidovudine is used for the treatment of HIV and the prevention of HIV transmission from an infected mother to her fetus.
WARNING: (BLACK BOX WARNING):
- Zidovudine may cause low red and white blood cells.
- Long term use of zidovudine may lead to muscle damage.
- Lactic acidosis, severe hepatomegaly with steatosis, including fatal cases, may occur from use of zidovudine.
The most severe side effects of ziovudine are
- a decrease in blood cells,
- muscle pain (myopathy),
- enlarged liver,
- and metabolic disturbance (lactic acidosis).
Other side effects are
- severe headache,
- nausea, and
- weight loss.
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.