What other names is Yogurt known by?
Acidophilus Milk, Bulgarian Yogurt, Cultured Milk, Lait Acidophilus, Lait de Culture, Live Culture Yogurt, Probiotic, Probiotique, Yaourt, Yaourt Bulgare, Yaourt de Culture Vivante, Yoghurt, Yogourt, Yogourt Bulgare, Yogourt de Culture Vivante, Yogur.
What is Yogurt?
Yogurt is milk that has been fermented with various bacteria. People use it as medicine.
Possibly Effective for...
- Diarrhea in children.
- Diarrhea associated with antibiotics.
- Preventing vaginal yeast infections.
- Lactose intolerance, as an alternative to milk.
- Treating a bacterial infection that can cause stomach ulcers (Helicobacter pylori), when used in combination with other medicines.
- High cholesterol levels.
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Diarrhea in malnourished infants and children.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Bacterial vaginosis, preventing urinary tract infections, preventing colorectal cancer, treating peptic ulcers, preventing sunburns, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).