- 7 Most Effective Exercises Pictures
- Take the Exercise and Fitness Quiz!
- How to Build a Better Butt Slideshow
- What is yoga?
- Who invented yoga?
- How does yoga work?
- What are the types of yoga?
- Who's doing yoga?
- What about kids and yoga?
- What about seniors and yoga?
- What about prenatal yoga?
- Is yoga just another fitness fad?
- What are the health benefits of yoga?
- What equipment and props are needed for yoga?
- How does a yoga class work? What can I expect?
- What should be worn during yoga?
- Where can I try yoga?
- How much does yoga cost?
- How do I go about getting started with yoga?
- Is it safe to do yoga?
- What resources are available for people interested in yoga?
What resources are available for people interested in yoga?
- Hatha Yoga Manual I by Samskrti and Veda. It's out of print, but it's available used online and it's my favorite yoga book. It's simple and has pictures and descriptions of many of the poses you'll learn as a beginner. Manual II in the series is also worthwhile.
- YogaKids 3: Silly to Calm for Ages 3-6 (DVD)
- Prenatal Yoga Complete by Bodywisdom (DVD)
- Yoga for Pregnancy, Labor & Birth by Colette Crawford, R.N. (DVD)
- Yoga on the Ball: Enhance Your Yoga Practice Using the Exercise Ball by Carol Mitchell (Book)
- Yoga on the Ball by Candace Copeland (DVD)
- On the Ball: Yoga Workout for Beginners with Sara Ivanhoe (DVD)
- A.M. and P.M. Yoga for Beginners by Rodney Yee (DVD)
- http://www.yogajournal.com/ Yoga Journal
- http://www.yogafinder.com/ Yoga locator
- http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/ Yoga locator
- http://www.matsmatsmats.com/ Equipment
- http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/159.cfm Sanskrit dictionary
- http://www.yogajournal.com/OnlineDirectory/ Yoga locator
- http://www.yogaaccessories.com/Index.asp Equipment
- http://www.yogaprops.net/index.htm Equipment
Search online for "yoga DVDs" or "yoga videos" and you'll get lots of other resources.
Medically reviewed by a Board-Certified Family Practice Physician
http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/yoga/ June 4, 2007
Raub J. Psychophysiologic Effects of Hatha Yoga on Musculoskeletal and Cardiopulmonary Function: A Literature Review. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine Volume 8, Number 6, 2002, pp. 797-812
CDC Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System 1998
Li F., et al. Tai Chi and fall reductions in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003 Dec;51(12):1794-803
Chobanian et al Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 2003;42;1206-1252
Selvamurthy W, et al. A new physiological approach to control essential hypertension. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1998 Apr;42(2):205-13.
Murugesan R et al. Effect of selected yogic practices on the management of hypertension. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2000 Apr;44(2):207-10.
Singh S, et al. Role of yoga in modifying certain cardiovascular functions in type 2 diabetic patients. Assoc Physicians India. 2004 Mar;52:203-6.
Berger BG et al. Mood alteration with yoga and swimming: aerobic exercise may not be necessary. Percept Mot Skills. 1992 Dec;75(3 Pt 2):1331-43.
Oken BS et al. Randomized, controlled, six-month trial of yoga in healthy seniors: effects on cognition and quality of life. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):40-7.
Bijlani RL A brief but comprehensive lifestyle education program based on yoga reduces risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus. J Altern Complement Med. 2005 Apr;11(2):267-74.
Garfinkel MS et al. Yoga-based intervention for carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1998 Nov 11;280(18):1601-3.
Tran MD. Effects of Hatha Yoga Practice on the Health-Related Aspects of Physical Fitness. Prev Cardiol. 2001 Autumn;4(4):165-170.
R Manocha1, et al. Sahaja yoga in the management of moderate to severe asthma: a randomised controlled trial. Thorax 2002;57:110-115
Nagendra HR et al An integrated approach of yoga therapy for bronchial asthma: a 3-54-month prospective study. J Asthma. 1986;23(3):123-37.