Patient Comments: Yeast Infection - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a yeast infection?

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

To me this should be standard knowledge, but my friend who was getting yeast infections didn't know about it. Women should not be sleeping with underwear on. It causes too much heat and bacteria collects. I always sleep with just pajamas, shorts or thin light pajama pants. I had a yeast infection when I was 14 and didn't have another problem until I started using a heating blanket. Another no-no as it caused too much heat allowing the bacteria to grow.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Lots of people mention acidophilus. For those who don't know, it is a probiotic. It is one of the bacteria found in yogurt as well. We have lots of different bacteria in our vaginas that work together, but when the yeast out numbers the "good bacteria" that is when we get a yeast infection. If you are prone to yeast infections, you should regularly take probiotics to keep your inner environment balanced. Yogurt is good, but most of our yogurts contain so much sugar that they feed the yeast as well. You can get probiotics in pill form or powder to sprinkle in a cool drink or some unsweetened applesauce (like I do for my kids). Everyone in my house takes probiotics when we're on antibiotics. It's not only good for the balance in your vagina but in your guts and colon too. My kids have less diarrhea on antibiotics if they take probiotics at the same time!

Comment from: mendymae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I take acidophilus on a daily basis and it keeps me from getting yeast infections. I had a horrible yeast infection once and my friend told me to take 4 acidophilus throughout the first day, 3 the second, and one every day after that and the day after I started taking them I felt much better! I haven't had one since. All it is a pro-biotic like in yogurt but in a capsule. Hope this helps.

Comment from: WrongMeds, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was initially given an antibiotic for a UTI when I only had a sore throat because I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (which made my eye swell) I went to the ER and was prescribed the correct antibiotic four days later. I was taking the antibiotic another week and stopped eating yogurt. Now I have a yeast infection. My suggestion is that you eat lots of yogurt while on an antibiotic to prevent a yeast infection. Also drink more water than usual I found myself very thirsty. And the vaginal cream works as well as a bath with a shot or two of vinegar will help with the pH levels. I'm a nursing student I know my stuff!

Comment from: Cynthia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

At first I thought I was infected through my partner. But I went to see my doctor, and she explained me all the symptoms of yeast infection. I was taking birth control pills for 6 years, never thought I was going to get this. Plus the stress that I go through, so I stopped taking birth control pills and I try to manage my stress. I also was eating a lot of pasta, never thought that could happen to me. Me knowing that I had a yeast infection happened, like 5 months ago after two months it came again. I try to keep up with myself avoid all sugary foods.

Comment from: SydneyK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Taking pine cone extract daily not only has prevented yeast infections, but has strengthened my immune system to avoid colds as well.

Vaginal Yeast Infection - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you found effective in soothing symptoms of vaginal yeast infection?
Vaginal Yeast Infection - OTC Medications Question: What OTC medications have you found effective in treating a vaginal yeast infection?
Vaginal Yeast Infection - Prescription Medications Question: What prescription medications were effective in treating your vaginal yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Symptoms Question: Women: What were your symptoms associated with a yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Causes Question: For women: What do you believe was the cause of yeast infection for you?
Yeast Infection - Causes In Men Question: For men: Did you have a yeast infection? If so, what was the cause?