Patient Comments: Vaginal Yeast Infection - OTC Medications

What OTC medications have you found effective in treating a vaginal yeast infection?

Comment from: Laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My vaginal yeast infection disappeared after eating more alkaline foods (leafy greens) than acidic foods (sugar). There is a chart that you can find straight away which tells you which foods are alkaline and acidic. Garlic, leafy greens, watermelon, mangoes, cinnamon, turmeric are in the alkaline box. Give this a go for 3 days. The itching should stop. You must know you pH levels and eliminate sugar. Your blood is too acidic. The weight drops off as well. And energy levels increase - literally jumping off your bed. This is my 4th day of detoxing and I feel great. Though I don't expect miracles overnight. The itching has stopped and the yeast infection (discharge) is nearly gone.

Comment from: Muggins, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Candidiasis (vaginal yeast infection) can be controlled and perhaps cured by eating a diet very low in sugar and no yeast/gluten and taking two tablespoons unsweetened plain yoghurt daily. Jalna is a good brand. OTC treatments and pills are expensive and useless long term. Diet is the only thing to correct this imbalance of flora.

Comment from: Nomoreitching, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have found with great success that consuming low sugar yogurt everyday has kept my vaginal yeast infections at bay. I suppose taking an acidophilus pill every day might help too. Happy days are ahead!

Comment from: Natascha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am now with my partner for 4 years and last year I started getting vaginal yeast infection almost every month. I saw a gynecologist and got treatment and the next month I got the infection again, yet my results were all clear except for a mild infection. I also use metronidazole gel but I'm not too sure what the long term consequences are of using all this OTC medicines.

Comment from: dl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Mild white vinegar, applied 2 to 3 times/daily helps vaginal yeast infection. Yeast does not grow well in an acid environment. It is not a cure, but a control.

Comment from: gladys, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am tired of treating this STD called candidiasis for the past 10 years. I have visited the hospital, taken drugs like fluconazole, Gyno-Daktarin pessaries, doxycycline, Flagyl, Funbact-A, Amoxil, clotrimazole, etc., but to no avail. I had to throw all my underwear and get new ones and strictly keep to hygiene, but no way. I was later advice by my doctor that this type of candidiasis is very difficult to treat, i should go and get a natural yoghurt that has not been processed and douche with it, but it has not been easy for me to get the yoghurt. I am tired of this candidiasis.

Comment from: mrs6818, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I used a one-dose OTC yeast treatment and experienced extreme burning and am dealing with resultant tenderness 8 months later.

Comment from: Sara, 45-54 Female Published: September 13

I am using metronidazole gel (Flagyl).

Comment from: CBB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

With my yeast infections, I experience vaginal itching and then severe irritation. When I treat it with the 3-day, over-the-counter Monostat, it gets better. I have had two in one month, and I experience painful intercourse after treatment.

Vaginal Yeast Infection - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you found effective in soothing symptoms of vaginal yeast infection?
Vaginal Yeast Infection - Prescription Medications Question: What prescription medications were effective in treating your vaginal yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Symptoms Question: Women: What were your symptoms associated with a yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Causes Question: For women: What do you believe was the cause of yeast infection for you?
Yeast Infection - Causes In Men Question: For men: Did you have a yeast infection? If so, what was the cause?