Patient Comments: Vaginal Yeast Infection - Home Remedies

What home remedies have you found effective in soothing symptoms of vaginal yeast infection?

Comment from: Sunshine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Two home remedies I've found that works for me are yogurt (with no or very little sugar) and buttermilk. I take these at night, and my infection is better in just a day or two. Not cured, but better.

Comment from: tessa, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

Trust me women, this works. Try putting about a tablespoon plain yogurt inside you and wear a pad to sleep in. I had a vaginal yeast infection from a bubble bath and nothing worked. I bought plain yogurt, it was cold on contact, but instantly it worked. I had mine for a month, and it was horrible. Eating yogurt didn't help but this does, it stopped burning itching instantly, and I was fine the next morning. I did it again that morning and at night as I wanted to make sure, and then no more. It has been ten years and I haven't had one since then, good luck.

Comment from: Sickandtired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

You basically have to remove anything with yeast or sugar from your diet to really kill off a vaginal yeast infection. That includes yogurt if it has sugar added. Try probiotic supplements.

Comment from: Needs help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have recurring yeast infections, and I don't enjoy sex anymore because it's very painful. I tried the pill, Diflucan, and I am taking Nature's Cure. It gives me relief, but it doesn't get rid of it. I tried yogurt and I still can't shake it. I have tried a lot of medicines and have spent money going back and forth to different doctors looking for a cure.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been using an herbal supplement made by Azo specifically to prevent yeast infections. It works for me. I would use the miconazole for when you have an active infection, but if you are prone to them, try the Azo Yeast.

Comment from: Tami, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I never had yeast infections before going on "the pill," but now I have them regularly. I take acidophilus every day, and it really helps. Also, if you take antibiotics, eat yogurt or take more acidophilus than usual when you're done taking the antibiotics.

Vaginal Yeast Infection - OTC Medications Question: What OTC medications have you found effective in treating a vaginal yeast infection?
Vaginal Yeast Infection - Prescription Medications Question: What prescription medications were effective in treating your vaginal yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Symptoms Question: Women: What were your symptoms associated with a yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a yeast infection?
Yeast Infection - Causes Question: For women: What do you believe was the cause of yeast infection for you?
Yeast Infection - Causes In Men Question: For men: Did you have a yeast infection? If so, what was the cause?