- Take the Menopause Quiz
- Essential Screening Tests Every Woman Needs Slideshow
- Surprising Benefits of Sex Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Women's Health - Menopause Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Menstruation - Symptoms
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- Introduction to women's health
- Women's general health and wellness
- Female anatomy
- The female reproductive System
- Female hormones
- Diseases more common in women
- Cancer in women
- Women's cosmetic concerns
- Fertility, birth control, and infertility
- The mature woman - post menopause
Quick GuideWomen's Health: Nutrition and Health Care Reform
Optimally, all pregnancies would be planned well before conception. In the United States, it is currently estimated that 40% of all pregnancies are unplanned. This means that many women become pregnant before they are prepared.
The ideal time to start learning about pregnancy is not when a woman is already pregnant. In order for a future mother to maximize her chances of having a healthy baby, she should to know what she can do before she conceives and then what to do after she learns she is pregnant.
For a woman, pregnancy planning means learning everything she can about how her own health and that of her baby can be optimized. For example:
- The expectant mother needs to know about those diseases that can complicate a pregnancy by their existence or their treatment, such as depression, epilepsy, thyroid disease, asthma, lupus, or diabetes.
- If the mother smokes, she must stop, because women who smoke have a higher incidence of miscarriages and stillbirths.
- She needs to be aware of the dangers of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
- She must also know which drugs and medications she can continue to use safely and which ones she must avoid.
- There are also a number of prenatal tests that can monitor the health and development of her baby.
- Finally, she needs to plan ahead for the labor and delivery. Although pregnancy itself lasts only nine months, it is a period of time in which the maintenance of a woman's health is especially critical.