Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: wadehool, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I've had (WPW) Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome for 35 years and until recently it went undiagnosed. The episodes varied in duration, topping out at 11 straight hours. The symptoms are almost unbearable. I've passed out numerous times. My condition was finally discovered, and my heart doctor performed ablation surgery on my heart. It turned out that I had WPW and superventricular tachycardia. After having catheters run through both sides of my groin, the doctor was able to pinpoint and eliminate the trouble spots in my heart. Two days after surgery, I feel like a million bucks. My doctor thinks that I will never have another episode, and I don't even need to take any medication anymore. Amazing doctor and procedure!

Comment from: Candy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

With Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome symptoms, I would feel the rapid heart beat and if it continued for any length of time-half an hour or longer-my chest would begin to ache. No other symptoms ever occurred with the episodes and I was able, 99% of the time, to convert it by standing on my head.

Comment from: Sugar Cube, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 19, sitting in my college class when I felt my heart racing. I got up to tell the teacher something was wrong when I collapsed. Three hours later I woke up in the hospital. The doctor told me that in the ambulance my heart rate was 252 beats per minute (bpm). He said I was lucky I wasn't alone when it happened because my heart may have stopped all together. Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome was my diagnosis; I received an ablation a few days later. I haven't had any issues since.

Comment from: AKmiss, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My sister was just diagnosed at the age of 18 with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. She was doing absolutely nothing and her heart just started going crazy. Rapid heartbeat, feeling faint, and she said her heartbeat felt as if it was 'rolling.' She was told she would either have to be on medication for the rest of her life or they can go in through her femoral artery and do an ablation.

Comment from: wiillie76, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had problems before with very rapid heartbeat and in the last few years palpitations where my heart will slow and I feel it skips a beat. In the heat I will feel extremely hot with a rapid heartbeat limiting what I can do without feeling weak and faint so I went to the doctor thinking it was a problem with my blood pressure. They did an EKG and Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome was the diagnosis. Now I am wearing a heart monitor for 30 days. I have to limit how much hard physical labor I do now, as well as stress. I am 36 years old and feel fatigued.

Comment from: sybil, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome for 61 years, since age 11. I had numerous episodes until my 20s and then they seemed to go away for several years. When I reached my 60s the episodes became more frequent and I consulted about an ablation. I did not have it done, but am considering getting it now. I was interested in other ways of stopping the episodes. I have always lain down and if on a bed, I hang my left leg off the side. This seems to work for me. I am going to try the other methods when I have another episode.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: May 31

I was diagnosed last year. My friend had to take me to the ER as my heart was racing and I was shaking. The doctor thought I was having a heart attack. After a lot of tests, I was finally diagnosed. I still have chest pains, but I don't take medications for them.

Comment from: Champagne Nanna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was 30 years old (1970) which is normally when this abnormality manifests itself, and for six years after never had another occurrence. However, when it happened again in 1976 I was told that as I got older I would experience more problems, which unfortunately I did, culminating in cardiac arrest three times in as many minutes in 2009, when I was taken to the Intensive Care ward and my husband and children were called as I wasn't supposed to make it. Thanks to modern science I am still here and had an ablation at that time. Now, although 72, I am leading a relatively normal life style with the aid of Amiodorone which, as far as I am concerned, is a miracle worker. Once you have experienced tachycardia from WPW it won't go away. So my advice to WPW sufferers, especially young people, is to get an ablation as soon as possible and if you smoke, STOP. You won't regret it. My thanks to all the people involved with my recovery at the hospital.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?