Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: R, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was 4 years old. It was severe. I took medicine, had surgery four times and visited the hospital many, many times. The longest period my heart raced for was a little over two days. I don't remember the exact speed, but 300bpm is likely. I had multiple pathways, and I guess this made it more difficult for the medicine to work, and more difficult for the surgeries to be successful. Luckily after four surgeries (which were between, I believe, 10 and 16 hours long), all my pathways were ablated. That was when I was 10 years old. I am now 26 and can run and do activities like most anyone else. I'm grateful to the doctors who took care of me.

Comment from: Phil, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

With my Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, I have had palpitations and hypertension and fatigue.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome two years ago. I have had a few bad episodes where I just pass out, and I have hurt myself due to falling. I also had a very bad episode before I was diagnosed when I was having my son. I woke up and my heart rate was 200. The doctors had lines drawn on my stomach, and they were ready to take my son. I have fatigue and dizziness. I am scared to go for the treatment. I really do not want to have surgery. Do the medications seem to work well? I know I cannot keep passing out the way I have been doing the past couple of years, and I will soon need treatment.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome WPW in 1994 while pregnant with my son. Being pregnant the doctors did not want to put me on any medications that would interfere with my pregnancy. After my son was born I found out after an 8 hour heart catheter that I had WPW. They could not find the extra path and I was put on medication for 2 years. My symptoms increased (fast heart rates, fatigue, chest pain, heavy, tight chest). I went to another cardiologist, three years later, and another heart catheter was performed which they supposedly found the extra path and it was abated. Five years after that procedure the rapid heartbeats stared again. I have since been on medication for 10 years with symptoms progressively getting worse and the cardiologists seeming content to keep me on medication. Not really wanting to go thru another heart catheter but thinking there may not be another answer to (hopefully) finding the answer to my issues.

Comment from: Sammie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

None of you should be alarmed about Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. There are medications for this problem as well as the ablation. I started at age 21 with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. I was in and out of hospitals as not much was known then. In 1996 I had the first ablation done in Florida at age 45. I had been on medications prior to that. I have not had any problems since and I am now 60 years old. Do as the doctor says and you will be fine.

Comment from: scooby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Horrible sudden palpitations that feel really thumpy and like something is fluttering through my chest, I went all clammy and sweaty and found it slightly hard to breath and after when it subsided (ten minutes or so) my legs felt tingly and I was cold and looked really pale and felt very tired.

Comment from: rivergirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I started having episodes of heart palpitations in my early teens. It wasn't until I was in my 50's that the symptoms increased. Palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness. Recently I started having black-outs also. A heart specialist was called in and they found that I had Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. I went through a procedure called a heart ablation, and that seems to have taken care of the problem. It has been almost a month, and I have not had an episode since the procedure.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?