Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: May 31

I was diagnosed last year. My friend had to take me to the ER as my heart was racing and I was shaking. The doctor thought I was having a heart attack. After a lot of tests, I was finally diagnosed. I still have chest pains, but I don't take medications for them.

Comment from: Luvantique, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I learned as a child how to turn off these episodes and have gotten more proficient at it as I have aged. The process involves moving my head backward in such a way that it stretches and stimulates the vagus nerve. It takes some experimentation to find the right "feel," but it works under normal conditions. One of my triggers is low blood pressure, so too high a dose of blood pressure meds can trigger episodes. These are also very difficult to switch off and are usually more severe than spontaneous episodes. It is also often true that the longer an episode lasts before any effort is made to turn it off, the more difficult it is to switch off, and so nighttime events can be more bothersome.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 22 and I have had four ablations so far. I am going in in a month for a cryoablation. The procedure isn't that bad but when I first started having problems my heart rate got up to 288 bpm for 4.5 hours. The doctors had the crash cart out and all together this wasn't a fun time. If anyone else is suffering from this all I can say is to try to stay positive. Mine still isn't fixed and I will probably never be able to really enjoy myself but at least I'm still alive. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: ALS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I first started having symptoms when I was 12. My symptoms were rapid heartbeat, nausea, and dizziness. I had several episodes in a year before I was diagnosed. I had an ablation procedure to cure the syndrome shortly after I was diagnosed. The procedure was not successful the first time. The second ablation I received was successful and I have been symptom-free ever since.

Comment from: Nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My first episode of palpitations occured when I was only a few months old, and apparently I almost died. Since this time the palpitations and occasional 'thumping' occur several times a year and have caused me no problems at all. I discovered a simple way of stopping the palpitations when I was a child. I simply sit quietly, breath out, hold my nose and close my mouth and don't breathe in again until the palpitations stop. This usually takes 20-30 seconds during which time the palpitations feel more intense and 'thumpy' and my chest starts to heave involuntarily once or twice. Then my heart abruptly goes back to it's normal rhythm and I let go of my nose and start breathing normally again. I find that it is a peaceful and quick way of stopping the palpitations and always works for me.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have had since I was 17 and am now 58. My symptoms include an increased heart rate and if I let it go long enough, I will start getting light headed and feeling like I am going to faint. I have dealt with the racing by bending over and getting my heart below my waist. This slows down the racing immediately and you can actually feel the relief of the slowing rate. Sometimes you have to repeat this several times to get it to work, but eventually it slows the rate. I'm getting a stress test soon and probably an ablation to fix it before I gets too much older.

Comment from: ThomasZellner88, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with WPW about two years ago. I quickly learned to stay away from an abundance of caffeine, energy drinks, and over exertion. I need help with smoking though, I am highly addicted. I am a very active young adult with no ablation or medication.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?