Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 22 and I have had four ablations so far. I am going in in a month for a cryoablation. The procedure isn't that bad but when I first started having problems my heart rate got up to 288 bpm for 4.5 hours. The doctors had the crash cart out and all together this wasn't a fun time. If anyone else is suffering from this all I can say is to try to stay positive. Mine still isn't fixed and I will probably never be able to really enjoy myself but at least I'm still alive. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: ALS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I first started having symptoms when I was 12. My symptoms were rapid heartbeat, nausea, and dizziness. I had several episodes in a year before I was diagnosed. I had an ablation procedure to cure the syndrome shortly after I was diagnosed. The procedure was not successful the first time. The second ablation I received was successful and I have been symptom-free ever since.

Comment from: Nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My first episode of palpitations occured when I was only a few months old, and apparently I almost died. Since this time the palpitations and occasional 'thumping' occur several times a year and have caused me no problems at all. I discovered a simple way of stopping the palpitations when I was a child. I simply sit quietly, breath out, hold my nose and close my mouth and don't breathe in again until the palpitations stop. This usually takes 20-30 seconds during which time the palpitations feel more intense and 'thumpy' and my chest starts to heave involuntarily once or twice. Then my heart abruptly goes back to it's normal rhythm and I let go of my nose and start breathing normally again. I find that it is a peaceful and quick way of stopping the palpitations and always works for me.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have had since I was 17 and am now 58. My symptoms include an increased heart rate and if I let it go long enough, I will start getting light headed and feeling like I am going to faint. I have dealt with the racing by bending over and getting my heart below my waist. This slows down the racing immediately and you can actually feel the relief of the slowing rate. Sometimes you have to repeat this several times to get it to work, but eventually it slows the rate. I'm getting a stress test soon and probably an ablation to fix it before I gets too much older.

Comment from: ThomasZellner88, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with WPW about two years ago. I quickly learned to stay away from an abundance of caffeine, energy drinks, and over exertion. I need help with smoking though, I am highly addicted. I am a very active young adult with no ablation or medication.

Comment from: grey1234, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My 14 year old brother was just diagnosed with this disorder. He had none of the symptoms. It all started when doctors thought he might have bronchitis or pneumonia and did a chest x-ray. From the x-ray the doctors thought his heart might be enlarged and decided to send him to a cardiologist to have an echocardiogram done. The doctors said it was borderline enlarged so we all thought it was just because he was such a big kid (6'3" 220 lbs as a freshman in high school). The cardiologist found what looked to be an enlarged valve and thought it would be best to have a pediatric cardiologist take a look too. They diagnosed him the WPW syndrome.

Comment from: michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with WPQ when I was 23. I had never had any symptoms until I had gotten pregnant with my daughter at 21. For two years I lived with rapid heartbeats, dizzy spells, always being tired, and towards the end fainting at least once a week, but the doctors kept telling me I was just experiencing anxiety attacks. I knew something was wrong, but they wouldn't listen to me. Finally when I was 23 I went into cardiac arrest in my front yard and sure enough the doctors finally picked up the WPW on the EKG and by the next morning I was having the ablation done. A two hour surgery took 6 hours, and by the time I was in recovery it was back, I was back in surgery as soon as my 6 week recovery was up and this time the surgery took 9 hours and the reason being because I had three holes in my heart. I am 32 years old now and I have never felt better. I will still have some flutters from time to time, but I feel great and I pray I can stay this way.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?