Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have had since I was 17 and am now 58. My symptoms include an increased heart rate and if I let it go long enough, I will start getting light headed and feeling like I am going to faint. I have dealt with the racing by bending over and getting my heart below my waist. This slows down the racing immediately and you can actually feel the relief of the slowing rate. Sometimes you have to repeat this several times to get it to work, but eventually it slows the rate. I'm getting a stress test soon and probably an ablation to fix it before I gets too much older.

Comment from: ThomasZellner88, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with WPW about two years ago. I quickly learned to stay away from an abundance of caffeine, energy drinks, and over exertion. I need help with smoking though, I am highly addicted. I am a very active young adult with no ablation or medication.

Comment from: grey1234, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My 14 year old brother was just diagnosed with this disorder. He had none of the symptoms. It all started when doctors thought he might have bronchitis or pneumonia and did a chest x-ray. From the x-ray the doctors thought his heart might be enlarged and decided to send him to a cardiologist to have an echocardiogram done. The doctors said it was borderline enlarged so we all thought it was just because he was such a big kid (6'3" 220 lbs as a freshman in high school). The cardiologist found what looked to be an enlarged valve and thought it would be best to have a pediatric cardiologist take a look too. They diagnosed him the WPW syndrome.

Comment from: michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with WPQ when I was 23. I had never had any symptoms until I had gotten pregnant with my daughter at 21. For two years I lived with rapid heartbeats, dizzy spells, always being tired, and towards the end fainting at least once a week, but the doctors kept telling me I was just experiencing anxiety attacks. I knew something was wrong, but they wouldn't listen to me. Finally when I was 23 I went into cardiac arrest in my front yard and sure enough the doctors finally picked up the WPW on the EKG and by the next morning I was having the ablation done. A two hour surgery took 6 hours, and by the time I was in recovery it was back, I was back in surgery as soon as my 6 week recovery was up and this time the surgery took 9 hours and the reason being because I had three holes in my heart. I am 32 years old now and I have never felt better. I will still have some flutters from time to time, but I feel great and I pray I can stay this way.

Comment from: R, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was 4 years old. It was severe. I took medicine, had surgery four times and visited the hospital many, many times. The longest period my heart raced for was a little over two days. I don't remember the exact speed, but 300bpm is likely. I had multiple pathways, and I guess this made it more difficult for the medicine to work, and more difficult for the surgeries to be successful. Luckily after four surgeries (which were between, I believe, 10 and 16 hours long), all my pathways were ablated. That was when I was 10 years old. I am now 26 and can run and do activities like most anyone else. I'm grateful to the doctors who took care of me.

Comment from: Phil, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

With my Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, I have had palpitations and hypertension and fatigue.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome two years ago. I have had a few bad episodes where I just pass out, and I have hurt myself due to falling. I also had a very bad episode before I was diagnosed when I was having my son. I woke up and my heart rate was 200. The doctors had lines drawn on my stomach, and they were ready to take my son. I have fatigue and dizziness. I am scared to go for the treatment. I really do not want to have surgery. Do the medications seem to work well? I know I cannot keep passing out the way I have been doing the past couple of years, and I will soon need treatment.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?