Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: Champagne Nanna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was 30 years old (1970) which is normally when this abnormality manifests itself, and for six years after never had another occurrence. However, when it happened again in 1976 I was told that as I got older I would experience more problems, which unfortunately I did, culminating in cardiac arrest three times in as many minutes in 2009, when I was taken to the Intensive Care ward and my husband and children were called as I wasn't supposed to make it. Thanks to modern science I am still here and had an ablation at that time. Now, although 72, I am leading a relatively normal life style with the aid of Amiodorone which, as far as I am concerned, is a miracle worker. Once you have experienced tachycardia from WPW it won't go away. So my advice to WPW sufferers, especially young people, is to get an ablation as soon as possible and if you smoke, STOP. You won't regret it. My thanks to all the people involved with my recovery at the hospital.

Comment from: annupshaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had regular periods of palpitations from the age of 15, I was always told I was anxious, until I saw a different doctor when I was 29 I had started to black out I was diagnosed with WPWS during atrial pacing my heart beat was over 300 per minute, I had 3 children then and was told that if my heart had gone into that rhythm I could have died. I had an ablation which took 5 hours because the pathway would not go, but did eventually and I was fine until 2004. I then started having missed beats and had another ablation possibly from previous scaring. The last two years I have the same missed beats pattern getting more regular and may have to have another ablation with the possibility of having a pacemaker, I have missed beats, arrhythmia and chest pain, recently had a spell in hospital. However, I am finding it hard to convince the Cardiologist that I need something doing before I am having them every day like the last time, I'm wondering whether this is all related to the WPWS.

Comment from: emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed with wolff-parkinson-white about a year ago it wasn't that hard to decide to go through with surgery they thought I had one or two extra pathways but it turned out I had seven it took eight hours for the surgery and they could not get a pathway because it was too deep in the heart tissue they also found out that I had AV node tachycardia it was really quite interesting but it's gone now and my heart is three times better but I cannot have energy drinks.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 22 and I have had four ablations so far. I am going in in a month for a cryoablation. The procedure isn't that bad but when I first started having problems my heart rate got up to 288 bpm for 4.5 hours. The doctors had the crash cart out and all together this wasn't a fun time. If anyone else is suffering from this all I can say is to try to stay positive. Mine still isn't fixed and I will probably never be able to really enjoy myself but at least I'm still alive. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: ALS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I first started having symptoms when I was 12. My symptoms were rapid heartbeat, nausea, and dizziness. I had several episodes in a year before I was diagnosed. I had an ablation procedure to cure the syndrome shortly after I was diagnosed. The procedure was not successful the first time. The second ablation I received was successful and I have been symptom-free ever since.

Comment from: Nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My first episode of palpitations occured when I was only a few months old, and apparently I almost died. Since this time the palpitations and occasional 'thumping' occur several times a year and have caused me no problems at all. I discovered a simple way of stopping the palpitations when I was a child. I simply sit quietly, breath out, hold my nose and close my mouth and don't breathe in again until the palpitations stop. This usually takes 20-30 seconds during which time the palpitations feel more intense and 'thumpy' and my chest starts to heave involuntarily once or twice. Then my heart abruptly goes back to it's normal rhythm and I let go of my nose and start breathing normally again. I find that it is a peaceful and quick way of stopping the palpitations and always works for me.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?