Patient Comments: Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome?

Comment from: AKmiss, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My sister was just diagnosed at the age of 18 with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. She was doing absolutely nothing and her heart just started going crazy. Rapid heartbeat, feeling faint, and she said her heartbeat felt as if it was 'rolling.' She was told she would either have to be on medication for the rest of her life or they can go in through her femoral artery and do an ablation.

Comment from: wiillie76, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had problems before with very rapid heartbeat and in the last few years palpitations where my heart will slow and I feel it skips a beat. In the heat I will feel extremely hot with a rapid heartbeat limiting what I can do without feeling weak and faint so I went to the doctor thinking it was a problem with my blood pressure. They did an EKG and Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome was the diagnosis. Now I am wearing a heart monitor for 30 days. I have to limit how much hard physical labor I do now, as well as stress. I am 36 years old and feel fatigued.

Comment from: Champagne Nanna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was 30 years old (1970) which is normally when this abnormality manifests itself, and for six years after never had another occurrence. However, when it happened again in 1976 I was told that as I got older I would experience more problems, which unfortunately I did, culminating in cardiac arrest three times in as many minutes in 2009, when I was taken to the Intensive Care ward and my husband and children were called as I wasn't supposed to make it. Thanks to modern science I am still here and had an ablation at that time. Now, although 72, I am leading a relatively normal life style with the aid of Amiodorone which, as far as I am concerned, is a miracle worker. Once you have experienced tachycardia from WPW it won't go away. So my advice to WPW sufferers, especially young people, is to get an ablation as soon as possible and if you smoke, STOP. You won't regret it. My thanks to all the people involved with my recovery at the hospital.

Comment from: annupshaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had regular periods of palpitations from the age of 15, I was always told I was anxious, until I saw a different doctor when I was 29 I had started to black out I was diagnosed with WPWS during atrial pacing my heart beat was over 300 per minute, I had 3 children then and was told that if my heart had gone into that rhythm I could have died. I had an ablation which took 5 hours because the pathway would not go, but did eventually and I was fine until 2004. I then started having missed beats and had another ablation possibly from previous scaring. The last two years I have the same missed beats pattern getting more regular and may have to have another ablation with the possibility of having a pacemaker, I have missed beats, arrhythmia and chest pain, recently had a spell in hospital. However, I am finding it hard to convince the Cardiologist that I need something doing before I am having them every day like the last time, I'm wondering whether this is all related to the WPWS.

Comment from: emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed with wolff-parkinson-white about a year ago it wasn't that hard to decide to go through with surgery they thought I had one or two extra pathways but it turned out I had seven it took eight hours for the surgery and they could not get a pathway because it was too deep in the heart tissue they also found out that I had AV node tachycardia it was really quite interesting but it's gone now and my heart is three times better but I cannot have energy drinks.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: May 31

I was diagnosed last year. My friend had to take me to the ER as my heart was racing and I was shaking. The doctor thought I was having a heart attack. After a lot of tests, I was finally diagnosed. I still have chest pains, but I don't take medications for them.

Comment from: Luvantique, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I learned as a child how to turn off these episodes and have gotten more proficient at it as I have aged. The process involves moving my head backward in such a way that it stretches and stimulates the vagus nerve. It takes some experimentation to find the right "feel," but it works under normal conditions. One of my triggers is low blood pressure, so too high a dose of blood pressure meds can trigger episodes. These are also very difficult to switch off and are usually more severe than spontaneous episodes. It is also often true that the longer an episode lasts before any effort is made to turn it off, the more difficult it is to switch off, and so nighttime events can be more bothersome.

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - ECG Question: Did you ever have an ECG while you were suffering acute symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?