Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Pain

Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?

Comment from: 1bigbadmam, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I had wisdom teeth removed 15 1/2 years ago and I got a dry socket. My son just had it done today, 18 1/2 years old. Vicodin made him vomit 3 times so they want him to take Motrin/Advil 600 - 800 mg instead. They really had to dig one out they stated; he says 3 didn"t really hurt, just that one! It is so worth doing all 4 at once though! Keep ice on too as directed.

Comment from: steven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Yes, I don't care what the dentist says, it is painful. After the anesthetic wears off there is a constant throbbing pain in the mouth for 24 hours. I had to take two days off work to recuperate.

Comment from: AM, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

The removal doesn't hurt; it's the recovery when you feel pain. Personally, I had an awful experience. They started me on nitrous to calm me down and I started seeing black dots so that was a no-go. Then they gave me a calming medicine through an IV as well as the medicine used to make me unconscious. The surgery took roughly 20-30 minutes. I only have stitches on the bottom and I am in pain – although not excruciating pain – now that the numbness is wearing off. They prescribed me oxycodone (5 mg) and it's helping. The first two days I suggest using ice on your cheeks for swelling. After that, use moist heat for pain.

Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications Question: Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom Teeth - Recovery Question: How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?