Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Pain

Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?

Comment from: Lisa2020, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 17

I had my wisdom teeth cut out about a week ago. I had 3 done at once but they put me to sleep which was the only way I would do it, but after ever thing wore off I was in pain. After a week later one side of my teeth, the ones they did not pull though, are killing me. I never had pain with them before, so I am hoping it stops soon. I am going crazy, about to lose my mind with all my teeth hurting.

Comment from: cks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I've had my wisdom teeth removed December 3rd last. Before surgery I had to take 2 paracetamol or ibuprofen, but because I had to take medicines for my acne it was suggested that I take paracetamol. The surgery wasn't painful. After surgery I had to take the 2 paracetamol after every 4 hours. The next day there was no pain so I stopped taking them. I only couldn't talk or open my mouth for 3 days. I ate soup or any soft foods. Apply ice on your cheek, as that helps with the swelling. Don't use straw, or chew the first 3 days, just rest. After each meal clean your mouth with salt water. Just do what the dentist instructs you to do and all will be fine.

Comment from: Red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had my wisdom tooth vigorously removed last Saturday I have been in severe pain since then. I visited the dentist twice already and was given amoxicillin, but no improvement. It is followed now by metronidazole which gives me stomach pains and loss of taste buds. I hope to recover for 31st.

Comment from: 1bigbadmam, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I had wisdom teeth removed 15 1/2 years ago and I got a dry socket. My son just had it done today, 18 1/2 years old. Vicodin made him vomit 3 times so they want him to take Motrin/Advil 600 - 800 mg instead. They really had to dig one out they stated; he says 3 didn"t really hurt, just that one! It is so worth doing all 4 at once though! Keep ice on too as directed.

Comment from: steven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Yes, I don't care what the dentist says, it is painful. After the anesthetic wears off there is a constant throbbing pain in the mouth for 24 hours. I had to take two days off work to recuperate.

Comment from: carlthea0315, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am 22 years old and I'm 2 months pregnant. I am suffering so much pain in my wisdom tooth.

Comment from: AM, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

The removal doesn't hurt; it's the recovery when you feel pain. Personally, I had an awful experience. They started me on nitrous to calm me down and I started seeing black dots so that was a no-go. Then they gave me a calming medicine through an IV as well as the medicine used to make me unconscious. The surgery took roughly 20-30 minutes. I only have stitches on the bottom and I am in pain – although not excruciating pain – now that the numbness is wearing off. They prescribed me oxycodone (5 mg) and it's helping. The first two days I suggest using ice on your cheeks for swelling. After that, use moist heat for pain.

Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications Question: Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom Teeth - Recovery Question: How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?