Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I'm a 39 year old female, had all four wisdom teeth extracted. All four were under the gums, it has been 10 days and I'm still in pain. It is not so severe that I need a heavy pain killer, just throbs and is very irritating. I am ready to feel myself again.

Comment from: Grace, Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I'm in my late 40s and had four wisdom teeth surgically removed on Thursday the 10th November. The lower two were impacted and close to the nerve. These 2 required stitches. The upper two were straight forward, although one was close to the sinus area. I took a strong painkiller that night, which left me feeling quite ill. The following 3 days I took ibuprofen and felt no pain. I took paracetamol the next 3 days and still no pain. I am still only eating soft food and rinsing my mouth with salt water. I stopped taking medication and the pain came. The pain is on one side, starts at the back on one side, then moves along the jawline to the front of my mouth, then along the top teeth. When I take paracetamol, the pain stops after about 40 minutes, and then I feel ok for about 6 or 7 hours. I didn't expect to still be in pain 8 days after the procedure. I am glad that I don't have to take strong painkillers. The general physician has checked my mouth and there is no infection present. The swelling subsided within a few days and the bruising was mostly gone by a week. It looks like more soft food for me for a while.

Comment from: Simone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Friday the 18th March my surgeon removed both my bottom impacted wisdom teeth. It is now Monday and I still look like a chipmunk! I don't have any real pain, just pain from my swollen face and my mouth looks okay inside, but I'm getting fever and I don't know why because I am on antibiotics.

Comment from: Owie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 45, I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday. It's Monday now and I still feel awful. I am trying not to take the Vicodin anymore because it just makes me loopy, but I just feel bad all over. I have stomach ache, headache, nausea, fuzzy feeling in my head. My jaw and site of the extractions did hurt quite a bit but have subsided, but I still feel horrible. Don't wait until you're middle-aged to get them out. Do it while you're young and can recover faster.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I had my wisdom tooth extracted on 30th November and today it is the 5th day and the pain seems to be less. I am having antibiotics and pain killers. As my dental surgeon was good, hopefully I shall recover within next 2 or 3 days. It is tough taking good food from one side, being a food lover.

Comment from: whats goin on, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had two top and one bottom wisdom teeth removed on 9/16/2015 and now it is 11/20/2015 and I'm still on pain killers for the side that had two removed. I've seen my surgeon and he still says it is healing fine. I don't think so.

Comment from: VS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I took penicillin for about 1 week, eating soft food and rinsing with salt water. My wisdom teeth surgery recovery was over within 2 weeks.

Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications Question: Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom Teeth - Pain Question: Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?