Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

Comment from: Simone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Friday the 18th March my surgeon removed both my bottom impacted wisdom teeth. It is now Monday and I still look like a chipmunk! I don't have any real pain, just pain from my swollen face and my mouth looks okay inside, but I'm getting fever and I don't know why because I am on antibiotics.

Comment from: Owie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 45, I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday. It's Monday now and I still feel awful. I am trying not to take the Vicodin anymore because it just makes me loopy, but I just feel bad all over. I have stomach ache, headache, nausea, fuzzy feeling in my head. My jaw and site of the extractions did hurt quite a bit but have subsided, but I still feel horrible. Don't wait until you're middle-aged to get them out. Do it while you're young and can recover faster.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I had my wisdom tooth extracted on 30th November and today it is the 5th day and the pain seems to be less. I am having antibiotics and pain killers. As my dental surgeon was good, hopefully I shall recover within next 2 or 3 days. It is tough taking good food from one side, being a food lover.

Comment from: whats goin on, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had two top and one bottom wisdom teeth removed on 9/16/2015 and now it is 11/20/2015 and I'm still on pain killers for the side that had two removed. I've seen my surgeon and he still says it is healing fine. I don't think so.

Comment from: VS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I took penicillin for about 1 week, eating soft food and rinsing with salt water. My wisdom teeth surgery recovery was over within 2 weeks.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I thought I was losing my mind. I had one wisdom tooth extracted over a week ago and it still hurts. The side of my mouth where the extraction was, is very painful, slowly subsiding. The lower jawbone, upper jawbone and surrounding teeth all hurt. I followed the steps for after care, even rinsing with warm salty water. Nothing seemed to help. I went back to my dentist and he treated me for a dry socket and gave me antibiotics too. It is still painful and I am still having to take pain medicine. Besides dealing with the pain, I have dealt with the feeling that others think I should not be hurting after this long time. I am tired of hurting and want it to stop.

Comment from: yad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

It has been 8 days since I had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out and I've finished my antibiotic metronidazole and it's still painful. Soreness of my inner cheek was nasty too though that has healed. Hope to be better soon!

Comment from: Bector, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had mine removed and needed a stronger antibiotic. They changed me from penicillin to clindamycin, a big mistake. A few days into the antibiotic, I became very weak and had horrible diarrhea, gas and bloating. It turns out I had pseudomembranous colitis. The recovery from that was 2 to 3 weeks long and very scary.

Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications Question: Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom Teeth - Pain Question: Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?