Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I thought I was losing my mind. I had one wisdom tooth extracted over a week ago and it still hurts. The side of my mouth where the extraction was, is very painful, slowly subsiding. The lower jawbone, upper jawbone and surrounding teeth all hurt. I followed the steps for after care, even rinsing with warm salty water. Nothing seemed to help. I went back to my dentist and he treated me for a dry socket and gave me antibiotics too. It is still painful and I am still having to take pain medicine. Besides dealing with the pain, I have dealt with the feeling that others think I should not be hurting after this long time. I am tired of hurting and want it to stop.

Comment from: yad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

It has been 8 days since I had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out and I've finished my antibiotic metronidazole and it's still painful. Soreness of my inner cheek was nasty too though that has healed. Hope to be better soon!

Comment from: Bector, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had mine removed and needed a stronger antibiotic. They changed me from penicillin to clindamycin, a big mistake. A few days into the antibiotic, I became very weak and had horrible diarrhea, gas and bloating. It turns out I had pseudomembranous colitis. The recovery from that was 2 to 3 weeks long and very scary.

Published: July 31

Surprisingly, I am feeling great. I got mine removed at 8 a.m. yesterday, and the bleeding stopped really soon and my is face is barely swollen. I also did the saltwater rinse this morning (didn't even hurt), and I tried brushing my teeth to get a lot of the bacteria out. Anyways, I stopped taking Vicodin and I'm only using the ibuprofen (working well).

Comment from: Jimmy H, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I had my wisdom teeth pulled Friday and now it's Thursday and I can't sleep at night. I'm terribly sore and I want it to stop! My pills are not even helping.

Comment from: Precious, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I can't take it anymore, extracted a wisdom tooth this morning and the pain is severe.

Comment from: (:, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

i had my wisdom teeth pulled on july 3rd. its now july 17th and im still in pain. my jaw, all my other teeth and up in my ear ache so bad.

Comment from: OUCH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I had two pulled and two cut out. The ones I had pulled I had minimal pain that was tolerable without meds. The two I got surgically removed are still painful 72 hours later. Percocet isn't doing much for me at all.

Comment from: adjrbens, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had almost no recovery time needed when I had my wisdom teeth extracted. Two were impacted and the oral surgeon did a great job. There was also very little pain involved in the extractions themselves.

Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications Question: Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom Teeth - Pain Question: Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?