Patient Comments: Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications

Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.

Comment from: donsmemory, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a wisdom tooth removed on the 23rd of April. Today's date is the 4th of May and I'm still in pain. I have been prescribed co-codamol and it makes me sleep through the pain but until it kicks in my system I'm in pain with my jaw aching and awful earache. I just want it to stop, I wish I'd have left the tooth alone.

Comment from: Jim-in-Creedmoor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I was apprehensive about my wisdom teeth removal. At age 61 I developed a cavity which my normal dentist did not notice. When I changed dentists, I was told my #1 wisdom tooth was decayed and needed to be extracted. I delayed having it done, but it was painless, quick, relatively cheap at $227 and quite the non-issue. I now have my 28 non-wisdom and not a cavity or repair in any of them.

Comment from: iMhO36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I knew my problem was my wisdom teeth and the dentist took 2 out but I asked him to take them all out. He said and I quote, “oh don't worry they won't cause you any problems.” Five years later and I'm about to die in pain and the first time I looked like he beat my face with a bat. I have horrid swelling and bruising and I don't bruise easily at all. Make sure you see a great dentist, the cost is well worth it. I live in a small town and had no prior need for a dental surgeon. I'll never use anyone form here again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

This has been a horrible experience. I had 2 wisdom teeth removed, and had dry socket the next day. Follow all of the instructions after the surgery to avoid this. Read all of the information that is given to you. It is very painful, don"t risk it. Good luck.

Comment from: Harwell, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. It is now Tuesday and I am still in pain. I followed all the rules and guidelines to take care of the surgical sites and I still got an infection and my face was swollen until Sunday. I also got a dry socket in one of the holes, but today I am finally feeling better. My entire jawline is still very sore and bruised.

Wisdom Teeth - Recovery Question: How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?
Wisdom Teeth - Pain Question: Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?
Wisdom Teeth - Cost Question: Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?