How does Willow Bark work?
Willow bark contains a chemical similar to aspirin.
Are there safety concerns?
Willow bark seems to be safe for most people when used for short amounts of time (up to 12 weeks).
It may cause stomach upset and digestive system upset. It can also cause itching
, and allergic reactions, particularly in people allergic to aspirin. Do not use in children.
Do not use willow bark if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You are allergic to aspirin.
- You have asthma.
- You have ulcers.
- You have diabetes.
- You have gout.
- You have hemophilia.
- You have hypoprothrombinemia.
- You have kidney or liver disease.
- You are scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks. Willow bark might increase the risk of bleeding.