Patient Comments: Whiplash - Treatments

What was the treatment for your whiplash?

Comment from: Gotur6, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

In 2013, after years of delaying it, I had a 3 level ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) of C3 to C7. Recovery took about 7 to 8 months. Two months later I started experiencing the same issues as before, but they'd be gone the next day. I told the doctor and he did an MRI that showed all was good. Three months later, I couldn't stand it anymore so I went back to see him. A CT scan showed a raging bone infection had dissolved 75 percent of the C5 vertebrae. The pain was from the screws in the plate wiggling around and hitting my spinal cord. Immediate surgery to remove all the hardware, 3 months on 5 IV antibiotics and another 3 months on heavy duty oral antibiotics before the all clear sign. I was in a Miami collar the whole time. Another 6 months went by before I was back to a close to normal routine. About a month later I was rear ended by a tractor trailer at about 40 mph. I had instant pain from the whiplash that grew worse as we waited for the highway patrol to finish the report. Now, almost 7 months later, still no improvement. I have spent the last 3 months in physical therapy twice weekly and though the no 'significant' changes show up on the x-ray or MRI, no one can tell me why my left arm is 2 1/2 inches smaller than it was a year ago. Nerve studies show irreparable nerve damage in my left arm and hand. I have severe headaches daily. I have numbness in my left ring and pinky finger as well as my left thumb. My hand will twitch for no good reason and the list goes on and on almost exactly like before. The surgeon told me today that at this point, the damage is likely permanent.

Comment from: hopeful4healing, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was rear ended by a truck at a stop light. It felt like a train hit me. I was hospitalized for 3 days with pain and CT scans showed some signs of narrowing in the neck. For 9 months I went to 3 physiotherapists, 5 medications, and a neurosurgeon. I had dizziness, nausea, headaches, crying jags for 9 months due to pain, could not do anything, and went to the emergency room twice. Medicine didn't help. Finally had a bone scan from a gamma machine which showed from the accident I had a marked showing of inflammation in the C6 vertebra due to the whiplash. Ask for a bone scan!

Comment from: Alance, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

For whiplash I was given muscle relaxers and Motrin.

Comment from: victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was rear ended in 2003. The other vehicle was full size dodge pickup. I was sitting at a red light. I have received 30 botox shots in my head 3yrs. I saw a neurologist he was great lots of rehabilitation a lot of meds. I stopped them all but a couple, life's great. I got violently pushed a week ago, now life sucks again, head injuries are very serious.

Comment from: Nurse M, Female (Patient) Published: April 03

After being in an accident on a Friday night, I was told to pack my neck in an ice pack for 72 hours non-stop. I had whiplash damage on both sides and a slight concussion. On Monday morning after the doctor saw me, I started physical therapy for almost two months every other day. Currently, I have no symptoms, and was declared “good to go” after three months. I think it's important to start therapy as early as possible. I got my nursing job five months after the accident and have been symptom-free for eight years and counting. The Doctor advised against a collar, as it only makes neck muscles weaker. A really good physiotherapist can work wonders.

Whiplash - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your whiplash?
Whiplash - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with whiplash.