Patient Comments: Whiplash - Experience

Please describe your experience with whiplash.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I fell backwards at work almost five years ago. I fractured both my wrists. Since then I've experienced sharp pains in them both along with migrating numbness and pain that goes up my arms. My balance has been messed up since the fall and I've experienced headaches, shoulder and neck aches, and loss of strength in both hands. Now I'm losing strength in my legs and I'm stuttering. I have to push to urinate and have bowel movements. I didn't experience these symptoms until my fall and they have since discovered I have a herniated disk in my neck to the point of the disc is pushing against my cord & cutting off the fluid to the spinal column. They didn't investigate the disc until late in 2011. I've been told my gate and speech have nothing to do with the injury, and because the disc wasn't found for such a long period of time after my fall it doesn't have anything to do with my initial injury. I've been experiencing most of these problems since the fall but they're getting worse. I've been to two neurologists, three orthopedic doctors, and had three nerve conduction tests, along with physical therapy. Nobody can say the disc was the fault of the fall, and one 1 neurologist said it takes 5-7 years sometimes for the effects of a whiplash to show up. I'm beside myself as far as what to do next or where to turn.

Whiplash - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your whiplash?
Whiplash - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your whiplash?