Patient Comments: West Nile Virus - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with West Nile virus?

Comment from: Ray, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 11

One weekend I developed chills just before bedtime. Shortly after I began to experience high fever, body ache, and a fairly respectable headache. I had a 4 hour drive the next day, and after getting home I took a long shower, hoping to kick the crud. By nightfall my headache had turned into this crushing migraine (new to me) and the debilitating chills and fever returned with a vengeance. I was useless for the next few days -- weak, low fever on and off, and generally feeling puny. By day three I had a moderate number of itchy little blisters on my knuckles and fingers, like mild poison ivy. Bigger spots than a rash, but not really proper blisters, annoying more than anything. It later occurred to me that all this took place just 7 days after a hunting weekend, where I was out with the skeeters all night, indicating West Nile virus.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

In 2005 I was diagnosed with West Nile virus. I was experiencing body aches and pain in my joints and bones. I had no energy and could not stand for very long. Within a day I started with a low grade fever that elevated quickly and continued for nine straight days. On the ninth day I started sweating where I had to change bed clothes three times. It was like I had stepped out of the shower. Immediately after my fever broke I developed a severe headache that lasted for three days. Then I took pneumonia in both lungs and was very ill for a month. My memory has never been the same. I have word loss and my short term memory is not anywhere as sharp as it was before West Nile. I also have days where I run a low grade fever for no reason with chronic fatigue. I have since developed fibromyalgia and thyroid problems. I have an unexplained amount of infection in my body that shows up in all my blood test.

Comment from: Jake1648, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was feeling so tired, shaky, nauseous, full and sweaty for a week or two, no one sent me for blood work for West Nile till I asked them to. Lo and behold, I do have the virus but I feel like I am going through the symptoms again. I feel like I am fighting this by myself.

Comment from: Diane, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 22

I have a friend who felt ill last night and messaged everyone last night with this, "I've been so dizzy all day that I can hardly stand, I'm nauseous, vomiting, my vision is covered in bright squiggly lines (like someone put a bright light in front of me), and my feet keep going numb." She just updated all of us and said she went to the ER and they told her she has West Nile.

West Nile Virus - Cause Question: How did you get West Nile virus? Were you traveling when you became ill?
West Nile Virus - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you or someone you know receive for West Nile virus?
West Nile Virus - Community Risk Question: How does your at-risk community help prevent outbreaks of West Nile virus?