Weight Lifting Index
Featured: Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise) Main Article
Weight lifting (resistance exercise) is exercise where muscles contract against an external resistance with the intent of increasing muscle endurance, mass, tone, and/or strength. Types of resistance training include power lifting, Olympic weight lifting, strength training, and weight lifting. Resistance exercise may help lower high blood pressure, improve insulin resistance, and prevent osteoporosis.
Migraine headaches are
severe headaches that are
sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...learn more »
In This Article
Migraine Headache Article
- Migraine headache definition and facts
- What is a migraine headache?
- What is migraine with aura?
- What are migraine triggers?
- What are the signs and symptoms?
- What causes migraines?
- What are the risk factors?
- How can I tell if it's a migraine or a different type of headache?
- What are the treatments for migraine headaches?
- Migraine medications
- What remedies and lifestyle changes help manage and decrease the frequency of migraines?
- How are migraines managed during pregnancy?
- How are migraines managed in children?
- What is the prognosis for a person with migraines?
- Can the frequency of headaches be prevented?
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...learn more »
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...learn more »
In This Article
- Osteoporosis facts
- What is osteoporosis?
- What are osteoporosis causes and risk factors?
- What are osteoporosis symptoms and signs?
- What are the consequences of osteoporosis?
- Why is osteoporosis an important public health issue?
- What factors determine bone strength?
- What tests do health care professionals use in the diagnosis of osteoporosis?
- What types of health care professionals treat osteoporosis?
- Who should have bone density testing?
- What is the treatment for osteoporosis, and can osteoporosis be prevented?
- Exercise, quitting cigarettes, and curtailing alcohol
- Calcium supplements for osteoporosis
- Vitamin D for osteoporosis
- Can adding certain foods to one's diet help to prevent osteoporosis?
- Are there foods to avoid when it comes to osteoporosis?
- Hormone therapy (menopausal hormone therapy)
- Medications that prevent bone loss and breakdown
- Choosing an osteoporosis medication
- Prevention of osteoporosis due to long-term corticosteroids
- Monitoring osteoporosis therapy
- Prevention of hip fractures in elderly people with osteoporosis
- What are complications of osteoporosis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with osteoporosis?
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...learn more »
In This Article
Insulin Resistance Article
- Insulin resistance definition and facts
- What is insulin resistance?
- What are the signs and symptoms of insulin resistance?
- What causes insulin resistance?
- What is the relationship between insulin resistance and diabetes?
- What are normal insulin levels?
- What medical conditions are associated with insulin resistance?
- Who is at risk for insulin resistance?
- Which specialties of doctors treat insulin resistance?
- Is there a test for insulin resistance?
- Can insulin resistance be cured?
- Is there a special diet plan for treating insulin resistance?
- What foods help prevent type 2 diabetes?
- What about exercise to treat insulin resistance?
- What medications treat insulin resistance?
- Can insulin resistance be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a person with insulin resistance?
- What's new in insulin resistance?
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...learn more »
In This Article
- Osteopenia facts
- What is osteopenia?
- Osteopenia vs. osteoporosis
- Osteopenia vs. osteomalacia
- What risk factors and causes of osteopenia?
- What are osteopenia symptoms and signs?
- Why is osteopenia important?
- When should someone see a doctor for osteopenia?
- What types of specialists treat osteopenia?
- What tests do health care professionals use to diagnose osteopenia?
- Who should be tested for osteopenia?
- What is the treatment for osteopenia?
- Is there a recommended diet for people with osteopenia?
- What follow-up is needed after treatment of osteopenia has been initiated?
- Is it possible to prevent osteopenia?
- Is osteopenia reversible?
- What is the prognosis of osteopenia?